Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improving Factory CZ 452

Options
  • 20-12-2012 7:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭

I had the CZ up at the range today. Got it zeroed very quickly and started shooting groups. What amazed me was how accurate it was with the first 50 rounds down the barrel. I was using SK Standard Plus to start with and with one 5 round group I had 4 in one hole and 1 about 1/4" to the right at 50 yards.

At the end of the shooting I shot 5 round groups with Eley Match, RWS and Winchester Subs at 50 yards.

Eley Match

The round in the black circle is not part of this group.

IMAG0254.jpg

RWS

IMAG0255.jpg

Win Subs

IMAG0256.jpg

What I plan on doing over the weekend is fitting the Yo Dave trigger kit and sanding out the barrel channel to free float the barrel. It will be interesting to see if €20 and a little elbow grease improves these groups.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Good shooting there Dev. I found the Eley in the green bos and SK in the 500 x tin were the best out'a my CZ style and then the varmint.

The YoDave trigger kit is a must BUT if you can stretch to it get a Timney replacement. It does what the YoDave does to the standard but to the YoDave.
    Other mods I did to the CZ were, replaced the firing pin spring with a purpous made one, pillored bedded the action, fitted a picatinny rail, custom stock (Boyds do some nice replacement stocks).

Anyway I've just got another CZ 453 .22lr varmint so I'll have to start over again. ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭EP90

Found the YoDave a huge improvement to, but I’m curious as to the ‘ purpose made firing pin spring’. What advantage is it over a ‘standard one’ and where would I obtain it from. Assuming the spring will need replacing at some point maybe I should consider a ‘special’

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

EP90 wrote: »
    Found the YoDave a huge improvement to, but I’m curious as to the ‘ purpose made firing pin spring’. What advantage is it over a ‘standard one’ and where would I obtain it from. Assuming the spring will need replacing at some point maybe I should consider a ‘special’
    Hi EP90,its should quicken lock time and improve ignition with limited results with the cz having a sporter chamber .
    Regards ,Tomcat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭loveta

Hi guys have a cz452 american stock .17 bought it new in spring 08 put a quailty scope on it (schmidt&bender 8x56fixed) had a cz.22 before it was reasonably accurate with also have a pcp air rifle and am reasonably accurate with it also but the .17 cant get a handle on it at all, Any tips on what the hell iam doing wrong got to the stage that i am boder line hate n it :0(

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

www.kinneysshootingsupply.com sell upgrade parts for the cz rimfire rifles.
    They are cheap enough with postage as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭lb1981

Great Thread for one of the most popular guns in the country, im so sorry i sold my 452 American .22lr at the start of the year, deadly accurate gun.
    I only received my license for my Sako quad .17hmr this morning after 9 months of fun and games,plan was buy the .17 then buy the .22lr barrel then transfer the .22 license yep if it was only that easy in this country ,in the heel of the hunt had to sell the cz one of my biggest **** ups ever.
    Could not say a bad word about them and would recommend a Cz to anybody.
    Savage value.
    Thats nice shooting Dev.

zeissman wrote: »
    www.kinneysshootingsupply.com sell upgrade parts for the cz rimfire rifles.
    They are cheap enough with postage as well.
    Have used these too , great to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

I always heard people saying that doing the trigger and free floating the barrel makes the rifle more accurate. I decided to do a test and see just how much it will improve with good ammo.

Ever since I had traded my .22 against my .223 I missed it. Cheap shooting and great fun. I now see why everyone says they should have a .22 in the safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Scalachi

I had a CZ452 Style and just fitted the Yo Dave kit and it was a great gun, very accurate :)

I found that it preferred the RWS R50's over every other type of ammo I tested

Regards

DB

Mine used to love lapua subs, but you would have to buy them in bulk when the dealer got them in as they would sell out in a light

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

dev110 wrote: »
    I always heard people saying that doing the trigger and free floating the barrel makes the rifle more accurate. I decided to do a test and see just how much it will improve with good ammo.

Ever since I had traded my .22 against my .223 I missed it. Cheap shooting and great fun. I now see why everyone says they should have a .22 in the safe.

I put as many different types n makes of ammo through my CZ .22'. I found that the more expensive ammo didn't shoot any better. It must be that it's not a match chamber and I'd made to shoot all the ammo that's made

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

I only have the rifle two days so haven't had the chance to shoot that many different brands. The ones I have tried, Eley Match, RWS, SK Standard Plus, Winchester Subs & Winchester Power Point all shot well apart from the subs. They didn't shoot well in my other .22 either.

