Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht snub O'Sullivan

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

Hennybug wrote: »

It p****es me off that Connacht should be grateful for everything, maybe we'd like to select our own coach, like other provinces have done and we're now doing, not just be grateful :mad:

No one is saying you shouldn't be allowed to pick your own coach. No one mentioned that Connacht should be grateful. You're seeing things that simply aren't there. People are only criticizing the decision not to interview EOS, just like people criticized the decision to interview Umaga for Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Paddy De Plasterer

Connaught must have a wealth of talent lined up if they cant even give him an interview

• Registered Users Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Heroditas

stephen_n wrote: »
    Only problem with that is why on earth would Sexton, SOB, Healy and Kearney want to go to Connacht?

McDonagh's on Quay Street is a pretty awesome chipper! There's one reason anyway! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

Higher wrote: »
    No one is saying you shouldn't be allowed to pick your own coach. No one mentioned that Connacht should be grateful. You're seeing things that simply aren't there. People are only criticizing the decision not to interview EOS, just like people criticized the decision to interview Umaga for Munster.

Ok i'll stop being so prickly :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Hennybug wrote: »

It p****es me off that Connacht should be grateful for everything, maybe we'd like to select our own coach, like other provinces have done and we're now doing, not just be grateful :mad:

That's the mentality of a teenager trying to rebel against their parents by doing some self destructive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I have it on good authority EOS didn't get an interview because there were no less than 3 spelling or grammatical errors on his CV. You just can't be having that....

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

my own opinion is that the board feel that EOS just isnt the right fit or type of manager that they want at the moment.

I feel that they want a manager who will nurture and cultivate the academy players that are coming through, something that EOS has shown that he wasnt interested in in the Irish job.

I also feel that Connacht need stability and a long term manager, I dont think that they would get that with EOS given his past with the province.

Its Connachts call to make and they will decide on what they feel is the right fit for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The press and other talking heads have had an agenda with regards to Connacht hiring Eddie "the best man for the job" O'Sullivan since it was announced that the coaching job was going to be available.

He's not the man for the job. From skimming through the thread it's plain to see that most if not all of the Connacht fans don't want him in the job. I think that speaks volumes. How would Ulster, Munster or Leinster fans feel with him and charge, and really think about that before answering.

Tom Sears and the PGB has a vision for Connacht Rugby. Eddie is not part of that vision.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

evil_seed wrote: »
    How would Ulster, Munster or Leinster fans feel with him and charge, and really think about that before answering.

Honestly, I think there might be some better options but I wouldn't particularly mind. I think people forget just how good some of the rugby Ireland played under him was.

Also, none of the candidates I think would be better are applying to the Connacht job.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Tom Sears and the PGB has a vision for Connacht Rugby. Eddie is not part of that vision.

What's that vision and why can't Eddie be a part of it?

I'm genuinely baffled about why Eddie wouldn't even be interviewed.

Edit: I'm a Leinster fan and would be happy if he took over after Schmidt.

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Honestly, I think there might be some better options but I wouldn't particularly mind. I think people forget just how good some of the rugby Ireland played under him was.

Also, none of the candidates I think would be better are applying to the Connacht job.

I wouldn't mind either. In fact a lot of people have said that they wouldn't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Bradley was picked ahead of him for the Edinburgh job says a lot. I've no doubt he's miles better than Bradley but this would indicate one of two things imo:

1) EOS is looking for a salary greater than the likes of Edinburgh or Connacht can afford?

or

2) Rugby in the Northern Hemisphere is a small enough circle of people and the word has gone around about Eddie that his man management skills were poor or whatever

By the way I think he was more deserving of interview than some of the lads who were interviewed. I was unconvinced either way whether he'd be a good or bad fit for Connacht.

Lots of very average English teams have overlooked Eddie so there's an issue somewhere.

Bradley was picked ahead of him for the Edinburgh job says a lot. I've no doubt he's miles better than Bradley but this would indicate one of two things imo:

1) EOS is looking for a salary greater than the likes of Edinburgh or Connacht can afford?

or

2) Rugby in the Northern Hemisphere is a small enough circle of people and the word has gone around about Eddie that his man management skills were poor or whatever

By the way I think he was more deserving of interview than some of the lads who were interviewed. I was unconvinced either way whether he'd be a good or bad fit for Connacht.

