Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places with a nice view to stop the car and just chill

Options
  • 20-12-2012 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭

Hey, anyone know some good places that's quiet, has a nice view of either the sky or city lights that you can just park your car and chill?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DAZP93

The road between fountainstown and myrtleville has a nice spot to park..(near enough to bunnys) and the view of the ocean is breathtaking! Prob not much good in the dark though..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Roches Point is very scenic aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Interesting thread I have to say - I've said before on one or two threads that the Airport hill has a great view down on the city - if only there was a place to park.

That said, the airport itself is a good spot to chill out and watch a few planes take off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Theres a back road by the airport, runs pretty much parallel to the airport road that you can stop the car at a gate on the hill and the view of the city is amazing. You wont see Mahon or Blackrock but most of the city centre and the westside. Great at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

CHealy wrote: »
    Theres a back road by the airport, runs pretty much parallel to the airport road that you can stop the car at a gate on the hill and the view of the city is amazing. You wont see Mahon or Blackrock but most of the city centre and the westside. Great at night.
    Cheers for the heads up :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Can you still drive up to the gates of Fort Davis? Amazing view of Cork Harbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

There is a great place in Ringaskiddy with savage ciews of the harbour too. Drive straight thorugh the village, just past the enterance to the naval base and you will see a carpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

D'Agger wrote: »
    Interesting thread I have to say - I've said before on one or two threads that the Airport hill has a great view down on the city - if only there was a place to park.

That said, the airport itself is a good spot to chill out and watch a few planes take off

Used to love doing that years ago...

You can't park up at the Airport itself anymore,,but there are a few places on the back roads.

One is the back road up through Lehenaghmore,just where the Runway lights are..The planes come in just a few seconds from touchdown,,so very low,,and noisey..And fab to watch.

The second spot is way further down that road,as you hit the turn-off for Ballygarvan..
    You can watch the planes from there either taking off,or coming into land..Depending on the wind direction.

Pass an hour or 2 anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Theres a back road by the airport, runs pretty much parallel to the airport road that you can stop the car at a gate on the hill and the view of the city is amazing.

Lovely spot at night.

Kinsale park up beauty spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭starch4ser

There's another spot on the other side of the airport where you can look down over the southside. It's on the ridge of a hill above lehanaghmore. There's even a gravel lay-by to park. The google maps image is at a bad angle. You can see much more from the lay-by which is just before this picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭starch4ser

If you don't mind going off road, this is the view from Frankfield golf course!

306651720_cadcf672e9_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20 the_ferreter

If you go up by Mount Oval via the south link and take the first turning on your left as you come into mount oval there is a load of unfinnished houses there and great views up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Lamposts

The view at Charles Fort is nice as well! Anymore? x

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

There are incredible views over the harbour throughout most of the Great Island i.e. Cobh. My favourite spot is the top of East Hill, if you park up there - you can see everything for miles from the open sea beyond the Harbour entrance of Roches Point, all over the habour, truly breathtaking.

I would also agree on being at Roches Point, viewing the harbour from another angle.

And if you drive to the top of Camden Road in Crosshaven, where the Bus would turn. An amazing harbour view there also, where you look across at the lights of Cobh.

As far as the City Lights are concerned - the top of Sunday's well looking over the city.

Advertisement