Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick FC 2013

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Aidric wrote: »
    The season seems to be in rapid decline after a steady start. As someone who is obviously attending the games what is going wrong?

I think at the start of the season consolidating our place in the top flight was the aim but after a steady start it seems to have gone badly wrong.

We can't defend...

We'll have a look at the side who played last night

Barry Ryan - Great game, maybe could have done better for the third. Has been our best player all season

Shaun Kelly - Great going forward, solid in defence, got himself sent off for being stupid. Very solid play this season despite having one of two games where he was poor

Shane Costello - Young full back who impressed me last night, still very rough and prone to an error, but nothing like our centre halfs

Stephan Folan - He most think his the next coming of Beckenbauer, he tried to play football all too often and I don't mind that in one of two situations (A) Your A World Class Footballer whose technically gifted (B) Your time and space...He takes off on runs with the ball upto the half way line and huffs it long to nobody, he also gets caught in possession to often and loses the ball, even his passing at the back is horrid

Pat Nzuzi - His not a centre half, but at times his done very well despite a very shakey start. Plays a little too much at the back at times but not as bad a Folan

Joe Gamble - One of our best players, who admittedly had a poor game last night. His the man who provided our defence the protection, without him we'd be fraked. Although at times his our most advance midfielder which is shocking when you consider his goal scoring record and even his shooting technique.

Stephan Bradley - Been truely awful this year, had one of two very good games, Dundalk and Another...Its hard to believe he was in the premier team of the year two years ago

Dave O'Leary - Scored a winner against Boh's, but thats about all his done all year...He pulls out of challenges, he stops tracking his man and at times just doesn't seem to care, his been found out at this level and all that talk of his move to England it will never happen unless he gets the finger out and visit's the wizard for some courage...

Axel Boss - Topped scorer and at times looks good...Now very few times...His offside about 6/7 times a game, he makes the wrong runs and picks up the wrong pass more often than he picks the correct one. Runs down blind alloys...

Danny Galbraith - Technically miles ahead of everybody else, picks up good positions at times doesn't get enough of the ball IMO, at times he goes down way too easy...At times his in miles of space and nobody else seems to get their heads up(now i will admit in most cases switching to him isn't the answer, but try it a bit more)

Craig Curren - Work horse and a player if he had a partner would be a complete animal for us, he works his socks off and is a real talent and has over come his mid season slump...

Now for our tactics, at time we have our 3 attackers in the same space...thus making it very congested. We don't seem to have a proper system we play, we huff it long after playing it along the back line, where we get caught after holding the ball to long of after a poor pass...Also Gamble being our most attacking midfielder doesn't work but its not been changed yet...

Taylors tactics need to be looked at, we need a man closer to curren up top...

We were truely awful last night, and our penalty was never a penalty, it was a free out if anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Heard that Cecil Nyoni didn't get international clearance and hence won't be joining the club.

Very disappointing if true. We could have done with reinforcements at the back. He was meant to be pretty decent as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

I must disagree with your take on Galbraith and Folan. Folan doesn't try play football he tries lump the ball up to curran and as for Galbraith imo he needs a kick up the arse by Taylor, far too often he's just static on the right wing with his arms flapping and then has a little strop when the ball isn't played to him.

I'd like to see the players move more as a unit up the field rather than the ball being played out to the CB who then waits for the 2 full abcks to get wide before lumping the ball up the curran so he can win the nod down for nobody.

I'd like to see mopre rainsford playing off curran and a little less axel playing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Ya it's on the official site that international clearance couldn't be got because of when he signed his last contract in the UK. Very disappointing.

Iang87 wrote: »
    I must disagree with your take on Galbraith and Folan. Folan doesn't try play football he tries lump the ball up to curran and as for Galbraith imo he needs a kick up the arse by Taylor, far too often he's just static on the right wing with his arms flapping and then has a little strop when the ball isn't played to him.

I'd like to see the players move more as a unit up the field rather than the ball being played out to the CB who then waits for the 2 full abcks to get wide before lumping the ball up the curran so he can win the nod down for nobody.

