Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on 1st smart phone please

Options
  • 20-12-2012 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭

Hi i'm looking to buy a smart phone for a 40+ woman who has decided she wants an i-phone. I have no clue about phones and still use my trusty basic Nokia C1 :o so i have no idea where to start, i'll list what i think to be important and would really appreciate any suggestions thanks.

1. She wants to fb and use net on it but wants to stay payg, can she do this?
    2. budget is around €400-500 mark
    3. Easy to use.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

kristian12 wrote: »
    1. She wants to fb and use net on it but wants to stay payg, can she do this?

Yes. What network is she on? Will she change etc?

2. budget is around €400-500 mark

You will have plenty of options for that amount. Maybe give more detail on what it needed or wanted. You need to decide if its an iphone or something like an iphone will do, especially depending on the operating system
    3. Easy to use.

Their is positive and negatives about all the different OS, she is coming from what type? Will be open to android, iOS or windows?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

If she's decided she wants an iPhone. Maybe that's the simplest way to go.
    Pretty sure you'd get one for that; a iPhone 4, or 4S - if not new, you'd get a good nick 2nd hand one over on adverts.ie (the fanboys are very careful with them to maintain retail value)

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭kristian12

Davy wrote: »
    Yes. What network is she on? Will she change etc?

She's on Tesco at the moment and will change if she really has to.

You will have plenty of options for that amount. Maybe give more detail on what it needed or wanted. You need to decide if its an iphone or something like an iphone will do, especially depending on the operating system

I honestly don't know the first thing but i suppose as long as it does all the same sort of things she'll be happy. She want's to use the internet on it, have a decent camera ect

Their is positive and negatives about all the different OS, she is coming from what type? Will be open to android, iOS or windows?

She is coming from a motorola razr. Whats an Android? iOS and Windows and does it make a difference?

Sorry to sound so thick but i'd like to have at least a rough idea and having tried searching the internet am none the wiser.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Will give you an idea:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Phone

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_%28operating_system%29

She might be best to go into a phone shop and play with a powered up one to see the differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Davy wrote: »
    She might be best to go into a phone shop and play with a powered up one to see the differences.
    This. Explaining phone specs and competing OS options won't help matters.

Just don't let a salesman sign her up to a contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah she'll be fine with an iphone, they are very easy to use.

Depending on what network she is with now she could get a "mobile data" plan added to her existing account to use for surfing the web, facebooking and such stuff from the phone.

Some networks give you a free iphone if you sign up to them, it's not cheap though..

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭kristian12

Brilliant thanks thats give me somewhere to start. I'll visit carphone warehouse tomorrow, i just didn't want to be confused into buying an expensive paperweight if i got the wrong thing.

Advertisement