I think with the more expensive .22 ammo you are paying for consistency.

I will keep the thread updated as I go. Won't get to see the results until after xmas/new years though.

I can't wait to shoot in a few sporter br comps now.

clivej wrote: »
    I put as many different types n makes of ammo through my CZ .22'. I found that the more expensive ammo didn't shoot any better. It must be that it's not a match chamber and I'd made to shoot all the ammo that's made
    Hi clive ,the sporter chamber in the cz wont benefit much with match ammo .Its simply too sloppy a chamber .If you put a round in to a clean cz chamber you can feel the play/movement between the round and chamber . CZ do a supermatch .22lr rifle and is ment to have a tighter chamber than the standard sporter found in the hunting cz.Ive read where some had their cz .22lrs recut to a match chamber with great results .
    Regards ,Tomcat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

tomcat220t wrote: »
    the sporter chamber in the cz wont benefit much with match ammo

I found my own CZ DOES shoot MUCH better with Match Ammunition, as opposed to with my usual non-match fodder, particularly out at 100yards. Have put pretty much most readily available rounds through the CZ452 at this stage and the Match ammo wins hands-down.

Plinking and not-too-bothered at 50m: I use Eley Sport usually. When I'm a bit more serious or in a competition, I use CentreX in the CZ. Trust me, there is a difference! ;)

Probably nothing to with the chamber, just the match ammo is more consistent and manufactured to a higher standard and is better quality-controlled. Hence the price difference!! :(

Rarely used the CZ for benchrest comps, mainly coz I don't shoot BR, but for Sporter-type competitions, the boxes of CentreX come out of the cupboard.

Hi clive ,the sporter chamber in the cz wont benefit much with match ammo .Its simply too sloppy a chamber .If you put a round in to a clean cz chamber you can feel the play/movement between the round and chamber . CZ do a supermatch .22lr rifle and is ment to have a tighter chamber than the standard sporter found in the hunting cz.Ive read where some had their cz .22lrs recut to a match chamber with great results .
    Regards ,Tomcat.

I'm in mind to get the chamber on the CZ varmint re-cut to match dimensions. Any idea who can do this for me??

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Hi clive ,the sporter chamber in the cz wont benefit much with match ammo .Its simply too sloppy a chamber.
    dCorbus wrote: »
    I found my own CZ DOES shoot MUCH better with Match Ammunition

And this difference is the reason for the cheaper price of the CZ compared to more expensive more accurate guns. Some will be slightly better than others and some will respond well to match ammo and some won't. If you crank out lots of something the tolerances tend to go down so the variability in the product will go up. It means you'll have to put a little more effort into finding ammo it likes and accept that you'll get slightly larger groups than the more finely machined, more expensive alternatives.

Don't get me wrong, if I was in the market for such a rifle I would almost certainly buy a CZ. Their performance for their price is fantastic and they compare very favourably to their more expensive Anschütz cousins I've shot in DURC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

loveta wrote: »
    Hi guys have a cz452 american stock .17 bought it new in spring 08 put a quailty scope on it (schmidt&bender 8x56fixed) had a cz.22 before it was reasonably accurate with also have a pcp air rifle and am reasonably accurate with it also but the .17 cant get a handle on it at all, Any tips on what the hell iam doing wrong got to the stage that i am boder line hate n it :0(

I had a similar problem with my anschutz .17 hmr I found it needed to be cleaned pretty regularly (every 20-30 rounds) or it would be all over the place.

I found my own CZ DOES shoot MUCH better with Match Ammunition, as opposed to with my usual non-match fodder, particularly out at 100yards. Have put pretty much most readily available rounds through the CZ452 at this stage and the Match ammo wins hands-down.

