Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I report my principal for sexism?

• 20-12-2012 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

Alright, a couple of months ago(October, I believe), I decided I'd dye my hair red, while there is a rule in my school which says you can only have natural hair colours, I had seen many females with hair this colour, so I figured I'd do it anyway, immediately when I walked into school with this, my principal gave me a week to get it out or he'd send me home until I did, I brought up the females, he told me they'd all been told to take it out, so, the next week, I had my hair back to normal, I figured I'd wait a while to see if he was being honest. Now, in December, there's still a lot of girls with red hair, even a couple with pink highlights and I even saw one with blue hair(and she had it for a few weeks), I asked a couple of my female friends and they said he didn't tell them anything. I remember two of my friends who are males got told to get rid of their red hair.
    Anyway, I've decided for Christmas to dye my hair red again, If I go back to school and my principal forces me to dye my hair and I refuse, can I report him to the board of education for sexism? Or will I not get anywhere doing that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I think it's time to grow up . Sorry to sound like a gumpy person but put your head down instead and concentrate on getting good marks because its crazy tough out there getting jobs. Your in for a rude awakening very shortly .

God listen to me .....

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

I think it's time to gro up . Sorry to sound like a gumpy person but put your head down instead and concentrate on getting good marks because its crazy tough out there getting jobs. Your in for a rude awakening very shortly .

God listen to me .....
    I get good marks, I spend roughly 10 hours a week studying, and that's not including homework, I'm not one of those students who tries to cause problems at every chance they get. I just can't stand this sexism, I want my hair red, I like the colour, but my principal won't let me have it, even though many females have their hair worse. Hell, I wouldn't have a problem with dying my hair a different colour if it was enforced for both males and females, but it's not, and that's my problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭FridaysWell

I think it's time to gro up . Sorry to sound like a gumpy person but put your head down instead and concentrate on getting good marks because its crazy tough out there getting jobs. Your in for a rude awakening very shortly .

God listen to me .....

You didnt answer the OPs question at all. How do you know this guy isnt putting his head down and trying to get good grades? Hes got an issue and hes asking for advice not grief.

OP come back after Xmas as you said, and if your headmaster says anything to you, try and point out to him that other people have done the same thing with nothing said to them and politely point out that your hair isnt harming anyone or your school, especially if there are others with the same hair color.

If hes reasonable, he'll open his eyes and be cool with it, if not than Id say you should get ur parents involved, and maybe point out its being slightly sexist. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,782 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Have you thought it's a school "rule" and not sexism?

I agree with the other person, cop on !

When you leave school and your boss tells you not to do something are you going to do it anyways?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Grow up!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

In theory, you could make a complaint to the Equality Tribunal. You'd probably be better off talking to the Principal first. Is there a student council? Is there a formal complaints procedure on the school website?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

eddhorse wrote: »
    Have you thought it's a school "rule" and not sexism?

I agree with the other person, cop on !

When you leave school and your boss tells you not to do something are you going to do it anyways?

I don't think you're reading the OP either. He's annoyed that he's being singled out because out his gender. Girls have dyed their hair red and haven't had a word said to them but he has. You're the one who needs to cop on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Had something happen in our school...

It was an all boys school and there were a number of us with long hair and facial hair(at least 10) school made a big fuss about our hair being too long, but the lads on the senor cup were ok to have very tight haircuts...

So we got a lot of people to sign a petition, think we got half the school and 2 teachers to sign it, that seemed to annoy them powers that be more, so started to threaten us with suspension(like that was going to work), just stood strong with our long hair and it eventually went away.

If its not hurting anyone tell them were to go, and if they suspend you for having different colour hair, you can quiet rightly compare them to any number of fascist dictators around the world(passed or present)...

Mostly its just principals in schools trying to make themselves feel big...

Well that's from my experience anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

I think the most important thing to take out of this thread is WHY THE FOOK would anybody want to dye their hair red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

I doubt it'd be worth doing for the hassle it'd cause. Just wait til college and then you've got 4 years to do whatever you like and no one will give a **** there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I don't understand why young women these days decide to dye their hair red and definitely doesn't make you look "better". The only women that can pull it off are natural red heads :)

When you enter a job interview some managers will be turned off immediately if they saw your hair dyed red or some silly colour. I can se where your principal is coming from as he is trying to help you be more mature and have a little bit of common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ShatterResistant

Well this thread derailed very fast...

OP I think you should again calmly explain your viewpoint to the principal. Failing that, ask your parents if they would be willing to come into the school with you and ask the principal to explain to them why this situation is happening. It is one thing to fob off a student but a parent is a very different scenario. I think the principal will most likely craic down on students currently with the dyed (spelling?) hair if your parents go in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

I told you to cut those sideburns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭An Coilean

Alright, a couple of months ago(October, I believe), I decided I'd dye my hair red, while there is a rule in my school which says you can only have natural hair colours, I had seen many females with hair this colour, so I figured I'd do it anyway, immediately when I walked into school with this, my principal gave me a week to get it out or he'd send me home until I did, I brought up the females, he told me they'd all been told to take it out, so, the next week, I had my hair back to normal, I figured I'd wait a while to see if he was being honest. Now, in December, there's still a lot of girls with red hair, even a couple with pink highlights and I even saw one with blue hair(and she had it for a few weeks), I asked a couple of my female friends and they said he didn't tell them anything. I remember two of my friends who are males got told to get rid of their red hair.
    Anyway, I've decided for Christmas to dye my hair red again, If I go back to school and my principal forces me to dye my hair and I refuse, can I report him to the board of education for sexism? Or will I not get anywhere doing that?

If you are going to bring a serious allegation against someone it should be for a serious issue, being told not to dye your hair red is not a serious issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

An Coilean wrote: »
    If you are going to bring a serious allegation against someone it should be for a serious issue, being told not to dye your hair red is not a serious issue.

I think if an allegation is accurate it doesn't matter how serious it is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The school has its rules - you either agreed to adhere to them or you didn't.
    Move school if you have such an issue with it.
    Thread closed as it is nothing to do with LC.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement