Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Android smartphone monitoring app..........

• 20-12-2012 11:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭

.....so, my eldest is getting her first phone this Christmas. I have fought this for as long as possible, but in the end, I've lost the battle......

Anyhoo, it'll be coming with plenty of strings attached re: usage, paying for it, etc. So, certainly for a while, I want to install one of those monitoring apps.

Has anyone got one, or can recommend one ? Google throws up plenty, but, tbh, they could be good/bad/indifferent afaik, so looking to hear from anyone who's been down this road already.

TIA as they say........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,306 ✭✭✭ongarite

What smartphone is it? iPhone, Android, etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

sorry, Samsung Android - Galaxy mini or similar.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Moved and titled edited

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

What exactly do you want to monitor?

....well, tbh, she needs to be contactable etc, as we are in a rural location, hence the phone in the first place.

....generally I'm coming from a personal safety perspective: I don't want my child to be exposed or subject to any of the bullying and general nastiness that seems too-prevalent these days. So if there is any hint of bullying or similar, I'll want to know, and will act accordingly. Logically this includes SMS/MMS etc.

As-is, my kids cannot access FB at home, and online access is to relatively innocuous stuff - and only in the family room. There's no access to the 'net outside of my eye and ear-shot.

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement

A smart phone with no data plan gets boring pretty quickly.

Not sure I agree with monitoring her SMS/MMS. Your asking for trust issues in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

galwaytt wrote: »
    ....well, tbh, she needs to be contactable etc, as we are in a rural location, hence the phone in the first place.

....generally I'm coming from a personal safety perspective: I don't want my child to be exposed or subject to any of the bullying and general nastiness that seems too-prevalent these days. So if there is any hint of bullying or similar, I'll want to know, and will act accordingly. Logically this includes SMS/MMS etc.

As-is, my kids cannot access FB at home, and online access is to relatively innocuous stuff - and only in the family room. There's no access to the 'net outside of my eye and ear-shot.

Not being funny but maybe a smart phone isn't for her then, unless you are willing to lock it down and she won't circumvent any of your actions.
    Sounds more like you want a regular phone for her where she can't have web access but you can contact her at all times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Your effectively trying to spy on your child, if you want to do that then you don't trust them and it sounds like a smartphone wouldn't be a good idea. Either way there probably is apps that can do this but Android will allow your child to easily circumvent them if they wish to effectively meaning you have to trust your child not to circumvent them so you might as well trust your child with access to everything and be confident that they will come to you with any issues regarding bullying etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

No doubt the child wants a smartphone (for games, facebook, etc.).
    I expect it's not good for self-esteem if friends are showing off flashy smart phones, while you're taking out a nokia with, heaven forbid, buttons! :)

Tough spot.

Will they know you're monitoring them? What if they find out somewhere down the line that you're snooping on everything they're doing?

draffodx wrote: »
    Your effectively trying to spy on your child, if you want to do that then you don't trust them and it sounds like a smartphone wouldn't be a good idea.

I understand that view point. And, if we were dealing with adults, peers, you'd be 100% right.

But, I'm also a parent, and my first responsibility is to her safety. It would be remiss of me, and a bigger ....'sin'....to do nothing, and to care less.

I mean, as-is, I would be fairly up to speed on her 'life', as a whole. That's what being an effective parent is about. Adding a phone into the mix - smart or otherwise - is extending the boundaries, letting them out a little. It's my job to be a good parent first, and best friend, second.

But there'll still be boundaries, for now.

As my own mother used to tell us: "....this (her house) isn't a democracy......"

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    No doubt the child wants a smartphone (for games, facebook, etc.).
    I expect it's not good for self-esteem if friends are showing off flashy smart phones, while you're taking out a nokia with, heaven forbid, buttons! :)

Tough spot.

Will they know you're monitoring them? What if they find out somewhere down the line that you're snooping on everything they're doing?

LOL to the first para........yes ! :p

For the latter paragraph, at the moment she has access to a Netbook and iPod Touch, and the rules are simple: I have the password to log in, and I don't 'deny' access to stuff if she's open about it and I think it's reasonable. She also uses skype and email, so she's no luddite, but the rules are simple, for now: don't do or say stuff you wouldn't be happy for me to see/hear, and she knows I can access it if the need arises. I can honestly say that that has only happened once in the last.......year ?

Fall foul and we have a 'sin bin' of sorts for the technology, and in the main, minus the odd strop, it's worked very well. Her younger brother now sees the 'system' we have, and it teaches him too. If they demonstrate responsibility, I'm quite happy to extend it to them.

