Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name of Chemist on Northside

• 20-12-2012 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, it was suggested to me that boards.ie might be a good place to find out the info I need.

A few friends and I occasionally hold what could be described as a treasure hunt.

One of the clues has led me to a pharmacy on Tonlegee Road in Coolock / Raheny. And it seems it's the name of the owner that will help me move on.
    However, I don't know if the current owner is the same as the one in my clue. But there's further confusion for me. According to GoogleMaps there are two pharmacies sandwiching a Spar store. One is called Unicare and the other is called Pharmacy O'Reilly. I'm not sure which one I should be interested in. The clue I have dates back to 1989 so both pharmacies probably haven't been there all that time. All I've got is a first name, and even that's not precise. It's either Emmet or Evan.

If anyone can help me by just giving me the correct first name of the owner, and his surname I'd very much appreciate it. To help identify this chap, another part of the clue hints at a brunette girl in the Beaumont area. I assume she is/was a girlfriend, but with a hospital in that area she may have been employed there so that's probably not much help.

I'd love to pop into these places myself but there's a bit of a distance between here and there these days. ;)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭October

I think one of the chemists is called Doc Morris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

I think doc Morris is the new name for the Unicare pharmacies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Arty65

Yeah, Doc Morris is a franchise similar to Unicare.

Digging deeper into my clues, it looks like I'm looking for the full name of either the owners son, or a relative that worked there back in the late 80's and early 90's. As I said, I think it's Emmet or Evan if thats a help.

Thanks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Used to live beside that! In 1989 there wasn't a chemist there AFAIR, There was a newsagent called "the Elk" a "Spar" next door (followed by a 7Eeven then Spar again) and a Video store at the end.
    Pharmacy O Riarda followed on from the Elk in the early 90's

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Arty65

AHA! THat means that the 3-lettered 4-legged animal isn't COW :rolleyes:. Looks like I'm in the right area anyway. Thanks RobFowl.
    Any idea of the surname of the owners at the time?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Arty off the top of my head it was O Reilly or O Riardon (vague memory that the same owner owned the pharmacy afterwards but far from 100% sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jonjsmy

Wasn't the pharmacy Noel Ofarrell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If this is still active, check the Central Library or the Dublin City Archive for a copy of Thom's Directory or the Golden Pages for the year.

Advertisement