Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick FC 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭Colemania

redron74 wrote: »
    I dunno. You guys were at a different match to the one I was at.
    There was plenty of passing football from both teams, with some long balls mixed in; both teams created plenty of chances; the game was played at a decent enough pace.
    Apart from the result, I thought we played very well overall.

Derry are a team challenging for the title; we are mi-table.
    The bulk of Derry's squad have been together and playing in the Premier Division for a few seasons, and competing at the top end of the table; we are just newly promoted from the First Division with a lot of new players in our squad.
    Our manager is new to the club.
    Derry's budget is probably bigger than ours.

Limerick were always the underdogs in a match like that, but we at least matched them (and for periods were better than them) up until they scored. Team shape was a bit ragged after that as we were pushing up more to try harder to find a goal.
    Remember we had a few penalty claims waved away by the ref, and the offside for Galbraith's goal must have been very tight as there were 6-7 Derry players back on the edge of their box at the time.

But how many shots on target did we have? I actually can't remember any. May have been an easy one from a corner or something but that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭TheBeast17

I think we were quite poor tbh.

Having the ball is all well and good but when you do nothing with it i dont count that as playing well. I didnt see many chances created by us at all either really. We had a lot of the ball early on as they started off fairly deep and they seemed tired so we were allowed have it in areas that were of no concern to them. As soon as they actually started pressing and got going in the game our passing went to crap really.

Manager is always talking about how the team is learning, what exactly are they learning because none of the mistakes that have been happening at the start of the season has been sorted. We are passing the ball too much instead of actually doing something with it we are tipping it sideways and backwards which is very easy to defend against.

I think its obvious what we need and when we get them in i think we will be a good side but too many poor performances recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

I thought Axel Boss had a good game Sunday - put in a lot of leg work and covered back a lot. We didn't play too badly but Taylor should have brought subs on earlier - we got tired and Derry reacted with the subs earlier and it showed, they were first to everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭luckyboy

Is Aaron Brown gone for good, or is he just injured?

luckyboy wrote: »
    Is Aaron Brown gone for good, or is he just injured?

Released a few weeks back.

• Advertisement

Looking like Jason Hughes and Carel Tiofack to be signed.

Jason has confirmed he will be signing tomorrow a good signing imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Both have signed. Best of luck to the two of them, hopefully they can bolster the midfield in the last few weeks of the season.

We could still do with a quality centre-back though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Two more possible signings on the way too. Today is transfer deadline so unless its done by today it's not happening so keep an eye out on www.limerickfc.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭redron74

Maire2009 wrote: »
    I thought Axel Boss had a good game Sunday - put in a lot of leg work and covered back a lot. We didn't play too badly but Taylor should have brought subs on earlier - we got tired and Derry reacted with the subs earlier and it showed, they were first to everything.

The only problem with Axel's performance was that he wasn't doing whatever he was supposed to be doing for large parts of the game, and the manager spent a lot of time trying to get him to do certain things and trying to get players around him to get him to do certain things.
    Given that I was watching from closer to the Limerick bench than I usually would (because of how the pitch was reconfigured), I actually found this quite distracting and it took my attention away from other aspects of the game that I would normally be watching.
    Axel was very good when we were attacking though, which is really what he is best at. But given the above, it was no surprise when he was subbed.

The lateness of substitutions in tight matches has been a bit of an issue. But I think as the squad matures this will be rectified.
    However, the lack of a reserve league doesn't help with the development of the young players.

Confirmed Tiofack and Hughes In

www.limerickfc.ie

• Advertisement

TheBeast17 wrote: »
    Released a few weeks back.

Do you know what happened?

Maire2009 wrote: »
    Do you know what happened?

Walked out after the St.Pats away game apparently. No loss to be honest. He had great height but was a poor enough player barr that. He never seems to last more than a few months at a club it seems.

Jofspring wrote: »
    Walked out after the St.Pats away game apparently. No loss to be honest. He had great height but was a poor enough player barr that. He never seems to last more than a few months at a club it seems.

Ah okay, thanks for filling that in. Hadn't seen him in the squads lately and wondered what happened, never heard he'd walked. Good riddance if that is his attitude.

The last Munster Derby of the season tonight. Only two points separate the sides with both looking nervously over their shoulders at the relegation spots below them.

Limerick FC vs Cork City, 7:45pm, Thomond Park.

