Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht snub O'Sullivan

Options
123457»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Anyone read Thornleys piece on EOS this morning?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2013/0115/1224328850589.html

While what he says may or may not be true he doesn't compare EOS to the other short listed candidates which is the main point of my argument on here anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Stanza2 wrote: »
    Gotta disagree with that...... Geordie Murphy poor defence ! Dream on Podge.

More like nightmares.

I'm not going to bother with youtube clips, as they can be selectively chosen to prove anything. Murphy was a poor tackler at international level - the Ibanez wave through being a particular low point. He had a habit of forcing passes and throwing intercepts and was not secure enough going into contact and got turned over too much. I'm amazed he wasn't dropped for some time after the France 2006 debacle where he was directly responsible for gifting France 3 tries in the first half. Dempsey was simply a better full back. Murphy being bitter about not playing more is just delusional on his part.
    Anyone read Thornleys piece on EOS this morning?

I will be forever amused by the contrast in how Thornley treats EOS and Kidney.

Anyway, what's done is done at this point. If Lam does a good job than all of this will be forgotten quickly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

What's to remember to forget?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Hopefully Connacht get what they deserve for overlooking the outstanding candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

Aidric wrote: »
    Hopefully Connacht get what they deserve for overlooking the outstanding candidate.

Like Munster and Ulster before them I suppose?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭The Jaw

There is one thing that is possibly being overlooked here and which Gerry Thornley mentioned in the article yesterday.
    Eric Elwood and Connacht have developed a style of play for the entire organisation. A lot of the young lads coming up play fast, off loading play. EOS is a conservative coach and his style would simply not be conducive to the skill set coming through in Connacht. ( Look at what Penney is trying to do in Munster with players who may not be suited to that game plan)
    There is nothing to do with personality clashes, RWC, etc.
    From what is to be believed King & Holley were offered the job originally. Cleremont and the Ospreys play a fast, off loading game. I have not seen enough of Lam's Blues but being from NZ I presume they play the same way.
    Sears knew what he wanted and EOS did not fit that bill.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Gambas wrote:
    And Edinburgh and just about every other pro team since his sinecure in the States ended...

Rest assured, his vast and current experience of coaching professionals on a daily basis over a 30+ game season will see him employed elsewhere in no time. Oh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Aidric wrote: »

well aren't you just a ray of sunshine

on a general note this thread is starting to get annoying. Munster and Ulster both overlooked EOS and not even near the amount of press generated

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

freyners wrote: »
    well aren't you just a ray of sunshine

on a general note this thread is starting to get annoying. Munster and Ulster both overlooked EOS and not even near the amount of press generated

If Rob Penney (or even Mark Anscombe) had taken the Connacht job there would be very little press about EOS.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The Jaw wrote: »
    There is one thing that is possibly being overlooked here and which Gerry Thornley mentioned in the article yesterday.
    Eric Elwood and Connacht have developed a style of play for the entire organisation. A lot of the young lads coming up play fast, off loading play. EOS is a conservative coach and his style would simply not be conducive to the skill set coming through in Connacht. ( Look at what Penney is trying to do in Munster with players who may not be suited to that game plan)
    There is nothing to do with personality clashes, RWC, etc.
    From what is to be believed King & Holley were offered the job originally. Cleremont and the Ospreys play a fast, off loading game. I have not seen enough of Lam's Blues but being from NZ I presume they play the same way.
    Sears knew what he wanted and EOS did not fit that bill.

That may or may not be (about how EOS would approach the playing style) but Connacht are currently tenth and finished eight last season. In some of the games I saw them play there some silly errors in their game which I think a more experienced coach like EOS would iron out and thus make them a better team.

I've just added up the tries Ireland scored between the 04 and 08 6N incl and Ireland scored 67 and would have come in second to France who scored 71 during this time frame. We did score tries and we did play good rugby under EOS which is forgotten.
    Robbo wrote: »
    And Edinburgh and just about every other pro team since his sinecure in the States ended...

Rest assured, his vast and current experience of coaching professionals on a daily basis over a 30+ game season will see him employed elsewhere in no time. Oh.

EOS was first choice for the Edinburgh job but they wanted someone to start in the off season but EOS was already committed to taking the US to the RWC and so the job was given to Bradley instead.
    freyners wrote: »
    Gambas wrote: »

I don't know what happened with Ulster but EOS was in talks with Munster for the vacant position and similarly to what happened with Connacht he wasn't short listed. I wasn't happy with this then either but there was one stand out candidate on the short list in Penney whereas in my opinion there was no stand out candidate on the Connacht short list. I think EOS is a better coach than Lam but what's done in done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

Tox56 wrote: »
    If Rob Penney (or even Mark Anscombe) had taken the Connacht job there would be very little press about EOS.

Before a CV was submitted for the Connacht job there was already a wall of press regarding EOS and the position.

And Lam was seen as a viable alternative to Anscombe in Ulster, but wanted to bring in his own coaches. Patently false to to suggest the EOS for Connacht circus wouldn't have happened in that case. Same if Penney was in the running. Neither had the profile here. And Eddie lives in Moylough you know.
    I don't know what happened with Ulster but EOS was in talks with Munster for the vacant position and similarly to what happened with Connacht he wasn't short listed. I wasn't happy with this then either but there was one stand out candidate on the short list in Penney whereas in my opinion there was no stand out candidate on the Connacht short list. I think EOS is a better coach than Lam but what's done in done.

The issue is the way Connacht were simply expected to do right by Eddie and give him the gig, while there was no such expectation with Munster. The Munster shortlist wasn't so short that he couldn't have been accommodated, unless again there were some red-line issues relating to his appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It's a non-issue really for me now. I think Lam is a better appointment than EOS would've been. I'd have been a lot less enthusiastic about Hanks or Holley.

Gambas wrote: »

The issue is the way Connacht were simply expected to do right by Eddie and give him the gig, while there was no such expectation with Munster. The Munster shortlist wasn't so short that he couldn't have been accommodated, unless again there were some red-line issues relating to his appointment.

My issue is that they didn't give him a proper interview when he would have been one of the better candidates on the leaked short list.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭flutered

CatFromHue wrote: »
    My issue is that they didn't give him a proper interview when he would have been one of the better candidates on the leaked short list.

op you recon he would be one of the better candidates, ok, then how come both the munster and connaught branches are not as knowlageable as you, being that they are professional rugby organizations, also how come he has not got an interview never mind a job since he departed the u.s.post.

flutered wrote: »
    op you recon he would be one of the better candidates, ok, then how come both the munster and connaught branches are not as knowlageable as you, being that they are professional rugby organizations, also how come he has not got an interview never mind a job since he departed the u.s.post.

Honestly I don't know why he hasn't gotten a job.

I do sometimes feel that we immediately believe we are inferior to NZ players and coaches and this has become a factor. If you compare EOS and Lam's coaching record EOS wins but for whatever reason we ignore our own. Now I hope Lam goes on and does excellent things with the team but I equally believe EOS could also have gone on to do excellent things with the team.

Advertisement