Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick FC 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

A midfield trio of Lynch-Duggan-AN OTHER would be good. Most likely Tracy, although I definitely prefer him as a left-back, think he's a bit of a passenger in the middle tbh. Game passes him by too much... I like him out wide, where he can whip in crosses.

Probably won't happen with Williams here anyway (even though I reckon Tracy is a better full-back than him). I also prefer Galbraith through the middle, although you'd probably want the other 2 to be strong defensively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Pitcure of the Markets Field today for anyone interested. Uploaded by another lad.

1460018_10151665753811459_396058600_n.jpg

You can see the grass that is being rolled out and also it gives a good idea of the size of area that will be available for development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

I'm not the only person who thinks, a few people(some of which are involved at the club) would agree with my statement re the tough side of the game, he pulls out of headers for fear he'll hurt himself...fact

Thats completely different to having your ankle nearly broken cos some clown cant time a tackle.

Does he pull out for fear he'll get hurt or is it because he is 5 foot nothing and wont win a header, I haven't taken much notice of him pulling out of headers etc so i'll have to take your word on it

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭TheBeast17

Iang87 wrote: »
    Thats completely different to having your ankle nearly broken cos some clown cant time a tackle.

Does he pull out for fear he'll get hurt or is it because he is 5 foot nothing and wont win a header, I haven't taken much notice of him pulling out of headers etc so i'll have to take your word on it

Your spot on with this imo. To call it the rougher side of the game is ridiculous just seen the pic of ankle again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

He pulls out of tackles too often, now I've not seen the picture, but the fact he rolled around like he'd been shot, and hitting ground screaming, was over the top when you consider he walked off the pitch 3 minutes later...

My opinion of dave as a player, great in the first division too soft for the premier

• Advertisement

He pulls out of tackles too often, now I've not seen the picture, but the fact he rolled around like he'd been shot, and hitting ground screaming, was over the top when you consider he walked off the pitch 3 minutes later...

My opinion of dave as a player, great in the first division too soft for the premier

I dont think being soft you cant call it an overreaction or being soft when his ankle was badly swollen and badly bruised for maybe 3 days afterwards.

Is it a tema of terry butchers going around the field you're after. These lads are footballers not fighters

The first division is far far tougher with worse tackles then the premier.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

Leaving aside the specifics of that one incident I would agree that O'Leary shies away from the physical side of the game in general. He's excellent technically and will always do well in a team that's doing well (like our First Division winners) but I feel like he sometimes hides in the center-circle when things aren't going his way and lets others (Joe Gamble traditionally for us the last year or two) do the hard graft. Bradley was sometimes guilty of the same thing.

Shaun Kelly has now re-signed for the club. Good news very solid and consistent.

TheBeast17 wrote: »
    Shaun Kelly has now re-signed for the club. Good news very solid and consistent.

Great news. Made my day.

• Advertisement

Leaving aside the specifics of that one incident I would agree that O'Leary shies away from the physical side of the game in general. He's excellent technically and will always do well in a team that's doing well (like our First Division winners) but I feel like he sometimes hides in the center-circle when things aren't going his way and lets others (Joe Gamble traditionally for us the last year or two) do the hard graft. Bradley was sometimes guilty of the same thing.

Ah ya thats a fair point the overreacting and rolling around etc was the part I didnt like and gamble did do a lot of the ball winning thats why he's crucial to replace with someone who does a similar job to that otherwise we could be in trouble next year if we picked up a few defensive injuries again.

Some pictures of the markets field pitch in place.

http://foot.ie/threads/43132-Stadium-updates-(all-clubs)?p=1720938#post1720938

Would be interested to hear peoples impressions of the new plans for the Markets Field that the LEDP have lodged.

They can be viewed here http://www.limerickcity.ie/ePlan/FileRefDetails.aspx?file_number=13141&LASiteID=0

or

attachment.php?attachmentid=1979&d=1384454228

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

Looks good.. 2700 capacity in total is it?
    How long would it realistically take to build if planning goes through with no objection, fingers crossed?
    Could we be in there at some stage next season?
    It'd be great to get a few games in there next season..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Harpy wrote: »
    Looks good.. 2700 capacity in total is it?
    How long would it realistically take to build if planning goes through with no objection, fingers crossed?
    Could we be in there at some stage next season?
    It'd be great to get a few games in there next season..

There are plans for objections from a number of different people for what I've heard...on the grounds that the proposed facilities are not good enough

There are plans for objections from a number of different people for what I've heard...on the grounds that the proposed facilities are not good enough

Id agree with those people, going by those plans the place will be a joke.

Not really that they are not good enough. The capacity is about right as a starting point but the way it is going to be set up looks ridiculous and a bit all over the place. When you are starting fresh it would be nice to see it done right first time around. The plans are very poor.

The stand behind the goals for away fans looks like it will be lost. A small random stand right behind the goals which going the plans is about the width of the 6 yard box. There was good potential to extend the current stand also but that now looks like it will just have a small stand attached to it.

The corner of terracing at the opposite goal to the one with a stand looks like it will be terrible also.

There is great potential there to have a smashing little ground but looking at the plans it seems there will be local GAA clubs with better grounds.

