Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can an Msc be funded like a phd?

Options
  • 20-12-2012 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭

Hi there
    I am thinking of applying to do a Msc in Iceland. It is two years and research based.
    I was just wondering if anyone has ever heard of Msc students being funded similar to the way Phd students are. eg grants from industry or government bodies.
    Since its a two year course and the vast majority of it is dedicated to a research project it would seem like I could try and get funded this way.
    How would I get started on that?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

Well, surely the first port of call would be your potential supervisor?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

It can happen but it's not usual. When I finished my undergrad, I applied for IRCSET funding (also check out IRCHSS depending on the area of your research, and you'll need the support of a potential supervisor for this). I was awarded funding for 3 years to do a PhD but after 2 years wrote up an MSc & left it at that.

Mind you, with IRCSET (& I guess IRCHSS), the T&C say that if you don't complete the PhD you have to pay them back all the money!!! Although my supervisor wrote to them to say I hadn't wasted all their money, so I was ok!

Depending on your project idea, you could talk to potential supervisors to apply for funding from some of the agencies & they agree to hire you with it. Usually the academic has the funding secured, then advertise to hire any postgrad student to do the work. It's not easy to get funding in your own name to hire yourself for an MSc, can't really think of any agency who does that (although I'm kind of out of the loop now).

An industry sponsor who would benefit from your research might be your best bet; find a company & a supervisor who are interested in your project. I've seen a company+academic agree a project, co-fund it (50% from the company, 50% from IRCSET) & then advertise & hire a student. Although most of these set ups I've seen were PhDs as the company wants a lot of research done before they invest further in new technologies!

Good luck with your research!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Athlone I.T. offer some funded Msc projects:

http://www.ait.ie/presidentsseedfund/

Advertisement