I'd like to see mopre rainsford playing off curran and a little less axel playing

Folan got caught in possession twice against UCD alone while he was trying to be a footballer deep in his own half, most of his long "passing" occurs in the middle third of the field which is the area around the half way line...

Danny is frustrating to watch but he rarely gets enough support IMHO, do agree that Axel should play less but Rainsford isn't the answer, feel he looks like a lost dog at times this season...

James McGrath needs to be given a run in the team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭homingbird

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭wonder88

3-1 down now, not too good. At least Bradley is just a sub, clear that he has no interest in playing for Limerick anymore and it would be best to offload someone like that. He was one of those who acted up at St Pats a few years ago, that club managed to get rid of all them folks and they seem to be doing ok now.

5-3 Fulltime.

8 goals, 6 Yellow Cards, 1 Red and a penalty thrown in. Sounds like a thriller above. Costello seems to have come off with a serious injury, hopefully a quick recovery for the young lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭Our Brian

Yet another big loss, Taylor still not learning from mistakes. First division here we come.:(

It was the cup not the league so no points dropped.

We are still struggling at the back but in fairness we were missing Tracy (out for rest of season), Curran (Arguably our best player) and Nzuzi (has impressed the few games he has played recently). Two experienced centre backs are also out injured. Throw into that an 18 year old right back playing at left back who then ends up going off injured and is replaced by a 17 year old in his first competitive game for the club. We were up against one of the teams fighting for the league also. Our chances of a win up there were slim and we still managed to bag 3 goals up there.

From reading the reports it was a fairly open game that was end to end from start to finish so loads of goals were inevitable.

Most likely going to be a clear out when the season ends. We will stay up and have 4 months to build for next season with a good core to work with and a years premier experience for a lot of young players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I was up in Dundalk.... it was nice to get 3 goals, and if Gaffney had got his hat-trick and hadn't handled it, I think we would have come back, Dundalk were looking shaky.

But overall.....we weren't great really. They walked through our midfield and defensively, we looked very shaky, Robbie Williams was very poor. Buttimer had an awful game aswell, definitely didn't think the penalty was a penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭redron74

Fireball07 wrote: »
    ...definitely didn't think the penalty was a penalty.

And what about Gaffney's first yellow? I couldn't see anything wrong with the challenge!

Anyway, at least we scored a few and created a few more chances.
    Attacking-wise, an improvement over last week, and particularly the week before.

redron74 wrote: »
    And what about Gaffney's first yellow? I couldn't see anything wrong with the challenge!

Anyway, at least we scored a few and created a few more chances.
    Attacking-wise, an improvement over last week, and particularly the week before.

Seem to remember thinking it was a bit of a nothing challenge. I wouldn't say we lost because of the ref but he wasn't good.

I've been of the opinion for a while that Galbraith should play through the middle...we already carry the likes of Bradley, and sometimes Gamble for most of the match. Most of Galbraith's best work is done through the middle, picking the ball up in a bit of space, running at defenders and slipping passes through (like his assist for Gaffney against Dundalk, lovely pass). While someone like Rainsford is better on the wing, with his pace and powerful running... his assist against Sligo away was class, and even the last day wasn't really in the game but made one great run when he built up a head of steam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Any murmurings for when Limerick -v- Shels will be rescheduled for? It's down as Sat the 19th October, but Munster play in Thomond that evening and it's live on Sky.

Any murmurings for when Limerick -v- Shels will be rescheduled for? It's down as Sat the 19th October, but Munster play in Thomond that evening and it's live on Sky.

I would think it will be moved to the following Tuesday night. That seems to be what has been done this season so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Jofspring wrote: »
    I would think it will be moved to the following Tuesday night. That seems to be what has been done this season so far.

The Friday no? Hoping it's the Tuesday tbh!

No they don't seem to have had any matches on near a Munster game or at least within a day.

We have had quiet a few Tuesday games so far this season.

Very enjoyable game tonight, one of the best performances I've seen in a while.

We were the better team in the first half, could have scored, in the second half we faded a bit but looked dangerous on the break from time to time.

