Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick FC 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Jofspring

More pics of markets field development up on www.ledp.ie

Drainage has gone in now.

Dundalk 1-2 Limerick FT

Gaffney with another two goals.

I'd urge as many to get out Monday night against Bohs and support the team in the run in to the end of the season. They've certainly done enough to deserve more support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Great result and great vein of form at the moment, that new centre half has really settled our defence, I see some yokel in the Soccer forum is calling us "awful cynical" for time wasting and feigning injury tonight...I have to say as sad as it is for football in general I'm delighted to hear that, there were a lot of teams doing the exact same thing to us all season...I find the dublin teams are particularly tuned into this method of closing out a game, just an observation...

It's not just the results that have been impressive, the performances have been top drawer, the squad fears no one on a good day, that UCD match seems a long time ago now thank god...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Closing games out is an important part of the game these days, every team when winning against us this season have played the time wasting game and feigning injury...except for UCD when they beat us 3-1 a few weeks back...reckon we'll get between 7-9 points from our last 4 games and finish ahead of Cork in sixth this season:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Super win tonight, didn't go to it, but an excellent 3 points. Pretty much kill Dundalk's chances of winning the league. Gaffney's been in a great run of form for a while now, and he's starting to get the goals his performances deserve, apparently another a brilliant volley tonight.

Hopefully there's a big crowd on Monday...although 3 games in 6 days is a bit much though, anyone know why it's not on Tuesday at least?

Bohs are in a good run of form too, beat Derry tonight, have got 10 from their last 15... won't be easy by any means, but if we play like we have over the last few games, we could definitely win. Anyone know where O'Leary was tonight? Injured? Oji looks to be a great signing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

What a week for Limerick - 3 massive wins. Excellent stuff.

Perhaps not as good or as convincing a victory/performance as Rovers/Dundalk (apparently) but were still the better team, and well-deserving of the win. Once they settled, played the ball around nicely and created chances.

Cusack is nowhere near as assured as Ryan, couple of dodgy moments. Oji rock solid again, amazing signing. Bradley was impressive, super ball in for the goal. O'Leary was excellent in the middle, Gamble grew into the game. Gaffney superb again, my man of the match once more. Some beautiful touches and really clever play.

Some people in the crowd getting on the team's back a bit early for passing it backwards and stuff... we weren't amazing but it basically encouraged them to hoof it which is stupid. When we went through the middle, and then stretched them out wide, looked dangerous.

Bohs left winger was very good, had Nzuzi under some pressure, didn't get much protection from Tiofack.

Poor ref, loads of stupid yellows, Mulcahy for Bohs kept leading with his elbow for every challenge, then Gamble was booked for the same thing. Also seems as if it's okay for a defender to push the striker in the back when jumping for the ball.

Great win though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Perhaps not as good or as convincing a victory/performance as Rovers/Dundalk (apparently) but were still the better team, and well-deserving of the win. Once they settled, played the ball around nicely and created chances.

Cusack is nowhere near as assured as Ryan, couple of dodgy moments. Oji rock solid again, amazing signing. Bradley was impressive, super ball in for the goal. O'Leary was excellent in the middle, Gamble grew into the game. Gaffney superb again, my man of the match once more. Some beautiful touches and really clever play.

Some people in the crowd getting on the team's back a bit early for passing it backwards and stuff... we weren't amazing but it basically encouraged them to hoof it which is stupid. When we went through the middle, and then stretched them out wide, looked dangerous.

Bohs left winger was very good, had Nzuzi under some pressure, didn't get much protection from Tiofack.

Poor ref, loads of stupid yellows, Mulcahy for Bohs kept leading with his elbow for every challenge, then Gamble was booked for the same thing. Also seems as if it's okay for a defender to push the striker in the back when jumping for the ball.

Great win though.

