Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working out GPA needed to get a 1:1

Options
  • 20-12-2012 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Can someone help (I'm a bit dim when it comes to working this malarkey out so excuse me)
    I got a GPA of 3.93 in third year which accounts for 30% towards my final degree, 4th year is obviously worth 70% - what GPA do I need to get in 4th year to get a first overall?? Anyone help? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

.3 * 3.93 + .7 * x > 3.68

.7 * x > 2.501

x > 3.572857143

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Kedo93

A 1:1 is anything above 3.68 so if you got 3.93 in 3rd year at 30%, you'd need something close to 3.57 avg in 4th year to maintain a 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

You have a GPA of 3.93 and you can't do basic algebra?

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

Polar Ice wrote: »
    Rude much?
    Jealousy won't get you anywhere love!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mumtoe&e

You have a GPA of 3.93 and you can't do basic algebra?[/Quote

Thankfully I don't need to be good at basic algebra for the profession I am entering :-)
    But thanks soooo much for your input - it is a fairly predictable response some of the folk on boards....
    I know I know, the standard of UCD students these days *sigh*

• Advertisement

Raphael wrote: »

.7 * x > 2.501

x > 3.572857143

Thanks so much

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Thankfully I don't need to be good at basic algebra for the profession I am entering :-)
    But thanks soooo much for your input - it is a fairly predictable response some of the folk on boards....

To be fair regardless of your course it is quite surprising that you can't work that out. It would be leaving cert ordinary level algebra at most.

mumtoe&e wrote: »
    You'd kinda want to be able to do basic algebra regardless of profession. That's junior cert stuff!

EDIT: Seriously, what profession (and other normal life activities) would you have to opt for to not require basic algebra?
    There wasn't much else to say... someone else gave you the line by line workings and answer. :pac:
    That's what I was thinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

As far as I recall the op is doing midwifery. Some people need to be able to do maths, some need to be able to judge openings using two fingers. Different strokes and all that.

To be fair regardless of your course it is quite surprising that you can't work that out. It would be leaving cert ordinary level algebra at most.

I specifically highlighted in my original post that I was a bit dim when it came to working out simple mathematical solutions! I specifically said this as I knew the usual suspects would jump on the bandwagon
    I've a 12 year old 6th class son whom I have difficulty helping with his maths homework & I have absolutely NO shame in admitting that!
    I'm doing extremely well in my degree to date, ask me a simple mathematical equation on the spot & I won't have a clue how to answer it!!
    Just remember we cannot All be perfect!!! Spot on its midwifery that I am doing!
    Some people need to stop belittling others!
    I asked a question - I seeked an answer. I got it therefore thanks to the helpful posters :-)
    To the others thank you too, you make me realise i'm so glad I'm not perfect as I never plan on being so :-)

• Advertisement

Raphael wrote: »

.7 * x > 2.501

x > 3.572857143
    I don't get the whole calculation thing? Can you explain if you don't mind please?

leesmom wrote: »
    I don't get the whole calculation thing? Can you explain if you don't mind please?
    Jealousy won't get you anywhere love!

Confused.

• Site Banned Posts: 154 ✭✭beaner88

Can somebody work backwards for me. I got a first (82%) in my graduating year. What GPA would that be equivalent to so I can rub some yanks nose in it one day.

Polar Ice - do you have anything constructive (other than sarcasm) to add to this thread??

What do folk on boards get out of trying to belittle others?

Whether or not you think a question is stupid is irrelevant. If someone asks a question, they are clearly seeking an answer.

Seriously, the season of good will and all that :rolleyes:

Leesmom, its ok, I am still unsure myself, but thankfully none of my modules involved maths :D

beaner88 wrote: »
    Can somebody work backwards for me. I got a first (82%) in my graduating year. What GPA would that be equivalent to so I can rub some yanks nose in it one day.

