Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht snub O'Sullivan

Options
  • 20-12-2012 8:49am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I am very disappointed that I didn't get called to interview. I thought it was reasonable to expect to sit down with them to discuss the vision I had for Connacht, especially given my background," said O'Sullivan (right), who lives in Moylough in Co Galway and is now likely to concentrate on securing a coaching position abroad. "It is extremely disappointing not to get that opportunity to lay out my vision for Connacht."
    www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/eddie-osullivan-slams-connacht-over-interview-snub-3332424.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

To be honest I don't like the fact that EOS is moaning to the press, it comes across as sour grapes, but it is amazing that one of our best coaching talents is being pissed away by the IRFU/the provinces.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I think he's just frustrated. He's been trying to get back into coaching for some time now and he doesn't seem to be getting anywhere.

Don't understand this move by Connacht. He is a top quality coach and given some of the other names that have been bandied about is definitely worthy of serious consideration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

To be honest I don't like the fact that EOS is moaning to the press, it comes across as sour grapes, but it is amazing that one of our best coaching talents is being pissed away by the IRFU/the provinces.

Have to agree. He should keep his mouth closed until the process is over. If they had ever any intention of meeting him later on in the process(if first choice options fall through), its unlikely now imo.

I fail to see where his sense of entitlement comes from... do Connacht owe him something?

Applied for a job, didn't get called for interview.

So what?

Connacht possibly should have been more interested in him (I definitely think so anyway) but nothing he can do about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,855 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

slowburner wrote: »

I think it is sour grapes from him but I wonder did money come in to it. A person Like EOS (like or loathe him) would command a highish wage and could they/would they pay it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

I think he has a right to feel aggrieved. Perhaps he shouldn't be airing that publicly (although I'm sure he was contacted and asked for comment) but I find the entire situation wasteful. We have an extremely talented and proven coach with significant experience within Irish rugby. He has been known to be innovative, tactically sharp and structure focused. He actually lives in Galway so would have no issues in terms of relocating himself or family.

Instead, we're looking at guys who have patchy coaching careers up to now looking to restart their career at Connacht. Tony Hanks is name checked in that article. I hope that's a joke. If someone who has been sacked mid contract at their last two jobs is deemed more suitable, I'd wonder what amount of influence those who have history with EOS have in the matter.

I can't fathom why they wouldn't at least sit down with the guy. If someone has a better vision or is more talented than him, then grand, hire them then. Cutting off your nose to spite your face, comes to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

I think they were right not to consider him. But let's see who will be queueing up for your services Eddie.

liammur wrote: »
    I think they were right not to consider him. But let's see who will be queueing up for your services Eddie.

why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Poor decision not to interview him imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Seems like a bad decision by Connacht

I can only assume they didn't think they could afford him but they should at least have called him in for a chat, seems wrong to ignore him for it especially as he lives in the area already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭The Jaw

In fairness if you look at O'Sullivan, he did leave them in the lurch a few years ago when he just left prior to a pre-season tour ( I think to Sweden randomly). That is when Gatland was brought back over. H also walked out on Galwegians at a seconds notice mid-season too.
    If the press are to be believed he missed out on the Edinburgh job to Bradley. No major team has looked at him. He has never coached in the Heineken Cup ( I am not even sure if the Celtic League/ Magners) was set up last time he coached a club)
    I also think people are not being exactly clear in their memories of him with Ireland. Yes the RWC in France was a cluster f*ck but we did not really pull up many trees before that. A few triple crowns against a crap Scottish team, inconsistent Welsh and pretty poor English team for lots of it. We were not that great most of the time, and with D'arcy playing amazing, O'Driscoll at his best, Hogan, Hickie etc, so this talk of " one of the greatest rugby minds in this country" is well overstated.
    If no major clubs have looked at him in the few years he has left Ireland then there must be something in the background ( personality, wage demands, reputation, skill-set) that we do not know about.
    Why should Connacht interview him just because he lives close by?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Seems like a bad decision by Connacht

I can only assume they didn't think they could afford him but they should at least have called him in for a chat, seems wrong to ignore him for it especially as he lives in the area already
    ".
    Eddie and his "favourite 15" and Connacht being the "development province" don't exactly rhyme. Sorry couldn't help it.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭frankie2shoes

I think its a disgrace that he didnt get an interview. He is one of Irelands best ever coaches and should not be judged only on the poor decisions made at the end of his tenure. remember it was his team that won the grand slam (even kidney admitted that). I called for his head as much as every one else did back then but he's an internationally proven coach, living in Ireland with an intimate knowledge of irish rugby, he should at least be given an opportunity to sell himself.
    I reckon its all politics and he's pi**ed them off in the IRFU and they won't even entertain him. The best interests of Connaught rugby should come first and if that means taking an hour out to interview a strong candidate then that should be the priority. If he's not suited, well thats fine, but at least have the conversation......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

I think its a disgrace that he didnt get an interview. He is one of Irelands best ever coaches and should not be judged only on the poor decisions made at the end of his tenure. remember it was his team that won the grand slam (even kidney admitted that). I called for his head as much as every one else did back then but he's an internationally proven coach, living in Ireland with an intimate knowledge of irish rugby, he should at least be given an opportunity to sell himself.
    I reckon its all politics and he's pi**ed them off in the IRFU and they won't even entertain him. The best interests of Connaught rugby should come first and if that means taking an hour out to interview a strong candidate then that should be the priority. If he's not suited, well thats fine, but at least have the conversation......

You are right. If we are too encourage players to go to Connacht when they can't get into one of the other 3, they need a decent coach to convince them that it will help their development.