Might be coincidence but the arrival of Oji seems to have really settled us at the back. I've not got to a game since he came but I've heard such great things about him. Taylor seems to have pulled a rabbit out of the hat just when we needed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

Maire2009 wrote: »
    Might be coincidence but the arrival of Oji seems to have really settled us at the back. I've not got to a game since he came but I've heard such great things about him. Taylor seems to have pulled a rabbit out of the hat just when we needed it.

With Oji coming in it meant williams could go left back which is his position, he always seemed a bit unsure as cb.. Also noticed in the first game Oji played he was very vocal at the back organising them which was needed. Looking forward to the last three games..I think we're only 1 point behind cork now so it'd be nice if we could overtake them..

Harpy wrote: »
    With Oji coming in it meant williams could go left back which is his position, he always seemed a bit unsure as cb.. Also noticed in the first game Oji played he was very vocal at the back organising them which was needed. Looking forward to the last three games..I think we're only 1 point behind cork now so it'd be nice if we could overtake them..

It's very unlikely to happen, but if Derry continue losing, and lose their next two with us winning we'll be within 3 points of them going into the last game of the season against them, imagine finishing 5 in our first season up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

A super, super week for the Super Blues. Last night's game was far from a classic but again the defence was impressive and to keep going they way they did after a third game in 7 days was admirable. Great to see Williams getting a goal too!

Definitely going to finish in the top half now! :)

Maire2009 wrote: »

In all the home games since he signed, his impact has been noticeable...reads the game so well, really strong in the tackle and in the air. Always in the right place, generally uses the ball well. Heard he was good enough on his debut in Sligo too, and probably was against Dundalk aswell.

Harpy wrote: »

Williams was pretty shocking at centre-back...pity Calla is so injury-prone, I reckon he was our best centre-back before Oji signed.

Should pass Cork if we play like we did in the last week. Although Shels and Bray will both be fighting for their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 elz10

Hey Guys

I'm trying to get a general opinion on Limerick FC... what are people's opinions of the team, the grounds, management, the fans... anyone have any thoughts on match day itself?

Would love opinions from supporters and people with a general interest in soccer!

Thanks

elz10 wrote: »
    Hey Guys

I'm trying to get a general opinion on Limerick FC... what are people's opinions of the team, the grounds, management, the fans... anyone have any thoughts on match day itself?

Would love opinions from supporters and people with a general interest in soccer!

Thanks

What kind of stuff are you looking for?

I enjoy going to matches, wish they had kept up a slightly bigger attendance, think they could market it better..... but for me it is an enjoyable experience. Generally a decent atmosphere, bit of fun, although it's a lot nicer when they win.

I know a few people were turned off by the style of football and some of the poor performances earlier in the season..... but more recently, they've been playing some brilliant stuff, excellent to watch, and have been getting the results to match.

Ground- best in the league, no contest. Although maybe they'd be better off in a smaller ground, can feel a bit empty.

Management- Makes some strange decisions, but he's a very passionate guy (and so is Malky) but things seem to be coming together now. Hopefully they play like this for the whole of next season.

Fans- No real complaints.

Team- For the most part seem to be hard-working, committed and have a good bit of skill. Couple of players, who I won't name, can be very frustrating with their lack of effort/stupidity but performances as a whole have improved recently.

Couple of players, who I won't name, can be very frustrating with their lack of effort/stupidity but performances as a whole have improved recently.

Axel?

Axel?

No...I love Axel.

No...I love Axel.

Really...Since his been dropped we've looked better in conjunction with the arrival of Oji

Really...Since his been dropped we've looked better in conjunction with the arrival of Oji

I don't think that's a direct link... It's more to do with the superb performances of Gaffney... rather than Axel being poor. Tbh I'd take Axel over Tiofack, he works hard and has real pace, plus can get goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

Tbh I'd take Axel over Tiofack, he works hard and has real pace, plus can get goals.