Turners Cross, The Showgrounds, Tallaght Stadium, Athlone Town Stadium, Deacy Park, City Calling Stadium will all be superior grounds in my opinion.

I just hope the plans are only phase one but it doesn't seem like that is the case at the moment.

Jofspring wrote: »
    Turners Cross, The Showgrounds, Tallaght Stadium, Athlone Town Stadium, Deacy Park, City Calling Stadium will all be superior grounds in my opinion.

Hardly the main point here but I think Athlone's ground is an over-rated craphole. One tidy little stand does not a fine facility make. It's falling to bits down behind one of the goals already and all that gravel... :eek:

Hardly the main point here but I think Athlone's ground is an over-rated craphole. One tidy little stand does not a fine facility make. It's falling to bits down behind one of the goals already and all that gravel... :eek:

Which makes it slightly more depressing that the Markets Fields plan will be worse then Athlones place.

As beast17 says it still looks like it will be a better ground than the markets field is planned for.

Will be interesting to see what is said Wednesday night when they are letting people come in and view the plans in St.Johns girls school.

• Advertisement

Jofspring wrote: »
    As beast17 says it still looks like it will be a better ground than the markets field is planned for.

Yeah I'm not convinced of that I have to say, think Athlone's set up is poor enough. I 100% agree with your overall point though and would probably rate a couple of other grounds ahead of our proposed one as well. It's a long way from what we were led to believe we had coming to us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

I see in todays Limerick Leader that Limerick FC have purchased the old secondary school out in Bruff, as a new training ground.
    Will this be for the senior squad only, and if so, why cant they train in the Marketfields (once its finished)?
    Will it also be for the Limerick FC Academy?
    My kids are with the Academy and I dont particularly fancy traipsing out to Bruff 3 times a week!

banjobongo wrote: »
    I see in todays Limerick Leader that Limerick FC have purchased the old secondary school out in Bruff, as a new training ground.
    Will this be for the senior squad only, and if so, why cant they train in the Marketfields (once its finished)?
    Will it also be for the Limerick FC Academy?
    My kids are with the Academy and I dont particularly fancy traipsing out to Bruff 3 times a week!

Where would they train at The Market's Field? On the main pitch? That'd be a dreadful idea to be honest. I presume (and I have no inside track) that only the seniors (and maybe the 19s, I don't know) would train in Bruff (where I was led to believe a few months ago that they'll also base their offices from now on) with the academy remaining where they are in town.

Add into that limerick have been told they only have use of the markets field for 20 games a season and no more.

From reading the article it looks more like a base for the academy with over night dorms available. A lot of teams around Europe have these kinds of academies set up.

I'm sure there will be more details on in it in due course ie what age levels, what hopes they have for the facility etc...

that would be enough surely though wouldnt it

quick look there we had 19 home games last season. so you're talking 16/17 for the league depending on the year and maybe a few home cup ties.

The assumption would be made that any high profile friendly would be moved to Thomond Park anyway to accomodate for crowds

that would be enough surely though wouldnt it

The 20 games is it?

It should be enough but if let's say they had a few good cup runs you could potential see us hit 20+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭varberg

From reading on forums people reckon this is an oppurtunity missed to get a football team in limerick with the best possible use made out of resources, instead there will be people scratching their heads at how things are done. The gaelic grounds is the same way, they messed the stand and facilities up when they were building it and it isnt nearly as good a matchgoer experience as thurles or cork or other stadiums are.

Is there room to build training facilities at d markets field? If done well with tidy 360 degree stands, modern facilities for supporters,press and corporates it could be a big hit on weekends in the city. Going to a game after work on friday evening would become something enjoyable to do, a good atmosphere, food, drink and tvs behind the stand, club shop etc...surely it could be done in this century so everyone wins.

Put in a big training facility, put in some offices, extra changing rooms and maybe a gym etc for players and open a stadium or football in limerick museum tour and bring kids and adults along to play interactive games, meet the players etc and all in the heart of the city and it could easily be the best loi set up in the country. The soccer league is treated the same as the gaa league only differance is the gaa has the championship, soccer fans are left with the option of flying to liverpool r manchester or glasgow to watch football with a good atmosphere and set up.

If training facilities are elsewhere, stands are freezing and the wind blows across the place with no atmosphere at games and away fans out in the rain and poor food, bar and toilet facilities it wont be long before they are strugling like most other soccer clubs in a country mad for a good football product on their doorstep. Those flying across the water to games weekly or to autumn internationals in rugby mightnt go so much.

Building new grounds is a great oppurtunity to do it right the first time around.

Markets Field could turn out to be a disaster for us. With no bar how will we generate revenue? Pat O Sullivan surely wont be helping the club out much longer at the minute he must surely be funding everything at the club as we don't even have a main sponsor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Missed out on Lee J Lynch too, signed for Pats. Thought he'd have been an excellent signing to accompany Duggan and possibly O'Leary in midfield.

And with Tracy and Ryan among those on the PFAI transfer list, you'd hope we wouldn't lose them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

TheBeast17 wrote: »
    Markets Field could turn out to be a disaster for us. With no bar how will we generate revenue? Pat O Sullivan surely wont be helping the club out much longer at the minute he must surely be funding everything at the club as we don't even have a main sponsor.

There sureltly will be a bar?

Advertisement