Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Bike!

Options
  • 20-12-2012 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, I haven't been cycling for a few years now so getting a bike on the cycle to work scheme to try get back into it. I will be using the bike to cycle to work and then a bit on weekends. ye never know I may end up using it for fitness but not sure yet. I have narrowed it down to 2 bikes. The Giant defy 4 2012 with drop handle bars and then the Claud Butler Chinook with straight handle bars. The defy is over 200 more expensive and I am just wondering if it is worth spending this extra money and which bike would be more appropriate for what i would need??

Cheers for your help!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Yes. The Defy is a way better spec'd bike.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Try them both out, even if it's only around the shops car park. Drop bars are more comfortable for a long ride, and the Defy is the better bike, so if you can get on with it, it is probably the better option. Flat bars can be easier starting out, and some prefer them and the more upright position in traffic.

I use a flat bar bike for commutes, trips to the shop etc... and a drop bar bike for long days out and leisure cycling. The drop bar road bike is more of a pleasure to ride, comfier, and takes less effort to go further.

Edit: For urban areas, the Defy will be more of a magnet for thieves, so think carefully about a good lock, which will be another €100 odd for something worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 adverts

Thanks for the feedback. I think the main thing I am concerned about is whether I will like the drop bars or not. I feel like the Defy would be the better choice anyway but everyone says if you do not go on long rides at the weekend it is pointless to get the drop bars. At the moment I am not sure if I will be doing this like I could easily go off every weekend. If i ended up not going off each weekend would I be regretting the drop bars a lot or would i just get used to them??? I will be getting tougher tires on the bike either way also which may help commuting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

If you persevere with drop bars, you'll get used to them. It took me a while, but I think most people don't have any issue with them.

Advertisement