Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NFL Week 16

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

kmart6 wrote: »
    What?! How about going after the ball to get the incomplete pass?! It's not necessary to break him up mid air, should be timing in right and making a play on the ball!

Which would be fine and dandy, except this is football, we like it as a contact sport

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Paully D wrote: »

Carroll will run up the score as much as he can too, he hates Harbaugh.
    Yeah he seems to be a lot less sensitive to teams running up the score when he's not on the receiving end of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

matthew8 wrote: »
    What exactly does Smith do that makes this game more suited to him?
    Be a lot more composed in the pocket and not be looking to get out of it at every opportunity!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

adrian522 wrote: »
    Yeah he seems to be a lot less sensitive to teams running up the score when he's not on the receiving end of it.

''What's your deal?'' :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

kmart6 wrote: »
    Be a lot more composed in the pocket and not be looking to get out of it at every opportunity!

Knaepernick looks very jumpy tonight.

I don't think he's going to be good enough by the play-offs for this gambit to pay off, this year at least. Smith still offers them the best chance of winning now.

I agree, Smith should be on, Knaepernick just doesn't have it in him this year.

Seahawks virtually assured to score a td here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Give him a break, he's had some excellent games. He's had a rough night tonight so far, but he's playing in the rain against a stingy defense in the loudest stadium in the NFL.

Aye and he's clearly not used to it, let smith in, he cant be doing worse. Good td throw

Give him a break, he's had some excellent games. He's had a rough night tonight so far, but he's playing in the rain against a stingy defense in the loudest stadium in the NFL.
    Smith had an excellent season up until his concussion and got benched, previous games don't stand for anything right now, they need the best option for the team out there!

• Advertisement

I really don't think Smith would be making a difference out there. You can't really bench Kaep after putting up 41 points in NE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

I thought he is doing fine, couple of dropped balls, not his fault 49ers D can't stop the Seahawks

This is what you need to beat to win the Superbowl, and that's the only goal worth anything to the 49ers right now.

I'd also say he played well, not excellently.

He's obviously the QB of the future for them but the whole gambit by Harbaugh was predicated on the idea of Knaepernick his way into being a game-breaker by the play-offs. He isn't. He's won no game Smith wouldn't have won. Smith would have better poise in the face of this sort of defence. They still mightn't have been winning but he'd clearly have been a better option in retrospect.

Harbaugh made the wrong choice.

Going to wrap it up and head to bed at half time I reckon. I'll be gutted if I miss an epic comeback but can't see it even getting close now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Colin Kaepernick ripped up the pats last week, he hasn't become a bad player since then. The kid deserves to keep his job.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

No way the 49ers switch to smith now, kaep is the qb for good or I'll...

• Advertisement

Smith wouldn't have beaten NE imo. He showed against Chicago and NE that he can be a playmaker against the cream of the NFL. And who knows, maybe he can get it done tonight.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Colin Kaepernick ripped up the pats last week, he hasn't become a bad player since then. The kid deserves to keep his job.

Smith hasn't become a bad player either, second to only AR in rating this year.

Syferus wrote: »

This is what you need to beat to win the Superbowl, and that's the only goal worth anything to the 49ers right now.

I'd also say he played well, not excellently.

He's obviously the QB of the future for them but the whole gambit by Harbaugh was predicated on the idea of Knaepernick his way into being a game-breaker by the play-offs. He isn't. He's won no game Smith wouldn't have won.

Harbaugh made the wrong choice.

I honesty don't think a Smith led niners beats the Pats, he wouldn't have made any of the long TD throws.

That'll help Akers you'd hope!

This is the same Patriots defence that has been a running joke for years, right? I really don't place much stock in how any QB fairs against them and I doubt any coaches really do either.

You have to try not to polarize the issue - Knaepernick has played well, but not so well that he was clearly the better option for the play-offs for a Superbowl-chasing team, which is exactly the gambit Harbaugh made in yanking Smith.

We can argue about the margins of how close the two QBs are, but it was the wrong decision.

• Advertisement

Kaep threw 4 TDs something smith has never done. Threw 3 TDs over 20 yards something smith has never done. He is more mobile and has a stronger arm and there is nothing to gain by benching him now.

I'd also add I don't think Knaepernick will be switched out now, because of Harbaugh's ego and because of the damage it could do to the QB of the future.

Kaep threw 4 TDs something smith has never done. Threw 3 TDs over 20 yards something smith has never done. He is more mobile and has a stronger arm and there is nothing to gain by benching him now.

Having a strong arm isn't everything. You need accuracy and constant completeions, something smith can deliver. To be honest I don't see 49rs coming back but there is nothing to be lost throwing in Smith

Have to agree to disagree with you Syferus, I maintain it was the right call. He's not doing great tonight granted, but the offense as a whole looks better with CK under centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Smith against the Pats or Knaepernick against the Pats? It doesn't make a damn difference. The Pats put in another poor performance today which puts last weeks game in context. That aside, I think the way Smith has been treated by Harbaugh to be particularly scummy.

Arawn wrote: »

Having a strong arm isn't everything. You need accuracy and constant completeions, something smith can deliver. To be honest I don't see 49rs coming back but there is nothing to be lost throwing in Smith

There is something to be lost, it could seriously damage CKs confidence. I would argue there is nothing to be gained by putting Smith in.

There is something to be lost, it could seriously damage CKs confidence. I would argue there is nothing to be gained by putting Smith in.