Lots of very average English teams have overlooked Eddie so there's an issue somewhere.

Eddie O Sullivan wouldn't leave the US Eagles until after the RWC, he was staying to honour his contract and Edinburgh wanted someone to start straight away. That's why Bradley was picked ahead of Eddie.

Fair enough how come very poor sides like Newcastle and Sale passed him over?

I've no idea if he even applied to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Newcastle and Sale both appointed very good coaches. If Connacht appoint someone like that I don't think there'll be an issue.

But no-one is saying Connacht should appoint EOS anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I'd have been happy for him to have got the job ahead of McLaughlin, knowing Brian's track record etc and also ahead of Anscombe although I'm very happy with what Mark has done. O'Sullivan is a good and innovative coach. A fair and honest selection process should offer those who exceed the published criteria at least an interview. The idea is to get the best coach not the one some of the prospective employers dislike the least.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Well, that escalated quickly...

Lads, not a single one of us here has any insight into why EOS didn't get an interview. Maybe he should, maybe he shouldn't. The selection committee may have had further criteria other than the list published in the ad when going through CVs, such as coaching at club level (i.e. day to day basis) in the last 5/10 years, working with academy coaches, scouting networks, plus who knows what else might be relevant, some of which EOS may not have scored as highly on.
    Track record at international level is impressive, but it may not be all that relevant to a club coach situation, so that may have scored lower. Anyone who has gone through CVs and sat on interview panels will recognise that there has to be a system, and it has to be applied fairly if you want the best candidate.

The PGB are doing a very good job so far on managing Connacht Rugby on and off the field, so I'm prepared to trust their judgement on this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

That is a fair point - hopefully there are sound reasons (that EO'S doesn't seem to be aware of) that precluded him. It just seems really odd to not even ask him to meet.

A pundit on the radio made a point that even an interview with him could give them some good ideas to think about, even if they didn't hire him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Connaught must have a wealth of talent lined up if they cant even give him an interview

See I think EOS deserved an interview at least but it's a bit rich everyone else kicking up a stink about him when if he was in the running for the Munster or Leinster jobs I guarantee very few Munster or Leinster fans would want him anywhere near those jobs.

IMO his record deserves an interview at least but this looks like to me that he has rubbed someone up the wrong way either in the Connacht branch or in the IRFU itself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

See I think EOS deserved an interview at least but it's a bit rich everyone else kicking up a stink about him when if he was in the running for the Munster or Leinster jobs I guarantee very few Munster or Leinster fans would want him anywhere near those jobs.

Why does this keep getting brought up? The majority of fans have stated that they'd be happy to see EOS in contention for the Munster or Leinster jobs. I'd be p*ssed if he applied for Leinster and wasn't considered. He's a great coach. Lets bring him in and see what he says. If his plans don't suit, he can head off. If he impresses, lets hire him.

IMO his record deserves an interview at least but this looks like to me that he has rubbed someone up the wrong way either in the Connacht branch or in the IRFU itself.

As has been stated time and time again, most Leinster and Munster fans have said they wouldn't mind a EOS coaching ticket.

Take away his inability to rotate and he was a FANTASTIC coach. I am sure he's learned from his mistakes at this stage and I'd be happy for him to take over from Schmidt if it happened.

Regardless of what fans on here think, I think the majority of fans from other provinces not on boards would not want EOS in charge. I'll be asking the Munster fans at the Sportsground today for ****s and giggles.

Another thing I think tht I forgot to mention is I don't think that you'd see all the press and talking heads pushing for him to be coach of any of the other three provinces if the head coaching position became available. They all seem to think we'd (Connacht) be lucky to have him. Any Connacht fan I know doesn;t want him.

They all seem to think we'd (Connacht) be lucky to have him.

Get off the cross!

EOS's coaching record far exceeds any of the other candidates linked to the job and that is why people are annoyed he didn't even get an interview.
    ----
    Vincent Hogan wrote in the Independent today:

"Now, at the very least, Connacht can be accused of wretched manners here. O'Sullivan, after all, discovered through a journalist that he was not being granted an interview a full week before receiving formal correspondence from the Branch."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/vincent-hogan-when-reason-goes-west-3334034.html

I really hope this isn't true as it displays Connacht to be extremely poorly run if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

CatFromHue wrote: »

I really hope this isn't true as it displays Connacht to be extremely poorly run if so.

