Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht snub O'Sullivan

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

danthefan wrote: »
    Noel Mannion is making sense here, he's suggesting EOS was asked to put in a CV and that he simply does not accept the 6-10 coaches who are getting interviewed are all better coaches than EOS.

Noel Mannion where? I'm not following you here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Noel Mannion where? I'm not following you here.

Indeed, should have said where, on Newstalk.

Risteard wrote: »
    When Sean Holley is being considered a frontrunner and Eddie isn't even interviewed there's obviously something more to it.

Yeah but Sean Holley is foreign. Why should Connacht sign an Irish coach when there's a foreigner available?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,109 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

To be honest I don't like the fact that EOS is moaning to the press, it comes across as sour grapes, but it is amazing that one of our best coaching talents is being pissed away by the IRFU/the provinces.

Eddie taking a leaf out of Connacht's book when it comes to moaning to the media. He'd actually fit in well with the "poor me" mentality that Sears is doing his best to create.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I've never been a particular fan of EOS but I've been in the same position - employment wise - and it's the not being interviewed for something that you're well qualified for that hurts. Nobody minds failing at the interview stage but somebody with his experience not being called for interview - it must really stick in his craw. I hope Connacht can find somebody as good as a replacement for Elwood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Eddie taking a leaf out of Connacht's book when it comes to moaning to the media. He'd actually fit in well with the "poor me" mentality that Sears is doing his best to create.

We'll take Sexton, SOB, Healy, and Kearney. Prob your 4 top players.

In return we'll give you Mark McCrea, TJ Anderson, Rodney Ah You and Matt Jarvis.

How would you feel?

I'd say this decision not to pursue EOS is an IRFU decision not a Connacht.

He burnt his bridges, things ended on a sour note and I'm sure Eddie went down firing from both barrels. Unfortunately, the blazers wouldn't forget that quickly.

I would have loved EOS as our coach, thing he could have brought an awful lot to the table

I'd say this decision not to pursue EOS is an IRFU decision not a Connacht.

He burnt his bridges, things ended on a sour note and I'm sure Eddie went down firing from both barrels. Unfortunately, the blazers wouldn't forget that quickly.

I would have loved EOS as our coach, thing he could have brought an awful lot to the table

He did?

In return we'll give you Mark McCrea, TJ Anderson, Rodney Ah You and Matt Jarvis.

How would you feel?
    "Take"
    "Give"

These guys are professional athletes. They make the decision to move or not.

Is Leinster a more attractive team to play for than Connacht? Does Leinster offer more chances to earn caps (this is a problem I think though), a chance to earn medals?

Mike McCarthy chose to join Leinster. He wasn't plucked from a cradle in the middle of the night.

"Take"
    "Give"

These guys are professional athletes. They make the decision to move or not.

Is Leinster a more attractive team to play for than Connacht? Does Leinster offer more chances to earn caps (this is a problem I think though), a chance to earn medals?

Mike McCarthy chose to join Leinster. He wasn't plucked from a cradle in the middle of the night.

This has been explained to Porter probably a few dozen times since the McCarthy move broke, but he still doesn't seem to get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

He wasn't plucked from a cradle in the middle of the night.
    the absurdity of that image had me burst out laughing, getting some strange looks from the housemates:D

This has been explained to Porter probably a few dozen times since the McCarthy move broke, but he still doesn't seem to get it.

I'm just explaining the mindset

We've now seen our top players up sticks to go to Leinster. I'm aware of what's on offer up there in terms of medals etc etc. I'm sure Fionn and Jamie are wearing them around their necks around grafton street.

But what do you expect us to do? Roll over like a good pup and smile. **** that. Of course we're going to be bitter as is Sears and he has every right to be.

The mandate for Connacht is to become more self sufficient off the field and more consistent on the field. It's not going to be achieved though seeing our best players leave.

Try building a solid fanbase and attract sponsors to a team who are continuously losing their best players. Not ****ing easy. And try to improve season on season on the field and bridge the gap with the other provinces with this going on as well. It's ballbreaking

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Try building a solid fanbase and attract sponsors to a team who are continuously losing their best players.

This would be done more easily with a head coach who is very experienced and has a record of doing well. None of the coaches linked in the media to the Connacht job have this. Elwood doesn't have it, Bradley didn't have it, so to me it is bizarre to say the least that EOS isn't even being interviewed. Success is what is important.

One of the criticisms that pop up on Connacht match threads is that the players are either not playing to a game plan or that they are not playing to a game plan very well. This would not happen with EOS in charge.

I'm fairly sure you have mentioned it yourself but Connacht tend to have to look at the AIL and/or Academy to get players in and then they have to develop them. To a degree this is the same with their coaches, Gatland was relatively new to the coaching job, Bradley was new to the coaching job, Elwood was new to the coaching job, and yet if we are to believe what we're reading in the papers (which is a big if) it appears that this cycle is being perpetuated again with some of the possible candidates.