Axel does work very hard and does brilliant things from time to time but he's staggeringly inconsistent and just as capable of the ridiculous as the sublime. The sitter he missed up in Dalymount is one of those things I will never be able to scrub from memory. His insistence on handling the ball at least once a game grates too.

I don't think that's a direct link... It's more to do with the superb performances of Gaffney... rather than Axel being poor. Tbh I'd take Axel over Tiofack, he works hard and has real pace, plus can get goals.

Axel doesn't work hard, his a headless chicken, picks the wrong ball and run 90% of the time, he runs around but his always in the wrong position so it looks like he works hard, he doesn't have a football brain nor the technical ability to make up for that short coming in my opinion.

I do agree that Tiofack looks rusty at times, but his just joined, I'd still have him because he seems to give the defenders a bit more protection than Axel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Last hoem game of the season tomorrow, Hopefully we can get a decent crowd out!

Axel doesn't work hard, his a headless chicken, picks the wrong ball and run 90% of the time, he runs around but his always in the wrong position so it looks like he works hard, he doesn't have a football brain nor the technical ability to make up for that short coming in my opinion.

I do agree that Tiofack looks rusty at times, but his just joined, I'd still have him because he seems to give the defenders a bit more protection than Axel

I'd disagree there...Tiofack offered absolutely no protection to Nzuzi the last day, it was 2 on 1 every time. And nothing much in attack.

Axel has a good goalscoring record, and closes down defenders, allows us to push higher up the pitch. I do find the regular handballs quite annoying, but he has serious pace and is a pretty good finisher. Plus is pretty good in the air considering.

Player of the year-Barry Ryan
    Young Player of the Year-Stephen Folan

Another decent win tonight considering most the team was either suspended or rested tonight and a few under 19's given a run.

Tony Whitehead only 17 and really looks like one for the future.

Jofspring wrote: »
    Another decent win tonight considering most the team was either suspended or rested tonight and a few under 19's given a run.

Tony Whitehead only 17 and really looks like one for the future.

Tony had a stormer and really deserved his man of the match too, but Barry was also on top form

Tony had a stormer and really deserved his man of the match too, but Barry was also on top form

Colm Murphy also very impressive at left back. Composed on the ball, got stuck in and made the right passes 90% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 MrBizzles

Great to end the last home game of the season on a high, would be nice to go up and beat Derry next Friday night and finish 6th in the table above Cork

Bring on the rugby season now lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭sleepyman

Great to see them finishing the season off on a high.What are their training facilities at Knockalisheen like?
    I remember reading they purchased some land there a few years back or do they currently not have the finance to develop it?
    Would be great if there was more of a link between the local clubs & Limerick.
    Do they have an academy or anything?
    I'd hope schoolboy football in Limerick is trying to play smaller numbered games on smaller pitches otherwise this country hasn't a hope of producing technical players in the future.
    Also I see the Markets Field pitch is being relaid.Any update on when construction can begin on the stadium itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

sleepyman wrote: »
    Great to see them finishing the season off on a high.What are their training facilities at Knockalisheen like?
    I remember reading they purchased some land there a few years back or do they currently not have the finance to develop it?
    Would be great if there was more of a link between the local clubs & Limerick.
    Do they have an academy or anything?
    I'd hope schoolboy football in Limerick is trying to play smaller numbered games on smaller pitches otherwise this country hasn't a hope of producing technical players in the future.
    Also I see the Markets Field pitch is being relaid.Any update on when construction can begin on the stadium itself?

They have never trained in Knockalisheen, have had an academy for years who are producing some of the best underage teams in Limerick at the moment and there is ongoing work on the pitch at the moment in the Markets Field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 jakelamotta

Soulcrew09 wrote: »
    They have never trained in Knockalisheen, have had an academy for years who are producing some of the best underage teams in Limerick at the moment and there is ongoing work on the pitch at the moment in the Markets Field.

Producing is probably a stretch considering the hot water they've been in lately for poaching players from other clubs but the work they do with 6 and 7 year olds is great.

Advertisement