Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit card limit

Options
  • 20-12-2012 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭

Just wondering generally speaking but is your credit card limit strictly enforced or is there a bit of leeway.

Say you have €1000 euro available & you try to purchase €1500 worth of goods / services, would the transaction go through and you deal with the CC supplier afterwards or would the card / transaction be declined immeadiatley

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

I'd imagine €500 is a little more than a bit of leeway. I'd say leeway would be under €50 so no I would say declined immediately. Can you just transfer the extra €500 into credit card account?
    Just wondering generally speaking but is your credit card limit strictly enforced or is there a bit of leeway.

Say you have €1000 euro available & you try to purchase €1500 worth of goods / services, would the transaction go through and you deal with the CC supplier afterwards or would the card / transaction be declined immeadiatley

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Huggles wrote: »
    I'd imagine €500 is a little more than a bit of leeway. I'd say leeway would be under €50 so no I would say declined immediately. Can you just transfer the extra €500 into credit card account?

Not xmas LOL, any idea how easy it is to get your credit limit raised in these recessionary times, card isn't maxed out, have about half my limit available, just need a little extra room for a month or so

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭markbld65

Not xmas LOL, any idea how easy it is to get your credit limit raised in these recessionary times, card isn't maxed out, have about half my limit available, just need a little extra room for a month or so

get rid of it pay the balance and give it back

myself and OH paid up and handed them back 3 years ago, best thing we ever done

seriously thing about it,

their interest % is on the up to

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

markbld65 wrote: »
    their interest % is on the up to

If you pay it off when its due its not a problem. Thats what I used to do.

I did give up my card and got a visa debt in May. Havent looked back since.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭markbld65

godtabh wrote: »
    If you pay it off when its due its not a problem. Thats what I used to do.

I did give up my card and got a visa debt in May. Havent looked back since.

ya same as, that's what we done to and find it way better

on the credit card it was kinda hard to sometimes pay it all off every month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

€500 over your agreed limit would almost certainly be declined. You can ring them & ask for a temporary increase of your limit for say two months, but there is no guarantee that they will agree to this. Contacting them is the only way you'll find out. By arranging a temporary increase you would also avoid any overlimit fees/charges that you might incur by going slightly over your present agreed limit.

Best practice would probably plan to spend less & stay within your present limit, especially if you intend splashing out on christmas presents or goodies - it's just not worth it.

Advertisement