It's madness I think that EOS can't even get an interview. It does appear that Connacht are cutting off their nose to spite their face.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

I suspect that Connacht (and possibly others) are making the mistake of thinking that they can get a perfect coach. They know that Eddie isn't that because his flaws have been well documented (basically a control freak) so they're looking elsewhere for somebody who might be perfect. I think that it's a poor decision. He has a limited shelf life for sure but he did well in the Irish job for longer than many.

In a million years I can't see it happening but I'd love to see him as the Irish backs coach. He's an outstanding backs coach and I think that he'd make a huge difference to the Irish team right now. Pigs are likely to fly sooner though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Shelflife wrote: »
    What exactly did he win? the triple crown gets thrown up, but that was until recently a mythical trophy and in O sullivans time merely represented a runner up prize.

I seem to remember the players and fans celebrating big time when we won our first 2 or 3 in a long time. It might not be a big deal now that we finally have a second championship title, but I strongly disagree that they didn't mean anything back then.

Is it something to aim for now? No, but after a very dry spell for the Irish team, it was a big step forward.
    shuffol wrote: »
    Imagine how different perceptions of EOS would be had POC caught the restart against France in 07.

Absolutely - such small margins; just like if Jones had kicked the penalty in '09 (although we'd still have won the title).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,109 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

How would you feel?

It doesn't matter how I'd feel about it, the CEO running to the media to whine about a players choice is even more childish, embarrassing and self destructive than coach moaning that he didn't get an interview for a vacancy. If that is how they both act as supposed professionals than they'd suit each other down to the ground.

(I'm not even getting into the "taking" and "giving" of players).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

And previously with Carr, Cronin and hagan also!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

WHY? My friend lives in Galway and coaches in rugby should they call him in. I am not saying he should not be considered but he missed out on a job big whoop. Many people do. Did he at least apply or did he think he was such an important person they would just come for him

Does your friend have a CV as good as EOS if so why haven't I heard of him? that is a stupid comparrison to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

How would you feel?

Only problem with that is why on earth would Sexton, SOB, Healy and Kearney want to go to Connacht?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

durkadurka wrote: »
    Trevor Brennan tweets

@trevorbrennan1: Well done Connacht no Eddie in the west wouldn't let him coach the Connacht under 12 s keep Elwood legend

If any one wants to tweet Trevor Brennan this one.

"Trevor what do you and The Aussie on Boards.ie have in common???

You both got Flogged up by Toutai Kefu" :D

And yes he does hit as hard as you think. :eek:

• Advertisement

Haha what's your story?

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Haha what's your story?

Was playing against Souths in Brisbane on one of the rare days they had their rep players available, Souths had almost half the Australian Squad and a few more Queensland players in their line up, anyway long story short I got sick of standing under the posts while they had another conversion. :pac:

The Aussie wrote: »
    Was playing against Souths in Brisbane on one of the rare days they had their rep players available, Souths had almost half the Australian Squad and a few more Queensland players in their line up, anyway long story short I got sick of standing under the posts while they had another conversion. :pac:

So you picked a fight with one of their biggest and most powerful players instead? :eek:

No, I actually picked on one of their smallest when one of their biggest (Garrick Morgan was far bigger than Kefu) took offence to it, amateur mistake you see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I said this about EO'S and Connacht a few months back. It looks like there's something to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

EOS coming back to Connacht would be a step backwards for us. Those on the committee and supporters in general in Connacht do not want to see him back and i think this became obvious to Tom Sears before the decision was made and did colour it.

Personally i think we need new blood in coaching and am delighted EOS didn't get an interview :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Hennybug wrote: »
    EOS coming back to Connacht would be a step backwards for us.

Please explain to me how, in any way, a proven international coach who contributed to sustained good performances for Ireland, 3 times came second in the 6N on points difference and coached a team that beat every international opposition except NZ would be a step backwards for Connacht?

Wouldn't really care what Brennan says. Apart from his penchant for decking fans he came out with some really bitter stuff after the Toulouse/Leinster game in 2006.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

I wouldn't mind seeing EOS coach Leinster so long as he signed a condition stating that he must rotate in his contract :D I certainly don't see why Connacht would turn their noses up at him considering the candidates they have been interveiwing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Please explain to me how, in any way, a proven international coach who contributed to sustained good performances for Ireland, 3 times came second in the 6N on points difference and coached a team that beat every international opposition except NZ would be a step backwards for Connacht?

a) He wasn't a good fit for Connacht even before he left us in the lurch.

b) He's too conservative so the young players getting a shot now could kiss their rugby careers goodbye

and
    c) If he's such an amazing coach why hasn't he been snapped up before now

It p****es me off that Connacht should be grateful for everything, maybe we'd like to select our own coach, like other provinces have done and we're now doing, not just be grateful :mad:

Advertisement