Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy-free Chocolate Biscuit Cake

Options
  • 20-12-2012 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of making a dairy-free chocolate biscuit cake for a friend who is avoiding dairy. She will eat dark chocolate, and I can hopefully source some dairy-free biscuits. I figure golden syrup is fine to use. The issue is butter. Anyone have any ideas what I could substitute, or would it be ok to just leave out the butter? Or would the cake become really hard to cut without butter?

I've been looking at using a recipe like this one from Odlums.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Mary-Ellen

Would peanut butter work?
    Although it would alter the flavour it could be nice :D

You would also be able to get dairy free spreads in healthshops but they might not be as nice as real butter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

"Pure" is a good substitute for butter, I've used it in buttercream and cakes and they came out perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not sure about using peanut butter - I don't know if the recipient likes peanuts!

I just looked at Tesco online and they stock the Pure range. I'll give that a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

Sorry for coming in here so late but if you're still around, I would suggest using coconut oil instead of butter. The taste is hardly there at all, it's very good for you and it will set up like butter does when cold. I have used it in Coconut Lazy Daisy Cake and in banana muffins and it's just gorgeous. Hope it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

Thanks janmaree.

I ended up following this recipe, using "Pure" dairy-free sunflower spread. It set to a nice, sliceable consistency, and tasted good!

• Advertisement
Advertisement