Playing as bad as he is can also damage his confidence

Smith doesn't have the big play ability, nothing to gain by putting him in here. Also you destroy the confidence of the young qb by benching him now even though he hasn't really done anything wrong in the first half. Smith wouldn't have done any better.

To be honest I don't see 49rs coming back but there is nothing to be lost throwing in Smith

I'll be amazed if Harbaugh is man enough to eat that particular brand of humble pie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭padraig_f

I really can't see them changing it mid-game anyway, this is the kind of game Kaepernick was brought into win, where you need to put up a big score.

I doubt Alex Smith will mind too much not playing the second half, the defensive pressure from the Seahawks front seven is unbelievable, and it would be very hard for him to do anything different.

• Advertisement

Smith against the Pats or Knaepernick against the Pats? It doesn't make a damn difference. The Pats put in another poor performance today which puts last weeks game in context. That aside, I think the way Smith has been treated by Harbaugh to be particularly scummy.
    No way smith makes the plays kaep made last week, he never went for the big play,always checked it down. Kaepernick was brilliant last week and vindicated the decision to change qb.

Smith doesn't have the big play ability, nothing to gain by putting him in here. Also you destroy the confidence of the young qb by benching him now even though he hasn't really done anything wrong in the first half. Smith wouldn't have done any better.
    As i said maybe big plays aren't whats needed, medium games, constantly can do quite alot for a teams confidence rather than relying on one big play
    I'll be amazed if Harbaugh is man enough to eat that particular brand of humble pie.

Me either. I can see both sides on which qb to play for the second half. I still think smith might bring a cooler head and not try to force it

As i said maybe big plays aren't whats needed, medium games, constantly can do quite alot for a teams confidence rather than relying on one big play

Me either. I can see both sides on which qb to play for the second half. I still think smith might bring a cooler head and not try to force it
    Smith isn't going to rescue this game anyway so would be utterly idiotic to put him in, luckily harbaugh isn't as clueless as some posters on here.

Smith isn't going to rescue this game anyway so would be utterly idiotic to put him in, luckily harbaugh isn't as clueless as some posters on here.

sher we'll sit and catch CK rescue it so. Another reason to put smith in, If you want Ck for next week why risk injury in a lost game

Wow, you're logic is flawless. Obviously an expert.

In other news Justin Smith has just been ruled out for the rest of the regular season.

Wow, you're logic is flawless. Obviously an expert.

In other news Justin Smith has just been ruled out for the rest of the regular season.

I'm sorry, remind me what nfl team you coach that you're the true expert here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

sher we'll sit and catch CK rescue it so. Another reason to put smith in, If you want Ck for next week why risk injury in a lost game

This is stupid logic in a 3 score game. Clearly not over yet.

Another one for the ignore list.

Seems to be a bit of injury crisis developing.

Manningham, Justin smith and Vernon Davis all looking fairly dodgy at the moment.

SantryRed wrote: »
    This is stupid logic in a 3 score game. Clearly not over yet.

It's over when you don't look like scoring a td at all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

It's over when you don't look like scoring a td at all

I can't believe you think Alex Smith would make a difference :pac: He wouldn't have a hope and that'll be shown wherever he ends up next year.

2 seed probably gone now. Niners still unable to put 3 good games back to back.

Kaepernick hasnt been great but is not really the problem tonight. It would be insanity to bench him now to be honest. He'll have a few games where he`ll struggle but you have to let him make his mistakes and he`ll be better for it.

The defense has been poor tonight to be honest,getting picked apart really.

Moss knew exactly what he was doing there!

Staying up till the bitter end, well done to Seattle, they've been excellent tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

I dont care if San Francisco had some unreal hybrid of Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers and Dan Marino on the bench, there was no way he'd be winning this match.

Seattle have been awesome and Wilson could have taken the lead in rookie of the year voting after tonight. Hope they get 50 again for the craic.

Think the 49ers could end up playing Seattle in the wildcard round. Need to regroup for next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Awesome performance from the Seahawks, maybe the best I've seen all season.

I'm not writing the 49ers off because they never matched the intensity of the Seahawks tonight, and it could've been one of those nights where you don't have the energy.

A lot of talk about Kaepernick on the thread, but Kaepernick isn't the problem. The league-leading defense has been completely steam-rollered. The 49ers concede 5.5 yards-per-pass-attempt (1st), tonight they conceded 7.8. They concede 3.6 yards-per-carry (4th), tonight they conceded 5.0. They're huge numbers which it's almost impossible for the offense to compensate for.

Cris Collinsworth made a very good point last night during the game. He mentioned how muted and exhausted the 49'ers were post game last week, after barely hanging on against the Pats. Their toughest road game is then followed by a trip to the Seahawks, tough for any team. The 49'ers just looked totally burned out after the Pats game and it showed on the pitch last night. A great win for the Seahawks, but it shouldn't be taken outta context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Was waiting on Seattle for an Accumulator, but I couldnt stay up, so recorded it. Just watched it there, haha nice little xmas bonus €76!

Some result for Seattle considering last weeks result by the 49'ers. Seattle looking seriously good, they have all the momentum now going into the off season.

Seattle beat the Patriots in an arguably more spectacular way, a fourth quarter comeback, something that seems to have been forgotten.

Let's not hype up the 49ers too much in the context of the Patriots game. If it really took this much out of them then it says bad things about their Superbowl credentials.

If the Seahawks had home advantage throughout the playoffs you would have to fancy them, wouldn't you? That crowd is just unbelievable. I lost count of the amount of times Kaepernick wasn't able to get the play called properly and they either spent a timeout or had to rush it with a second left on the play clock.

• Advertisement
Advertisement