Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick FC 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

Producing is probably a stretch considering the hot water they've been in lately for poaching players from other clubs but the work they do with 6 and 7 year olds is great.

Bit rich considering whats been going on in Limerick at all levels for decades now.
    Underage structure has been in place for years now so yes they are producing their own players and if kids and their parents think moving to Limerick FC is a better option for them who is anyone to complain?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 jakelamotta

Limerick FC is a relatively new schoolboy club and their entire 15s and 16s squads are taken from other clubs. Hardly the same as producing players now is it. As soon as the first young player from the initial group of Baby Blues - which are now around the u12 mark - makes it to u15 or u16 level or plays in a Kennedy Cup they can claim to be a club that produces top players. As of now there's nothing to prove otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

If LFC is seen as a better option then its time for the other clubs to up their game, you seem to be missing one vital fact though, a players development only stops when he retires, not when he reaches a certain age in his teens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Sad day for the club saying goodbye to a legend Pat Purcell:
    With a heavy heart I would like to officially announce my retirement from LOI football and Limerick FC. It’s never an easy decision to give up something you so dearly love, but I said it at the start of the year that this was always going to be my last season playing LOI. This was my 13th season in the league and my 10th season with Limerick FC; I am delighted with how far the club has developed in those 10 seasons. People would not believe some of the stories, or realise how different the club is now. Personally this season has been a forgettable nightmare, but most importantly the players and club has done brilliantly and should be very proud. Over the years, I’ve had the pleasure to play with and compete against some top top players, it’s something I have truly loved and I already know it’s something I will greatly miss. The effort and commitment has been huge, but I’d do it all again (and more) tomorrow. Maybe someday I will return to work with the club in some capacity.

I have met great people and some fantastic characters over the 13 seasons. There are plenty of people that I would like to thank, but the list is too long to thank them all. In saying that, I would like to mention and thank a few people. Pat O’Sullivan for all he has done with the club – people like him don’t come around very often. He is a true gentleman, a man of his word and the saviour of Limerick FC. Kieran Judge has been a great advocate for everything to do with Limerick FC. He has done an excellent job steering the ship in the right direction. I’d also like to mention is someone who never fully got the credit he deserved for getting the club to its current status; that is Pat Scully. Whilst Pat O’Sullivan, Kieran (and others) did everything right off the field, Pat brought the club to a completely new level of professionalism both on and off the field. I learned a lot from Pat and have huge respect for him and for his dedicated approach to the structures of the game. In addition, people like Michael O’Sullivan, Ralph McMahon and John Collins, they, in their different roles over the years, have been the essence of the club, they deserve so much respect for everything they have done and continue to do.

I would also like to thank and acknowledge my family who have supported me through everything over the years; in particular my Mam and Dad who have travelled the length and breadth of the country to support me.

Finally I would like to finish by saying a huge thank-you to all the fans & supporters, without you the club wouldn’t exist, it has been an absolute honour to play for you over the years, to get cheered and supported by each and every one of you. You are a credit to the jersey and to the club.

It’s been a great journey, Thank-you.

Paddy

Soulcrew09 wrote: »
    If LFC is seen as a better option then its time for the other clubs to up their game, you seem to be missing one vital fact though, a players development only stops when he retires, not when he reaches a certain age in his teens.

In that case shouldn't we wait until the baby blues have retired to start claiming that Limerick are producing top players?!

I do agree with you on that point though.

The u19s are a fine example of what coaching can do for a player as the majority of them have come through the emerging talent centres and have been coached by the current LFC u19s coaches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭wonder88

Are Limerick fans happy with the clubs final position in the table? was it what was expected, over/under achivement in first season back in top divison. The crowds were decent as well in my opinion, as for the few games I managed to get too down there the atmosphere was good. Limerick will be playing in Thomand again next year I take it.

Delighted with the final position, 6th still up for grabs also even though unlikely.

Most predicted between 7th-9th as a final position so we can't have any arguments. We had a very small squad this year with the bench made up of under 19's most games.

I was happy with the crowds but would have been nice to have a few more in the gate.

The atmosphere for me was decent, there was great craic in the terrace and although it was a small attendance most made the best of it.

Some good moments also this year,

3,500 at the cork game, scoring in the last minute to beat Bohs, beating Shamrock Rovers 2-0, coming back from 0-2 to beat Dundalk 3-2.

I was at the last minute win against Bohs (in seats above terrace) and the Limerick fans were in great mood leaving the stadium that night, for an outsider I thought the club could achieve a support base of around 2k. Having so many games in mid-week did not help I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

we could have been relegated after the comeback against bohs and i'd have told you it was a great season.

Absolutely delighted the way things went this year, i'd love if we could get out of thomond park for next season but that remains to be seen. Overall very happy just hope we can keep taylor and the core of the team and add a few new faces. Some of those u19s will be able to play more next year. Everything is looking great at the minute particularly when you compare the uncertainty of last January when with only a few weeks before the season we had no manager and a lot of our players had not signed back with us.

Watching some of the Barry Ryan saves this season was worth the entrance fee alone at times, super double save in the last minutes at dalymount springs to mind. That win was massive at the time too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Confirmed to play in Thomond next year? Starting to head down this season as it's within 10 mins walk for me. Enjoyed the matches I went to and will keep going.