Plinking and not-too-bothered at 50m: I use Eley Sport usually. When I'm a bit more serious or in a competition, I use CentreX in the CZ. Trust me, there is a difference! ;)

Probably nothing to with the chamber, just the match ammo is more consistent and manufactured to a higher standard and is better quality-controlled. Hence the price difference!! :(

Rarely used the CZ for benchrest comps, mainly coz I don't shoot BR, but for Sporter-type competitions, the boxes of CentreX come out of the cupboard.
    Hi Corbus, ive own 4 cz .22lr at one time or another and i found in each case they shot eley sport /sk standard/bean tin ammo ... budget match ammo just as good and in most cases better than the top end .. Eley Tenex ,Midas+, X-act ammo. The CZ sporter chamber just cant take advantage of the better match ammo ,imo.
    Centre X is very good but that would not be Lapua top match ammo ?
    Midas+ or X-act ?
    Dont get me wrong CZ make a great .22lr for the money and i would have one in my safe any day . What kind of accuracy are you getting at the sporter-type competitions ?
    Regards ,Tomcat .

I'm in mind to get the chamber on the CZ varmint re-cut to match dimensions. Any idea who can do this for me??
    Hi Clive ,
    any gunsmith should be able to re-cut your sporter chamber into a good match one :P.
    What type of match chamber had you in mind ?
    Regards ,Tomcat .

• Advertisement

Yep. The bean tin stuff is good in mine too.
    As are most of the others. You're correct: CentreX is not Lapuas top 22lr match ammo. But I wouldn't be bothered paying top dollar for Midas etc or Tenex to feed my CZ. As to what kind of accuracy: dunno, i suppose its best described as the sufficient kind! ;)

Yep. The bean tin stuff is good in mine too.
    As are most of the others. You're correct: CentreX is not Lapuas top 22lr match ammo. But I wouldn't be bothered paying top dollar for Midas etc or Tenex to feed my CZ. As to what kind of accuracy: dunno, i suppose its best described as the sufficient kind! ;)
    Hi Corbus ,reason i asked about accuracy was it dont shoot .22lr in matches . What exactly is sporter type competitions you use your CZ for ?
    Regards ,Tomcat.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

budget match ammo just as good and in most cases better than the top end .. Eley Tenex ,Midas+, X-act ammo.

I don't think there are many people buying Tenex, Midas+ or X-Act without batch testing first. Even in a good, dedicated target rifle you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between a random box of Match and a random box of Tenex.

Picking the right ammo for your gun is hard to do without the kind of rig the Intershoot guys built for Lapua to run a testing session and from what I can tell, most people don't shoot enough rounds to tell the difference between two decent selections of ammo.

In most cases, find ammo that appears to be good enough and then stop worrying about it. Odds are that you're introducing more errors than the ammo is. :)

Hi Corbus ,reason i asked about accuracy was it dont shoot .22lr in matches . What exactly is sporter type competitions you use your CZ for ?
    Regards ,Tomcat.

Ah you know the usual 22 sporter competitions held around the place at various ranges at 50 and 100 yards. Off the bipod. Not bench rested. Havent really had the CZ out for many competitions this passed year coz I've been at other stuff. But she's served me well enough in the past.

But IRLConor is correct - I can and do only expect a certain level of accuracy out of the CZ. If I want more accuracy out of a rifle, there's other tools in the workbox for those jobs! :) ....assuming I do my job, of course! :)

Hi Clive ,
    any gunsmith should be able to re-cut your sporter chamber into a good match one :P.
    What type of match chamber had you in mind ?
    Regards ,Tomcat .

No idea I'll have to chat with the gunsmith to out more first.

I'm thinking along the lines of picking one type/make of ammo and making sure the bullet engages the lands/rifling of the barrel.
    Is this the correct thinking????

I'm thinking along the lines of picking one type/make of ammo and making sure the bullet engages the lands/rifling of the barrel.

Feck it Clive, it's Christmas: go the whole hog and get yourself a bleiker! You just know you want to! ;)
    :)

Feck it Clive, it's Christmas: go the whole hog and get yourself a bleiker! You just know you want to! ;)
    :)

Now you know me by now. I have to start out small and just add to it.

Don't know what a Bleiker is have to look it up now

Best CZ .22lr forum I've found so far is

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18

Hi Clive, the idea is to have the lead waxed round leave the barrel in as good condition as possible !
    Having a well cut chamber will leave the lead bullet rotating immediately before it even leaves the case .So the first bit of forward movement on the lead round wound be a rotating action .This prevents the lead round from been stripped a little as it(jumps) engages the lands with a sporter chamber .It also insures the lead round is directed straight down the barrel .
    Regards ,Tomcat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

I see lilja make a drop in replacement barrel for the cz455 and the sako quad.
    www.riflebarrels.com
    Anyone here ever used one and if so did it improve accuracy ?

Advertisement