Only a tenner in for terrace, you can't beat that for value.

2-0 up with about 15 to go.

Not there myself but from what I heard the opener was a cracker from Craig curran. He's been worth the entry fee to Thomond park alone in my opinion.

New centre back in the squad for the weekend - Cecil Nyoni. Only 20 but has started out with some decent enough clubs in Forest and Sheffield Wednesday.

http://www.limerickfc.ie/cecil-nyoni-signs

Two more signed pending work permits and it looks a decent link up could be on its way with the Right to Dream Foundation in Ghana.

http://www.limerickfc.ie/limerick-fc-signings
    Right to Dream has now worked with over 100 children and our graduates have followed two main pathways after leaving the Academy: 35 graduates have been awarded full scholarships to leading universities, private boarding schools and colleges in the US and the UK; 15 graduates have signed professional contracts for international football clubs, 6 representing the Ghanaian National Football Team – the Black Stars. All RtD graduates have a belief and desire to help others achieve their dreams.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Wilbert13

Anybody hear anything about a Man City/Limerick partnership? Just spotted this comment on Football365:

"My local Limerick City FC have announced a new partnership with Manchester City that will allow them gain access to the Premier League club's West African academy and bring in players with ambitions of progressing in Europe. Lovely."

Assume this is the Right to Dream thing mentioned above?

Wilbert13 wrote: »
    Anybody hear anything about a Man City/Limerick partnership? Just spotted this comment on Football365:

"My local Limerick City FC have announced a new partnership with Manchester City that will allow them gain access to the Premier League club's West African academy and bring in players with ambitions of progressing in Europe. Lovely."

Assume this is the Right to Dream thing mentioned above?

Ya that person is confused. It's the right to dream foundation. Man City has used the academy for players alright but it's not man city's academy in west Africa.

They are their own academy and take part the last number of years in the Manchester United premier cup. Basically it's a cup for all the best under 15 academy's around.

Man city and limerick have kept in contact since the match last season and limerick were told to come over and watch the right to dream academy in action as their under 19's were playing some friendlies in England. They were very impressed and it looks like an avenue they will go down in the future. Man city took 4 players and limerick fc two.

http://www.limerickpost.ie/2013/08/06/limerick-fc-links-with-academy-in-ghana/

http://academy.righttodream.com/

Ya that person is confused. It's the right to dream foundation. Man City has used the academy for players alright but it's not man city's academy in west Africa.

They are their own academy and take part the last number of years in the Manchester United premier cup. Basically it's a cup for all the best under 15 academy's around.

Man city and limerick have kept in contact since the match last season and limerick were told to come over and watch the right to dream academy in action as their under 19's were playing some friendlies in England. They were very impressed and it looks like an avenue they will go down in the future. Man city took 4 players and limerick fc two.

http://www.limerickpost.ie/2013/08/06/limerick-fc-links-with-academy-in-ghana/

http://academy.righttodream.com/

City have first pick on all of their players. The Right to Dream crowd go to City and City people go out to them regularly so they can take players.

A few players doing well in the Scandinavian leagues after coming through over there including one of the top scorers in the Swedish league David Accam. Great thing to have could get some very very good players through this link up.

• Advertisement

TheBeast17 wrote: »
    City have first pick on all of their players. The Right to Dream crowd go to City and City people go out to them regularly so they can take players.

A few players doing well in the Scandinavian leagues after coming through over there including one of the top scorers in the Swedish league David Accam. Great thing to have could get some very very good players through this link up.

It's fantastic for us to have. A lot of people seem to think though that it is Man City's African academy when they are actually in themselves their own stand alone academy. Man City may have first pick like what Man United have/had with Sporting Lisbon but they are still their own academy.

It's fantastic for us to have. A lot of people seem to think though that it is Man City's African academy when they are actually in themselves their own stand alone academy. Man City may have first pick like what Man United have/had with Sporting Lisbon but they are still their own academy.

I was told that it is as good as Citys but that they are registered as their own club for certain reasons. It was described in a conversation i heard as "Basically Man Citys academy in West Africa".

To be perfectly honest though i couldn't care less if they belong to City or anyone else or are their own thing as long as we have the link with them. Was told that we are expected to pick up one or two from there each season.

Hopefully if things go well with these lads and they like the club and all City may be able to help us out with link ups with these kinda places in other parts of the world too. Massive step forward though.