According to the Sunday Times, Sears was in outrage that the shortlist was leaked. Connacht never revealed the line up, Sears has refused to comment on any name or candidate put forward.

You can't judge a whole operation based on a bloody leak. And it is very well run because I know a lot of Connacht fans are delighted with Sears and all the work being done behind the scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

what i find frustrating about this whole process is that Connacht should be trying to appoint the best man for the job.

EOS is in my view a far stronger coach with a far better knowledge of irish rugby circles than Hanks, Holly, Lamb or King.

Connacht are in a strategically strong place now, growing crowds, growing respect through HC performances, great young squad - the next coach they appoint will be critical in making the most of a really exciting crop of young local players especially in the backline an area EOS excels at.

Irrespective of who he's p1ssed off along the way i just feel EOS could add a lot to rugby in this country, i'd even love to see him coaching the u20's.

with the provincial academys functioning to such an extent that quality players are leaving the academys or not even getting onto them, to have a good coach at connacht capable of identifying the likes of Foster Horan or Michael Keating and realising that they can with good coaching be developed into good quality provincial players is paramount.

The likes of McSharry, Cronin, Carr, Hagan & keatly clearly benefitted by moving to connacht and taking their chances there. i'd hate to see connacht appoint a dud who will blow budget on poor allied dunbar players.

its_phil wrote: »
    According to the Sunday Times, Sears was in outrage that the shortlist was leaked. Connacht never revealed the line up, Sears has refused to comment on any name or candidate put forward.

You can't judge a whole operation based on a bloody leak. And it is very well run because I know a lot of Connacht fans are delighted with Sears and all the work being done behind the scenes.

Yeah you're right I was "Thinking of the Children" and over reacting.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Get off the cross!

EOS's coaching record far exceeds any of the other candidates linked to the job and that is why people are annoyed he didn't even get an interview.
    ----
    Vincent Hogan wrote in the Independent today:

"Now, at the very least, Connacht can be accused of wretched manners here. O'Sullivan, after all, discovered through a journalist that he was not being granted an interview a full week before receiving formal correspondence from the Branch."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/vincent-hogan-when-reason-goes-west-3334034.html

Well Hogan is one of Eddie's buddies in the press so I'm far from surprised. You can talk about his credentials in the international game all you want, it's not the same as club level.

Well Hogan is one of Eddie's buddies in the press so I'm far from surprised. You can talk about his credentials in the international game all you want, it's not the same as club level.

Hogan mentions his friendship in the article with Eddie but it would be a big lie to say that Eddie found out from a reporter about him not getting an interview and that's the point I was highlighting.

You're right about the international game not being the same as club level......it's harder for both player and coach.

• Advertisement

bamboozle wrote: »
    what i find frustrating about this whole process is that Connacht should be trying to appoint the best man for the job.

EOS is in my view a far stronger coach with a far better knowledge of irish rugby circles than Hanks, Holly, Lamb or King.

Maybe that's true but sometimes a team especially like Connacht needs a coach who has no knowledge of how Irish Rugby works.

For example with Bradley the attitude seemed to be "we're ****e isn't that the way Connacht are supposed to be when results went badly. When is the Munster job coming up again?". Eddie's attitude with Connacht was pretty much the same in terms of the Irish team even if we probably had nobody at that stage putting their hand up for selection.

Eric has tried to improve our standing and has made progress in some areas not so much in others but sometime a fresh face who has major knowledge of the Irish Rugby system and doesn't see Connacht as having the position of outcast of Irish Rugby can be helpful.

At this stage I would like to see an outsider appointed and given a year or two to prove himself. I'm not overwhelmed by the candidates but for example I'm not sure how you can write off King's coaching ability so quickly. I don't argue he should be ahead of Hanks for example.

I think we all know any ambitious coach who takes us over is probably looking to make a name for himself to make a move but its better he's looking to prove himself for a move to abroad rather than to try and impress the other provinces.

Connacht's two most successful coaches since the game started to take off professionally were outsiders in Warren Gatland and Steph Nel (albeit a few years ago). All the other provinces have gone that way, there has to be some reason behind that.

Advertisement