• Advertisement

They are supposed to be playing there again next season but due to the costs will be trying to get the markets field ASAP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I think it's been a decent season, could have been better, could have been worse, but from the outset, I think most would have taken 7th at the end. Plenty of encouraging signs for next season too.

If we tie the likes of Oji, Gaffney, Curran, Nzuzi up to new contracts, there's plenty to build on. Lots of good young players coming through and a really solid base. A really bad run stopped us from finishing higher, but towards the end of the season, really seemed to sort out a style of play and played some nice football.

Ryan easily player of the season imo, was fantastic. I suppose Folan is as good as any other candidate for YPotY.

Decent win on Wednesday considering a team made up of players missing would probably have beaten the team out there. Calla was excellent, pity he missed so much of the season, really helped Whitehead through. Murphy also looked good, as did Nzuzi in midfield. Ryan would have been my man of the match though, few top class saves.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

Fireball07 wrote: »
    If we tie the likes of Oji, Gaffney, Curran, Nzuzi up to new contracts, there's plenty to build on.

Curran already signed afaik? I expect the lads who have missed the last few games (Gamble, Galbraith, Bossekota) to be released.

Ya Curran signed a contract to keep him here till the end of the 2014 season.

Curran already signed afaik? I expect the lads who have missed the last few games (Gamble, Galbraith, Bossekota) to be released.

Galbraith under contract for next season also.

Going by twitter Axel is gone. Gamble rumored to be heading to Cork with Duggan going to opposite way but he also would be happy to stay with us from what I heard.

We are going to be linked to every player under the sun this off season.

Who are the players who have signed contracts for next season then?

Curran, Williams, Galbraith.....?

I don't know what to think about Gamble possibly leaving..... he's way too inconsistent for my liking, he has the talent but doesn't always produce. Midfield would seem to be the one area of trouble to me. I think we need someone with a bit of strength in there. I'd also like to see Galbraith played through the middle.

If Axel does go, definitely need another attacking player.

Curran, Galbraith, Williams and Folan are signed up.

Taylor has told the lads he wants to keep on to and the lads that are being let go. He has supposedly done it over the last few weeks.

I have heard Jason Hughes was told he did exactly what was asked of him and will probably get a contract.

How did Folan work out over the season, only saw him play once and looked handy enough in that game.

wonder88 wrote: »
    How did Folan work out over the season, only saw him play once and looked handy enough in that game.

You were grand Stephen, you had a good season ok?

wonder88 wrote: »

He did very well overall. A few shaky games but when he had a solid partnership with Oji he was like a new player. A lot of people forget how young he is. Hopefully next season we can see him really push on and be a top centre half.

• Advertisement

I'd still be surprised if Galbraith is with us next season, not sure why. I hope he is.

Joe Gamble is probably the most unappreciated player to have played for Limerick for years. He did a huge amount of donkey work very well and, generally, we were over-run in the middle anytime he was out and the rest, O'Leary/Bradley/Tracy/etc, generally hid from the responsibility of taking charge. Going forward Gamble never offered much but he was never going to.

I'm still not sold on Folan to be honest though he's looked much better of late alongside Oji. He could go either way yet but we're short at centre-half again and hopefully we'll have more options there next year.

An excellent first season back overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Charlie George

I think gamble is a class act and doesn't get the appreciation he deserves.any munster players playing with dublin clubs worth a punt?

I think gamble is a class act and doesn't get the appreciation he deserves.any munster players playing with dublin clubs worth a punt?

Billy Dennehy comes to mind (from Kerry, with Shamrock Rovers) immediately.

You have Billy Dennehy alright. Would be a decent signing with his league experience but he hasn't really been up to much over the last few years.

Kenny Browne (St.Pats) is from Waterford. We have tried to sign him in the past.

Then there is Shane Duggan (Cork) and Lee Lynch (Sligo) who are Limerick lads so would be great to see them coming here.

Ger Barron (UCD) is from limerick and was man of the match against us in Thomond park but has struggled to keep his place with UCD.

There is actually very few lads from the Munster region playing premier or playing with the top clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

I see on Twitter that Limerick FC are a goal down in Derry while Cork are winning 3 nill at half time so its looks like a big ask for Limerick FC to move up to 6th place in the LOI table...

Ya not a hope now. St.Pats don't seem too bothered. We have gone up with a very young team also.

Not a nice way to finish the season, a 6-0 hammering.

Still optimistic for next season though, really do think we can kick on.

There's at least 12 players heading out the door with the club so there will be big changes. We need a bit more quality in so hopefully that happens sooner rather than later.

The markets field has made decent progression with the pitch getting its final sanding before what looks like rolled out grass to be put in place meaning the pitch will be ready sooner than expected. The stand will need seats put in place and the dressings and bar refitted but it's most certainly doable by next march.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Heard Gamble has already signed back with CCFC .......

• Advertisement

Heard Gamble has already signed back with CCFC .......

Well agreed terms I'd say. His contract with us wouldn't have been up till after the Derry match.

Rumoured that we offered him a lesser wage which he didn't accept. Handier for him to play for Cork also with a business and his family there.

Advertisement