Also Nyoni was tipped to have a big future before i know that when he went to Sheff Wednesday from Forest that Leeds and one or two more were in the championship were interested too. Pity things didnt work out for him there but hopefully he can do well enough here for us that he gets himself another shot over there. He was over at the start of the season too i believe but we didnt have any money left in the budget to sign him.

Definitely a huge step forward for the club. I saw John O Sullivan saying that Man City's involvement was only for the tip off to come over and see them play and ended after that. It just shows though how beneficial one friendly was for the club.

I think pushing on for a European place for next season will be a massive advantage to bringing in the better lads down the line. Looking at their website it seems like a great academy to have some link to.

In the league of Ireland it seems that everyone dips into the same pool of players every year often offering over inflated wages to the same group year after year when with the right connections value for money can be found abroad as well as at home. Craig Curran has been a massive signing for us and I can guarantee you there is a few lads playing in Ireland on similar or higher wages.

Definitely a huge step forward for the club. I saw John O Sullivan saying that Man City's involvement was only for the tip off to come over and see them play and ended after that. It just shows though how beneficial one friendly was for the club.

I think pushing on for a European place for next season will be a massive advantage to bringing in the better lads down the line. Looking at their website it seems like a great academy to have some link to.

In the league of Ireland it seems that everyone dips into the same pool of players every year often offering over inflated wages to the same group year after year when with the right connections value for money can be found abroad as well as at home. Craig Curran has been a massive signing for us and I can guarantee you there is a few lads playing in Ireland on similar or higher wages.

Was told that it is actually cheaper to bring lads in from lower leagues in UK then it is to get the better ones in Ireland. Id much rather get the likes of Nzuzi,Curran, Folan etc then pay big wages for the usual LOI old heads. Its been shown a few times too when Dubs come down to places like Limerick to play they dont always put in as much work as they should where as these young lads coming from or coming back from the UK have a point to prove.

I think even having people like Robbie Williams around is excellent the experience he has at some good clubs can be a huge help for young lads we have in and around the first team and he is supposedly very good with young lads.

I hope Malky Thomson stays on next year too as he seems to have loads of contacts all over the place.

I'd say we'll will be keeping the core of the coaching staff and of the players too which will stand to us in the long run. A good few players are either on two year deals since they signed or have got extensions to the end of 2014 which is excellent. We have a Congo under 23 international, Irish under 19 international, two players with senior international caps, a former Irish under 19 captain and a rake of lads have been called up to the under age international teams ie 15's' 16's.

Our under 19's are all actually only between the ages of 16-18 so they have 3 seasons at top level under 19's before they progress to full league of Ireland which will stand to them.

We seem to be looking to the future rather than gambling too much on the present but it seems the limerick public don't have the patience for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭Our Brian

Same old story again tonight , we seem to be getting worse week after week. Getting sucked into a relegation battle now, i have no faith in Taylor whatsoever after watching that rubbish tonight.

Our Brian wrote: »
    Same old story again tonight , we seem to be getting worse week after week. Getting sucked into a relegation battle now, i have no faith in Taylor whatsoever after watching that rubbish tonight.

Getting a bit worried myself now... a lot worried. We started so well albeit a lot of draws but the goals we were shipping at the start was never addressed and now we are beginning to suffer with bad losses.

Ya he made the excuse that the defence is young hence a lot of mistakes. We were making the same mistakes with Robbie Williams and Calla there so that excuse doesn't fly.

Some very poor performances recently and a good win against cork stands for nothing now.

We are facing into the toughest set of fixtures for the rest of the season.

Dundalk, St.Pats and Shamrock Rovers are all coming up.

Ya he made the excuse that the defence is young hence a lot of mistakes. We were making the same mistakes with Robbie Williams and Calla there so that excuse doesn't fly.

Some very poor performances recently and a good win against cork stands for nothing now.

We are facing into the toughest set of fixtures for the rest of the season.

Dundalk, St.Pats and Shamrock Rovers are all coming up.

I'm happy with how Taylor has us playing the ball more on the ground but that counts for little when we are terrible at the back - only for Ryan it could have been worse without his reflex saves - and not exactly chomping at the bit to have a crack at goal up front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Our Brian wrote: »
    The season seems to be in rapid decline after a steady start. As someone who is obviously attending the games what is going wrong?

I think at the start of the season consolidating our place in the top flight was the aim but after a steady start it seems to have gone badly wrong.

Advertisement