Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Least unethical choice for banking Ireland?

Options
  • 20-12-2012 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Wanted to get a mortgage but I don't want to give my business to the banks who have had bad track records ( bailouts etc )
    How do I find out which bank is the least corrupt and immoral? Plus they need to be able to give me a mortgage also.
    Maybe they are all the same but if anyone had any ideas I'd be interested to hear them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

All banks lending to first time buyers here have been bailed out by our or the UK government.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Start saving and buy with cash so OP.

Here's a wild thought, just maybe the people taking out outrageous mortgages were just as responsible as the banks!

Are there any member owned building societies left?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭OMD

srsly78 wrote: »
    Start saving and buy with cash so OP.

Here's a wild thought, just maybe the people taking out outrageous mortgages were just as responsible as the banks!

For most people the cost of rent makes saving enough for a house next to impossible. I repeat "for most" as I know people will now come on saying they did it.

If you are renting a property worth €200,000 you can expect to pay rent of 5% so €10,000 a year. To save for the house on top of this over 20 years will cost another €10,000 a year (less a little for interest). That means accommodation costs will be €20k a year from after tax income. It also means you won't own your house for 20 years

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Are there any member owned building societies left?

None currently doing new mortgage business that I'm aware of.

There are at least mutual building societies two trading in Ireland - the Leeds and the UK Nationwide and I think the Leeds issued mortgages but doesn't currently.

I have wondered whether a larger credit union should look at becoming a building society (if such a thing is even possible) as there are definitely enough people who would prefer to not use a bank, or at least a privately held bank, at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

MYOB wrote: »
    I have wondered whether a larger credit union should look at becoming a building society (if such a thing is even possible) as there are definitely enough people who would prefer to not use a bank, or at least a privately held bank, at this stage.
    After seeing the banks loose lots of money on said mortgages, I can't see any CU's wanting to hang such debt around their necks!

Advertisement