Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double accounting

Options
  • 20-12-2012 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭

Just wondering I know it is against boards rules to use multiple accounts when you have been banned from one account.
    But just say you want multiple alter egos. Is that alright?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

No, the boards policy is one user, one account (i.e. you can't have two accounts and claim one is dormant because you're not posting on it at the moment). The only exception I'm aware off would be the talk to forum people / guys in red as they are representing a company with one account they are allowed to have a private account (but not allowed to discuss the company on their private account iirc).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I thought it was once you're not using one account for breaking rules and/or getting around a ban.

But every account on your end is treated as one person using it if you get banned?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I thought it was once you're not using one account for breaking rules and/or getting around a ban.

But every account on your end is treated as one person using it if you get banned?
    Not really; using more then one account will be seen as sock pupping (i.e. I post with account A, log in on account B to support A etc.) and there are plenty of prison threads over it. There is basically no circumstance beyond the above when a second account would be accepted (esp. now that you can close the original account before opening up a new one) and it's covered under the ToS in 6.2.
    6.2 Accounts and passwords

boards.ie reserves the right to log off or deactivate accounts that are inactive for an extended period of time.

You will not create more than one personal profile. You may not share your account with anyone. You agree not to provide any false information to Boards.ie Limited or to create an account for anyone other than yourself without the express permission of that other person or entity. You agree not to use the account or password of another user and not to disclose your password to any third party. You agree to notify us immediately if you suspect any unauthorised use of your account or access to your password.

You may change your password or profile by following instructions on the site (http://www.boards.ie/changepassword). Boards.ie Limited will not be liable for any loss that you may incur as a result of someone else using or accessing your password or account, either with or without your knowledge.

You may be held liable for losses incurred by us or any other party as a result of someone else using or accessing your password or account if you have not taken reasonable steps to keep your password or account secure.

Boards.ie Limited may at its absolute discretion refuse you access to the site, delete posts by you or suspend/terminate your account without prior notice for any reason and you shall not be entitled to any compensation in respect of this. If we disable your account you will not be entitled to create another account without our permission.

These Terms of Use, including, in particular, the indemnities contained herein, shall survive any suspension or termination of your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

Actually you can have more than one if you want to post something sensitive you don't want on your main account, e.g. Pregnancy, PI, RI etc, some people are too well known to post as themselves and want stuff recorded somewhere to re-read as often as necessary, which you can't do with an anon login. Powers that be, correct me if I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Elmidena wrote: »
    Actually you can have more than one if you want to post something sensitive you don't want on your main account, e.g. Pregnancy, PI, RI etc, some people are too well known to post as themselves and want stuff recorded somewhere to re-read as often as necessary, which you can't do with an anon login. Powers that be, correct me if I'm wrong.

that has happened but usually it has to be check with an admin that it's ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Elmidena wrote: »
    Do a lot of people post under their real name?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

padd b1975 wrote: »

No, but a lot of us are known by a lot of people from boards in real life. Or even have a persona to uphold and don't wanna reveal too much about our problems under that persona.

I don't have 2 accounts, but if I was posting something I considered sensitive in PI I'd go anon.

No, but a lot of us are known by a lot of people from boards in real life. Or even have a persona to uphold and don't wanna reveal too much about our problems under that persona.

I don't have 2 accounts, but if I was posting something I considered sensitive in PI I'd go anon.
    Yeah, I understand your point about knowing people from here in real life and needing to maintain some privacy.

Someone wanting to protect an ' internet persona' on a random website strikes me as being sad beyond words.
    Get a life people....a real one.

I think the unreg facility should be extended to the Separation and Divorce forum, there is a thread running there by a well known poster who really should have the facility to go unreg.
    Dirty linen in public etc etc

Edit: Just discovered that there is anonymous posting allowed in Separation forum.
    Probably best that I don't comment further on the thread or the behaviour of the OP in opening it....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Separation and Divorce allows anon posting...

Taltos wrote: »
    Separation and Divorce allows anon posting...
    Thanks, just read the charter now.
    I have edited my post accordingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Nody wrote: »
    Not really; using more then one account will be seen as sock pupping (i.e. I post with account A, log in on account B to support A etc.) and there are plenty of prison threads over it. There is basically no circumstance beyond the above when a second account would be accepted (esp. now that you can close the original account before opening up a new one) and it's covered under the ToS in 6.2.

Pfffft.
    Who reads terms of service?

My understanding is you can't use another account to get around a ban or to your own advantage like buy/sell false bidding on adverts.ie or to support your own agenda in a forum discussion.

Don't see any harm with someone having two accounts and playing by the rules as long as they keep them separate.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Official "decision" on multiple accounts here
    Summarising - no more than 1 active account unless you have Admin or Community Manager approval

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Edit: Just discovered that there is anonymous posting allowed in Separation forum.

Same in Parenting and sub-forums (Pregnant, etc).
    Anon posting is also allowed in Personal Issues and Relationship Issues.

Orion wrote: »
    Great stuff, I suppose it would be reasonable to think that there is not many reasons for an everyday poster to have multiple accounts other than acting the maggot.

Orion wrote: »

Also in work and jobs and LGBT forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Some of us do.

Morag wrote: »
    Also in work and jobs and LGBT forums.
    Unnecessary in my opinion, particularly the first one.

I think its just trying to please certain posters who have a mistaken belief that an internet persona is actually worth something.

Would mod resources not be better employed elsewhere instead of pre approving these double insulated posts from an already anonymous account?

Where is it going to end?
    People not wanting to post on the politics forum because they don't want people to know where the political leanings of their internet persona lie?
    Same question for soccer forum, GAA, rugby, religious debates, abortion, divorce etc etc.

Anonymous posting dilutes the sense of community.

All of the forums listed above are ones in which community member can seek advice about personal circumstances, big difference between that and what gfx card to buy.

There is nothing wrong with a community member wishing to do so with out publicly linking to to their account for anyone to see. If someone is abusing the anon posting function they do get found out, the IP of all the posts made anon are recorded same as any post but access to that information is limited.

Community sites like this were people get to know each other and each others persona are built around relationships and reputation, this one certainly always has been, esp due to how often people meet up in real life.

If you think of your persona on this site as being throw away and not worth separating
    possible personal info out from the rest of your post then fair enough but many of us do.
    And many of the contributions to those forums from people posting anon are often very helpful as people can share experiences and advice more freely.

Those forums have always operated that way, you seemed to have only discovered this and don't' seem to be fully aware of how they work.

Just because people here use a nick/handle/nom de internet that does not mean their online persona is some how disconnected from who they are and from their reputation with other members of the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

It's starting to make sense now. In a previous life I and my friends were repeatedly banned, often without explanation.
    There were several of us sharing the same computer, learning our way around boards at the same time. My guess is you saw us as the one person with multiple accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

I remember that in a one case, I believe poetry, a user approached the mods and asked if they could set up a separate account to post poetry, the mods allowed this.

The user was not causing a nuisance or extra work for the mods and used the "pen name" solely for poetry.

The "pen name" was outed maliciously later on but that is beside the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

Someone wanting to protect an ' internet persona' on a random website strikes me as being sad beyond words.
    Get a life people....a real one.

Well you are "padd b". That's as much as I'll ever know. You can post in a random forum to ask advice about dealing with your gf if she finds out you caught an std from a hooker ....... but if you go to a boards social (I've never been but I've never been but I've seen them advertised), there might be a few people who can put a face to "padd b" and you might want extra anonymity ;)

Advertisement