Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

a 6 day holiday to Milan and Lugano, Switzerland

• 20-12-2012 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I am planning spending a couple of days in Milan and probably a day or two in Lugano, Switzerland of a 6 day holiday trip with my partner. Its likely (not confirmed) that we'll go on a thursday in the end January, gonna do a bit of tour and sightseeing on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

Then we'll take either the train or bus heading North to Switzerland's Lugano which is an hour away drive from Milan. My question here is, is there anybody whove been to Lugano, is it worth a 2 day visit or a day is plenty? cos I dunno whether I should go back to Milan on the same day on Sunday or stay over for a nite if so I will have to book a hotel in Lugano separately. Thanks a million for yr help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

I went to Lugano from Milano last year in May. I stayed in Lugano for two nights. First day I went by funicular to the mountain Monte Bre, the ticket was 23 Swiss Fr round trip. That was spectacular and unforgetable! Don't know how it operates in winter season.
    The same day in the afternoon I rushed by the train from Lugano center to the Swiss Miniature in the place called Melide, like a suburb of Lugano, it's not far, about 20 min on the way, return ticket 6.80 CHF. Again, don't know it's business hours in winter season.
    Then the next day went by the boat to a picturesque lakeside village Morcote seven miles south of Lugano. But again, now in the winter don't know if the boat is running. We took a very relaxed and enjoyable stroll around the village of a few hours, posing for the photos and ending up with a power-giving cup of Swiss coffee at an open-air terraced cafē with lake-views.
    So, the best time for travelling still remains after January :))))))))
    There is a German department store Manor in the center of the town, that offers cheap and a huge selection of food, including the famous Swiss chocolates. There is also a cheap Manor self-service restaurant (or just eating place) nearby, also offers an incredibly wide variety of hot and cold food.
    My conclusion is - in wintertime you can go for one night but in Summertime two or three nights.
    Merry Xmas and Happy new year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 frederick666

thanks for your info really appreciate it. Can you tell me which airport particularly did you land in in Milan? and did you go to Central station and pop on d train to Lugano?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

Flew into Milan Malpensa (MXP) and got a bus from airport up to Switzerland. Returned to Milan city by bus. It's a nice trip up. I'm sure the train is just as nice.

Advertisement