Barry Ryan- strong as always. Oji looks to be an excellent signing, deserved man of the match, looks to be the defender we needed. Williams was pretty decent. Gamble had one of his best performances for a while and I thought Gaffney was very good.

Oji had a great chance to score, Curran diving header, O'Leary free at the far post, Gaffney on the break with Curran.... probably should have taken one of them. Curran had one when Gaffney played the ball across and it was just taken off his toe by a brilliant tackle.

Pats grew into the game but we did our best to repel them...got a bit lucky too. Kavanagh missed a clear 1 on 1, should have scored. I think it was Curran who took another off the line brilliantly with Ryan blocking the follow up, no idea how they didn't score. And then they hit the post at the end. I think a draw was a fair result though.

Ref was poor.....seemed to ignore any pushes in the back when challenging for headers, on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I think it was Curran who took another off the line brilliantly with Ryan blocking the follow up, no idea how they didn't score.

It was Nzuzi (I think). Best 0-0 I've seen in a while to be fair.

An excellent match, how it finished 0-0 I'll never know. Limerick were very impressive in the 1st half and, while Pat's dominated the 2nd, our defence held together a lot better than in recent games. Oji seems to be a real find. Thought we had lost it when that chance fell to Byrne in stoppage time though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Work underway at the Markets Field (Limerick Leader) :)

2799140396.jpg

The Friday no? Hoping it's the Tuesday tbh!

It's down for the Wednesday.

http://www.limerickfc.ie/fixtures-update-outstanding-home-games-rescheduled

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

2-0 up against Shamrock Rovers at the minute :D

2-0 FT with local lad Jason Hughes picking up a goal and man of the match.

933 in attendance which was a pity as it was a good game and Limerick really put everything into it.

The last two games we have been like a new team and a lot of that comes down to the signing of Sam Oji. He has really shored us up and the back and helped the likes of Williams to play in their natural positions.

Jofspring wrote: »
    2-0 FT with local lad Jason Hughes picking up a goal and man of the match.

933 in attendance which was a pity as it was a good game and Limerick really put everything into it.

The last two games we have been like a new team and a lot of that comes down to the signing of Sam Oji. He has really shored us up and the back and helped the likes of Williams to play in their natural positions.

2 games in a row where we were very good and tonight much better than Rovers who on paper have a seriously strong side and we were fairly even with Pats who will win the league this year...All hail Big Sam Oji

Great performance tonight, we played really well, and were definitely the better side.

Rovers had their chances but were fairly woeful really, how many times did McGuinness knock the ball out of play? They couldn't control the ball in the box, hit some awful wides and Zayed/Quigley/Sheppard were all anonymous.

Limerick could have scored way more, they couldn't cope with Gaffney's throw-ins, complete panic every time. Couple of crosses and shots could have gone in too, and Axel definitely should have had a penalty in the last minute.

Gaffney's goal..... what a strike! Absolutely beautiful. He was by far our best player tonight, I know Hughes is a local lad, but Gaffney was way better than him, some beautiful touches, created havoc with the throw-ins, won a load of flick-ons, worked really hard and capped it off with a fantastic goal.

Oji was great too, looks to be a superb signing, really solid defender. O'Leary was very busy, unlucky not to score early on, Nzuzi was good, as was Williams. Very good performance... if we played like that all season, we'd be much higher in the table... hopefully it continues into 2014!

Quite possibly the best night of the season so far. Probably the first time this season I thought every one of the Limerick players had at least a 7 out of 10 performance. Rovers were very sloppy and gave up after the 2nd goal but the Super Blues were magnificent from 1 to 11.

As for Gaffney's goal...I'm sure Messi et al wouldn't mind hitting one as sweet as that!! :D

Quite possibly the best night of the season so far.

Best performance of the season I'd give you but the late winner against Bohs and, most of all, coming from 2-0 to beat Dundalk were definitely better night for me personally. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

Shane Tracy and hoben won the competition for the front of the FIFA cover

• Advertisement

Harpy wrote: »
    Shane Tracy and hoben won the competition for the front of the FIFA cover

Hurrah!

Advertisement