I'm very clear in my memories of Ireland under EOS. We beat England 4 years running. We stuffed Australia and South Africa in Dublin and almost beat Australia in their own back yard in the WC. We went toe to toe with NZ in NZ several times and had them on the ropes. We sliced open weaker sides at will. We were ranked 3rd in the world. We repeatedly failed to get over the finishing line in the 6N and that's a black mark, undoubtedly.

It's not just because he lives close by although that makes things logistically easier. It's because he has shown aptitude against teams that were considered the best in the world. He clearly knows rugby. There's absolutely nothing to be lost by sitting down with him. The reason I find it all very odd is those that they are looking at interviewing have pretty patchy CVs punctuated by sackings. They're applying to Connacht in an effort to restart their careers, just like EOS.

I do think that there might be more than meets the eye in terms of personality etc. but nobody in Connacht has worked with the guy before so I still fail to see what's to be lost by sitting down with him.

We beat a South African team bringing over a lot of new caps to blood them in Ireland ( Incidentially guys who have a lot of caps now) and Australia in a horrible wet day in Lansdowne. And we did not stuff them. We beat they nicely but did not stuff them. Toe to Toe with New Zealand. We did not slice weaker teams open at will. We hammered Italy in the last day of a 6 Nations. I remember that because it was so bloody amazing to see an Irish team play that way. England with Andy Robinson and John Wells were rubbish.
    We were finshed third a few times in the 6 Nations.EOS said publicly a number of times that "developing players is not my remit. Winning is". He knifed Gatland in the back to get the job. Look at where Gatland is now compared to EOS.
    We were not that good under him ( We were good, but not THAT good). He has proved to be somewhat self-serving and never got the best out of the players he had.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It's very clear there's something personal going on. There's no justification to not talking to him at all, given he lives in Galway.

I can't remember whose on the committee, but either someone there has a past with him or they've had instructions to shut him out.

This whole thing seems to be running a bit weirdly, I worry we're going to end up with someone useless out west.

It's very clear there's something personal going on. There's no justification to not talking to him at all, given he lives in Galway.

I can't remember whose on the committee, but either someone there has a past with him or they've had instructions to shut him out.

This whole thing seems to be running a bit weirdly, I worry we're going to end up with someone useless out west.

That is not a justification to talk to him at all.

That is not a justification to talk to him at all.

No it isn't, on its own. But they might as well let him come in and express his ideas if he's living in the community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Well that's the crux of it, isn't it?

Like, if they're not talking to Eddie because Guy Noves fancies a change of scenery, then fair enough. If they're not talking to him because of what happened in 07-08 or something he said in his book, then I'd be very disappointed.

• Advertisement

No it isn't, on its own. But they might as well let him come in and express his ideas if he's living in the community.

WHY? My friend lives in Galway and coaches in rugby should they call him in. I am not saying he should not be considered but he missed out on a job big whoop. Many people do. Did he at least apply or did he think he was such an important person they would just come for him

• Registered Users Posts: 25 yobbo

A die hard fan I see!

Eddie Has not been good enough for any job in world rugby since he left Ireland.

Would was he snubbed for Munster and it was ok??? What if the Leinster job came up, would you want him as the coach there? Why was he not even interviewed for the Ulster job and it was ok?

The Jaw wrote: »
    We beat a South African team bringing over a lot of new caps to blood them in Ireland ( Incidentially guys who have a lot of caps now) and Australia in a horrible wet day in Lansdowne. And we did not stuff them. We beat they nicely but did not stuff them. Toe to Toe with New Zealand. We did not slice weaker teams open at will. We hammered Italy in the last day of a 6 Nations. I remember that because it was so bloody amazing to see an Irish team play that way. England with Andy Robinson and John Wells were rubbish.

18 times under EOS we put 40 on the board. I think that's a pretty good indication of slicing teams open.

We beat Australia 21-6 and they were never in it. We bossed the game throughout. It's a matter of semantics but we beat them well.

S.A. had a few new caps but, for the most part, the guys in that side had a fair few caps under their belts and were established internationals. Roussow, Smit, Smith, JDV, Januarie, Pretorius, Habana, Van der Linde all played and were all in the team for a while at that point.

Regardless of interpretation of results, it's very hard to give a straight rugby based answer as to why he's not being interviewed when the likes of Tony Hanks and Sean Holley are in the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

I don't remember anyone crying out for Eddie to get a job interview at Ulster or Munster last year, so why should Connacht?

It's very hard to give a straight rugby based answer as to why he's not being interviewed when the likes of Tony Hanks and Sean Holley are in the mix.[/QUOTE]

That comment I do agree with and I think the key phrase you use is "rugby based". As I said I dont think he was "all that" as Irish coach, but he was an Inrernational coach for over a decade (incl USA and assistant coach roles)
    Maybe the IRFU are pi**ed that they had to pay him off to leave the Irish job ( 1 year into a 4 year contract) and wont let let him back onto this books.
    It does seem like a personality issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Fishooks13

its_phil wrote: »
    I don't remember anyone crying out for Eddie to get a job interview at Ulster or Munster last year, so why should Connacht?

I would have loved to have seen him at Munster tbh.

Idiotic and disrespectful that Connacht didn't sit down with him. Sears and Co really don't seem like the nicest bunch.

Because Ulster and Munster weren't being linked with Sean Holley or Tony Hanks.

There was a lot of discussion around EOS for the Munster job. It's not a Connacht thing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

For all those giving out, maybe you have a point and he should have got an interview at least, but ask yourself this - would you want him coaching your province?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Fishooks13

Zzippy wrote: »
    For all those giving out, maybe you have a point and he should have got an interview at least, but ask yourself this - would you want him coaching your province?

Yes. He's a pretty decent coach.

And you also have to accept the reality that Connacht aren't going to have near the same pulling power as Munster or Leinster.

EOS is probably the most experienced option available to them, and to not even sit down with him is baffling

Advertisement