Naturally there will come a time when I'll just forego all controls, but we're going to walk before we can run, here.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

galwaytt wrote: »
    LOL to the first para........yes ! :p

For the latter paragraph, at the moment she has access to a Netbook and iPod Touch, and the rules are simple: I have the password to log in, and I don't 'deny' access to stuff if she's open about it and I think it's reasonable. She also uses skype and email, so she's no luddite, but the rules are simple, for now: don't do or say stuff you wouldn't be happy for me to see/hear, and she knows I can access it if the need arises. I can honestly say that that has only happened once in the last.......year ?

Fall foul and we have a 'sin bin' of sorts for the technology, and in the main, minus the odd strop, it's worked very well. Her younger brother now sees the 'system' we have, and it teaches him too. If they demonstrate responsibility, I'm quite happy to extend it to them.

Naturally there will come a time when I'll just forego all controls, but we're going to walk before we can run, here.

Just set up the device with a gmail account you have access to and do the same as you've done with the netbook/iPod Touch maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Sounds like you're doing a great job of being open with your kids (and setting boundaries).

You seem to have access to her facebook account, so just monitor from a safe distance (on your PC), and check her text messages from time to time. I'm sure there are apps out there to backup text messages (and maybe browser history?) to the cloud (dropbox or similar service).

Mr E wrote: »
    Sounds like you're doing a great job of being open with your kids (and setting boundaries).

You seem to have access to her facebook account, so just monitor from a safe distance (on your PC), and check her text messages from time to time. I'm sure there are apps out there to backup text messages (and maybe browser history?) to the cloud (dropbox or similar service).

Tks for the compliment = it's head-wrecking sometimes !

Bit of confusion on the FB front: she doesn't have an FB account, so it's not an issue. Er, yet ! :eek:

Ode To The Motorist

Bit of confusion on the FB front: she doesn't have an FB account, so it's not an issue. Er, yet !

Its not like obtaining a facebook account is a provisional license. The facebook app comes preinstalled in most smart phones and signup takes 2 minutes.

To do that she needs an internet connection. Ok says you, I see what they do at home, but there is free internet in McDonalds, Starbucks, shops, pubs, libraries. probably even schools now.
    I mean, as-is, I would be fairly up to speed on her 'life', as a whole.

Up to speed on her life. So you know when she had her first kiss, her first sneaky drink, etc? Lay down rules like you have in the past, ask to see her phone now and again, and trust her to come to you with problems or difficulties. If she discovers you have been spying on her she will feel betrayed and won't come to you again. The flipside of this is, if she knows you have monitoring software on her phone she wont use it to do any of the things you are trying to prevent happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

i have this very issue. I have tested kytephone on a spare mobile. It sends location, photos taken, txts sent and recieved to my desktop. And allows you to set a closed contact group. Any call in or out from or to an unauthorised number is dropped.

I am just looking for a safe browser now. I found netnanny to cumbersome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭Keith186

This one seems to do SMS, never used it myself though so I don't know if it's any good.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gizmoquip.smstracker

I seen one on Android play store the other day as an 'other users liked' app down the bottom when updating some other app, think it was a complete package for remote monitoring. It was €16 odd though and had warnings about that it may be illegal depending on your local law! Tried to find it for you but to no avail...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Kytephone is free and reports everything back to my desktop. You can choose the apps that the phone will display on screen so you can limit what it does and doesn't do.

I am just looking for a tight browser with a GOOD filter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭swampy353

Mighty text is a chrome extension and app that's allows you to view txts and call logs. It's designed that if your at pc you can respond to texts without taking your phone out.

syklops wrote: »
    Its not like obtaining a facebook account is a provisional license. The facebook app comes preinstalled in most smart phones and signup takes 2 minutes.

To do that she needs an internet connection. Ok says you, I see what they do at home, but there is free internet in McDonalds, Starbucks, shops, pubs, libraries. probably even schools now.

All this I know - I'm a smartphone user and FB user myself.

syklops wrote: »
    Up to speed on her life. So you know when she had her first kiss, her first sneaky drink, etc? Lay down rules like you have in the past, ask to see her phone now and again, and trust her to come to you with problems or difficulties. If she discovers you have been spying on her she will feel betrayed and won't come to you again. The flipside of this is, if she knows you have monitoring software on her phone she wont use it to do any of the things you are trying to prevent happening.

Tbh, this is for a child not yet a teenager, you're getting ahead of yourself on a whole bunch of things there.

You have also assumed I wouldn't tell her I would have the capability to check.

Assumption, as always, is the mother of all fubars............

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement
Advertisement