Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canberra

Options
  • 20-12-2012 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

After waiting over 3 years now for the 175 visa, Ive been told to go for state sponsorship, to ACT, Canberra. This is the only state where my occupation is on the list. Ive already applied which will take 6 months to process. A case of waiting forever for the 175 or going with this only other option. Ideally I would like to go to either Perth or Melbourne where I have friends and relatives respectively but well, what can I do.

Bit anxious about the move to Canberra as never there before or heard anyone moving there. Don't see many jobs listed on the usual sites nor hear of what life is like in that part of the country. From what the agent tells me, my 175 will be automatically activated once Ive spent 2 years in ACT as i will be onshore so I don't have to stay there forever which is some consolation. Needless to say, despite getting an actual visa in my hand to go, Im not so sure about the location. I wont know anyone, I'll have no job and place to stay. Granted I can sort out accommodation from here, but might be a lonely two years Im thinking as apparently nothing happens in Canberra as its more of a family orientated lifestyle. Im strongly debating maybe canceling the state visa at this point and letting the process of the 175 run its course. I'll be 35 in January, no kids, own house, job etc. Confused.com. Opinions appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Empire o de Sun

I've been to canberra, It's a small town with a big footprint of you know what I mean. I actually found it not too bad but I was there for only a week or so. But it is a small town with the Federal Gov as the largest employer,which is why is exists. But more things are legal in Canberra that the other states and territories.

If you get a job the two years will fly by. But you have to really research into potential employers as the ACT is small limiting employment oppertunities. It could take a fair few months to get a job.

And anyway Canberra is Ideally located between Sydney and Melbourne. and Adelaide is only a few hours further away.

The thing you need to ask yourself is.

Can you afford to wait for the full visa? If you are in a stable job then wait, but sometimes you have to take a leap of faith. If you can afford to, fly over. And check for yourself.

The thing to remember too with the ACT is that is is fairly small. Tiny.

But remember, you skill was on the list for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭ifumust82

I'm living in Sydney for the last 6 years but am moving to Canberra with my wife this year. I had found that the majority of jobs are in the public service and you to be a citizen in order to apply.
    I'm waiting on completing the citizenship ceremony as there's is not much in my area apart from government work.
    I suppose it all depends in what your skilled occupation is

Advertisement