Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sprouts

Options
  • 20-12-2012 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

Quick question on cooking sprouts. I usually prepare and cook them on the day, parboiled then finished in the oven with smoked bacon and a bit of lemon juice. Yesterday my husband came home with 2 bags of fresh sprouts. I assume they won't keep as they are until christmas so I was wondering how best to preserve them until the 25th.

I was thinking of par boiling, blanching and freezing. If I do this, can I continue to cook from frozen in the oven as I usually would?

I know I could just cook them up for dinner today, but so close to Christmas I'd prefer not to. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I'd expect them to keep until Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

That's 6 days from when they were bought until eaten. I would worry they might be a bit tired looking at that stage.

It's no big deal really to buy more on 23rd if necessary, it just seems like a waste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

They'll be fine, seriously. Store them, loose, on a clean tea-towel in the dew-box of your fridge. Just remove any tired leaves from the outside when you're preparing them, which I find you usually have to do regardless of how "new" they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I'd just prepare them as normal (removing outer skin and cutting a cross in them) and then blanche for 3-4 minutes, immerse in freezing water and then ziplock them up until you need them. As for putting them in the oven I don't know I'm afraid as I have never roasted sprouts. I boil them lightly and then add them to the pan with butter, smoked bacon and pepper. I know that they can be cooked from frozen on the hob in boiling water.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

No bother with putting them in oven from frozen, we do it every sunday, they'll just need that little bit longer cooking, kids love roasted sprouts, will try your idea of bacon and lemon juice, :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

I steam them and freeze them then no problem and reheat from frozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fungums

Hey just wondering about the spouts? How long do u boil them for and how long to fry? Always found them boring just boiled

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭donegal_man

This is from the River Cottage cookbook

500g brussels sprouts, trimmed
    20g butter
    2 tbsps double cream
    4-6 rashers streaky bacon, each cut into 5-6 strips
    1 tsp groundnut oil
    200g peeled, cooked chestnuts, roughly chopped

Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil, and cook the sprouts in it until just tender – this should take no more than about six to eight minutes. Drain, then tip into the bowl of a food processor along with the butter and cream. Pulse until you have a rough, creamy purée.
    Fry the bacon in the oil until crisp. Scrape the creamed sprouts into a saucepan with a spatula, stir in the chestnut pieces and gently heat through. Spoon into a warmed dish, sprinkle over the crispy bacon bits and serve at once.

Two things I do differently to the "proper" recipe I use water chestnuts and I cook the sprouts in half and half water and cidona. Seriously it makes them taste incredible

Advertisement