Hey Beaner,
    The way you work your overall GPA is:
    Each Grade you received per module is calculated by GPA, so for eg.
    A+ = 4.2
    A = 4.0
    A- = 3.8
    B+ = 3.6
    B = 3.4 etc

So lets say you completed 6 modules, you got 4 A+ and 2 A's - well you calculate your gpa by the following:
    (A+) 4.2 x 5 = 21 (A) 4.0 x 5 = 20 (the 5 is 5 credits for each module)
    So you got 4 A+ @ 21 = 84 and two A's at 20 = 40
    84 + 40 = 124 - You then divide the 124 by 30 (30 is 5 credits per module, so for the 6 modules, its 30 credits)
    124 divided by 30 = 4.13 So your GPA would be 4.13 based on the results above.

Probably not explaining this very well, and I may even be wrong, but I am sure someone will promptly point it out to me if I am wrong :D - 82% finals is some achievement - well done!
    Youl

Distinction/

Polar Ice - do you have anything constructive (other than sarcasm) to add to this thread??

All yourself and leesmom are doing is liking all of each others comments. You're boasting of a 3.93 GPA and can't do basic algebra. Someone did out your exact equation and then leesmom said they didn't get it. This is the UCD form, not Junior Cert. In all fairness, regardless if you need to be able to do algebra in your course, there are multiple cases where you need to be able to do basic algebra in everyday life.

I'll add something more constructive:

beaner88 wrote: »

It can be very hard to directly compare results from one University to another. For example, UCD's GPA system is out of 4.2, where as most other systems are out of 4. Individual Universities may have different cut off bands. Some Universities also award varying levels of 1.1s 2.1s 2.2s etc... (you could easily drag in grade inflation here.)
    Even within Ireland there are noted differences between the 7 Universities in GPA values, and even more distinctly in letter grading.

All yourself and leesmom are doing is liking all of each others comments. You're boasting of a 3.93 GPA and can't do basic algebra. Someone did out your exact equation and then leesmom said they didn't get it. This is the UCD form, not Junior Cert. In all fairness, regardless if you need to be able to do algebra in your course, there are multiple cases where you need to be able to do basic algebra in everyday life.

It can be very hard to directly compare results from one University to another. For example, UCD's GPA system is out of 4.2, where as most other systems are out of 4. Individual Universities may have different cut off bands. Some Universities also award varying levels of 1.1s 2.1s 2.2s etc... (you could easily drag in grade inflation here.)
    Even within Ireland there are noted differences between the 7 Universities in GPA values, and even more distinctly in letter grading.
    I understand that someone did the equation out but I simply asked them to explain it, you may be good at maths but unfortunately the same cant be said for myself. And junior cert maths it may be, however I wouldn't be able to do a junior cert maths paper again!
    How is asking if anyone can help work out a potential overall gpa boasting. Don't think so.

'boasting' are you serious??
    Oh dear!! I shall be banned if I say what I want to say so I best keep strum!

I understand that someone did the equation out but I simply asked them to explain it, you may be good at maths but unfortunately the same cant be said for myself. And junior cert maths it may be, however I wouldn't be able to do a junior cert maths paper again!
    How is asking if anyone can help work out a potential overall gpa boasting. Don't think so.

I got an A in JC higher maths..... Yet I cannot do my sons 6th class maths homework.....
    There are many people who are simply rubbish at basic maths & I will openly admit I am one of them people!

• Advertisement

I say what I want to say

ahhhh... go on!

I'm being double teamed by mom and mum anyway :D:cool::pac:

ahhhh... go on!

I'm being double teamed by mom and mum anyway :D:cool::pac:

Nah, it's the season of goodwill I shall be nice!!!
    Have a very merry Christmas! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Sure thing, but it might take me a while to get round to doing so. Will try to remember though.

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Some people need to be able to do maths, some need to be able to judge openings using two fingers.

I'm not sure. Those are both important skills for everyone!

30% * 3.93 = 1.179
    70% * X = .7X

3.68 = 1.179 + .7X [3.68 or higher is your target. We put that equal to your current weighted GPA value plus the unknown X value]
    2.501 = .7X
    2.501/.7 = X
    3.57 = X

I'd seriously advise you consider availing of some revision in algebra.
    The Kahn academy is a great resource in this case with worked out examples that you can follow online for free: https://www.khanacademy.org/math/algebra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I'll break it down into a story for you - that was each calculation is explained. It's the long winded way, but it skips the bits of algebra not explained as its presumed you already know.

