Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TRANSFER OF RIFLE LICENSE

Options
  • 20-12-2012 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi just a quick query, I have a .22 bolt action Rifle and my license Certificate is due for renewal in March.

I have been offered from a friend of mine (Pending a License) a semi-auto .22 rifle.

Is there a way of transfering it onto the existing certificate and selling on the other rifle, or do I have to apply for a new certificate for this new rifle altogether.

Would there be a problem applying for another rifle when I already have one of the same caliber etc. but which I do intend to get rid of??

Is there any issue with licensing semi-auto firearms over bolt actions??

Any help much appreciated.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

aclusk wrote: »
    Hi just a quick query, I have a .22 bolt action Rifle and my license Certificate is due for renewal in March.

I have been offered from a friend of mine (Pending a License) a semi-auto .22 rifle.

Is there a way of transfering it onto the existing certificate and selling on the other rifle, or do I have to apply for a new certificate for this new rifle altogether.

Would there be a problem applying for another rifle when I already have one of the same caliber etc. but which I do intend to get rid of??

Is there any issue with licensing semi-auto firearms over bolt actions??

Any help much appreciated.....

You should ring your local FO. Sometimes they will allow you to substitute a firearm when the calibre is the same. But more likely you will have to apply for a new license for the semi auto since it is strictly speaking not a like for like substitution.

You cannot transfer a firearm on to an existing license. That license is specifically for that firearm.

If your friend gets his license sorted before march then just sell him the gun, otherwise you would have to hand it into an RFD once your license expires.

There should be no problem getting the license for the same calibre as long as you explain your reasons for requiring the new rifle accurately and also what will happen to the firearm you already have. A bill of sale might help in this respect or hand it in to and RFD pending its sale. Get a letter to show this and attach it to your application.

As for semi over bolts, it would down to your local super. But most likely not a problem since they are both unrestricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

fill out an fca2 and do a sub you can do a like for like as it is an unrestricted licence for an unrestricted licence it dose'nt matter if it is semi or not it is the same caliber.:)
    http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/FCA2%20Firearm%20Certificate%20Amendment%20or%20Cancellation%20Form%5B1%5D.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭aclusk

Great Thanks for your help....
    juice1304 wrote: »
    fill out an fca2 and do a sub you can do a like for like as it is an unrestricted licence for an unrestricted licence it dose'nt matter if it is semi or not it is the same caliber.:)
    http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/FCA2%20Firearm%20Certificate%20Amendment%20or%20Cancellation%20Form%5B1%5D.pdf

Thanks for the info......
    bravestar wrote: »
    You should ring your local FO. Sometimes they will allow you to substitute a firearm when the calibre is the same. But more likely you will have to apply for a new license for the semi auto since it is strictly speaking not a like for like substitution.

You cannot transfer a firearm on to an existing license. That license is specifically for that firearm.

If your friend gets his license sorted before march then just sell him the gun, otherwise you would have to hand it into an RFD once your license expires.

There should be no problem getting the license for the same calibre as long as you explain your reasons for requiring the new rifle accurately and also what will happen to the firearm you already have. A bill of sale might help in this respect or hand it in to and RFD pending its sale. Get a letter to show this and attach it to your application.

As for semi over bolts, it would down to your local super. But most likely not a problem since they are both unrestricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Should be no problem with a substitution provided the magazine capacity is 10 or under. Over ten and it is restricted, usual BS.

• Advertisement

Yeah its a 10mag....Cheers!
    sfakiaman wrote: »
    Should be no problem with a substitution provided the magazine capacity is 10 or under. Over ten and it is restricted, usual BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

I think you need an fca 1 for a substitution.

Gonna do it thru local Gun Dealer, so should be fine...all going well!!
    boc121 wrote: »
    I think you need an fca 1 for a substitution.

Advertisement