Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New break disks and pads squeeking!

• 20-12-2012 3:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭

Ok, as it states, I've recently had new break disks and pads fitted. Obviously at the beginning it takes some bedding in time for the new pads and disks so I thought nothing of it.

However as it's now been a month and the bike is used 2-3 ties a week I would have thought the bedding in period should be done!

As of this morning the initial problem of the pads sticking to the disk is now gone so I can freely move the bike, however the problem of the squeaking especially at the low speeds (below 50kph) is just annoying at this stage!

Does anyone have any idea how I can mend this? I am not all that technical when it gets to breaks and do not want to be opening the callipers out or anything like that but if that is the only solution I will bring the bike back to the shop I got the work done in.

Any advice or help in this is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Go back to your mechanic, its a 15 minute job with some copper grease, he won't begrudge you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Ok, perfect, Thanks for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Go back to your mechanic, its a 15 minute job with some copper grease, he won't begrudge you.

Yep - copper grease will sort that for ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

copper grease is ok on the back of the pads but don't get it near the rubber seals as it will cause them to degrade very quickly, use rubber grease if you're not sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Rubber grease won't stop squeaking pads though.
    Better still is Ceramic brake paste, it does the same job as copper grease but doesn't destroy rubber.
    Mintex do tubes of it in autofactors for about €8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,411 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I find when I get squeaking it's not the front brake dragging, but one piston not extending properly (4-piston calipers). The fix is to pump each piston out in turn (not too far) and clean with brake cleaner, using pieces of wood or similar to stop the other pistons being pushed out.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Better still is Ceramic brake paste, it does the same job as copper grease but doesn't destroy rubber.

off to get some tmorrow! ta!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

CJhaughey wrote: »

Why didn't you post this 15 yrs ago and I wouldn't have bought this bucket of copper grease :mad: (still about five years worth in it too lol )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Why didn't you post this 15 yrs ago and I wouldn't have bought this bucket of copper grease :mad: (still about five years worth in it too lol )
    I have loads of copper grease as well.
    The Ceramic stuff is only new out.
    Copper grease is still great stuff for antislip treatment of stuff that corrodes exhaust clamps etc.

Advertisement