A farmer was trying to figure out how much of each meal his pig will need to eat until its full.

He had 4.2 nutritional worth of food he gives the pig at every meal (apples and special pig feed), and he knows that he only needs to get his pig to eat 3.68 worth of total meals until it's full!

But the problem is, he already fed the pig breakfast this morning, and he used apples, which only account for 30% of the daily nutrition the pig gets from meals (as dinner has more good stuff). The pig ate 3.93 GPA (Gobbldey Piggy Apples) of the 4.2 morning portion, and the other 0.27 went to waist (a racoon stole it).

The farmer divides the total amount of food given (4.2) by 100 to find 1% and then he multiplies that by 30, to find the total amount of nutrition available at breakfast from the 4.2 overall and he gets 1.26...so that's the maximum nutrition the pig could have gotten out of breakfast.

So the farmer works out that the 3.93 apples of 4.2 was only worth 30% of nutrition. He divides the total amount of apples eaten by the total amount of apples available (3.93/4.2) and finds that the pig ate 93.57% of his breakfast.

So he divides the total nutrition of 1.26 that was available for breakfast (which we calculated earlier) by 100 and finds 1% - then multiplies it by 93.57 (the portion of breakfast eaten), which equals 1.179 nutrition eaten out of a possible 1.26 available at breakfast...that means that the pig still needs to eat another 2.501 worth of nutrition before he's full (the amount of nutrition he needs to eat in a day minus the amount he's already eaten).

But the problem is, since the pig already ate breakfast, he has used up 30% of his available food already, so he needs to get that 2.501 portion from the 70% of nutrition remaining at dinner time. So how much of the remaining nutrition will the pig need to eat before it's full?

So, the total amount of nutrition available was 4.2. So we know that only a total amount of 2.94 nutrition remains (4.2 = total food...divide by 100 and multiply by 70 = 70% of food, the remaining amount...or just minus the total amount available at breakfast, which was 1.26)

so now we know that the pig needs to eat 2.501 worth of nutrition from the 2.94 portion remaining for dinner. That's an 85% portion (2.94 - maximum nutrition remaining - divided by 2.501 - the remaining amount needed until the pig is full). So 4.2 (the total amount of dinner items to be given to the pig) divided by 100 (to find 1%) and multiplied by 85 (to find 85% - the portion of dinner the pig must eat to be full) gives you 3.57.

So, the pig needs to eat 3.57 out of the 4.2 bits of feed available at dinner!

That's 3.57 out of 4.2 at dinner (which is 70% of his nutrition available) and he ate 3.93 of 4.2 for breakfast, but that feed only had 30% of the nutrition available for the day.

:pac:

[Jackass] wrote: »
    A farmer was trying to figure out how much of each meal his pig will need to eat until its full.

hmm... slight problem with that. Pigs are never full. They're pigs!

Entertainment: 10/10
    Funny: 8/10
    Simplicity: 2/10

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

30% * 3.93 = 1.179
    70% * X = .7X

3.68 = 1.179 + .7X [3.68 or higher is your target. We put that equal to your current weighted GPA value plus the unknown X value]
    2.501 = .7X
    2.501/.7 = X
    3.57 = X

I'd seriously advise you consider availing of some revision in algebra.
    The Kahn academy is a great resource in this case with worked out examples that you can follow online for free: https://www.khanacademy.org/math/algebra

oh well if you are seriously advising it, then OP better do it.

CommanderC wrote: »

oh well if you are seriously advising it, then OP better do it.

Love it!!!!
    Polar ice thankfully the women we care for during the antenatal, intranatal and postnatal periods are not too concerned with how mathematically programmed our brains are, they are more concerned with our caring nature & our ability to provide quality care to them and their precious babies.
    Thankfully i'm not too shabby at medication calculations so I reckon I might manage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,148 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

A fair few twats in this thread.

Advertisement