Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improving Factory CZ 452

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

I am just after free floating the barrel and installing the trigger kit. I had to take a nice bit out of the stock to free float the barrel and the Yo Dave kit has made a big improvement. I'll get out tomorrow to make sure the rifle is still zeroed and might try get a few bunnies.

Looking forward to when the range reopens and I will put the Eley Match, RWS, SK Standard Plus and Winchester subs through it.

I say by free floating the barrel the vertical in the first groups should be gone next time round.

I'll keep ye posted.

Got up to the range today but didn't get to shoot groups as I was late back from the 1000 yard line so I shot 2 BR targets. One with SK and the other with Eley Match.

SK scored a 216 with 4 X's:

IMAG0285.jpg

Eley match scored a 224 with 3 X's:

IMAG0284.jpg

I managed a nice group in one of the sighter targets:

IMAG0286.jpg

These were shot with a mag of 6.5X inline with International sporter rules.

I don't want this to turn to much to the target side but I am hooked on BR now and quickly realised how much the wind actually effects the bullet.

I hope to try the RWS next week and will then decide on what ammo I will feed her.
    I am also going to change the shim in the trigger. I used the second biggest as I was afraid in case it slammed fired or went off while hunting but after getting used to the trigger I can still feel the creep.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Good shootings scores there Dev. You will have to get into the 220's to keep up with the rest. But those scores are medal winning.

A couple of things to try out with your Style are

Remove the front so called 'action' screw & entruction (spelling?) and see if the groups change

Look at my tip in tips section on fixing the entruction to the barrel with a 6mm long 6mm grub screw. As that entruction screw is now in the barrel in a dovetail it allows the barrel to move a little between trigger pull and bullet exit

Use the smallest spring and biggest brass tube that you can in the trigger kit. Then throw it all away and fit a timney replacement trigger.

I saw your tip in the tips thread and it was the next thing on my list to do.

These were the first two cards that I have shot with the .22 so its a guideline for improvement. I want them scores to be the base line on anything I do from now on.
    Also the rifle only has 250 rounds down the barrel so hopefully it will tighten up more with the more rounds I get down it.

From the long range stuff I'm finding it a good tool for watching the flags and now all I have to do is get used to how much I have to hold off for certain pick ups/let offs.
    Shooting on 6.5X was weird as usually anything I do in the line of target shooting I usually turn the scope up to max. You are more so trying to quarter the target than anything.

I have a month or two before the first comp (I think) so hopefully will get things sorted out by then.

I have the trigger lightened and the biggest shim put in. Passes the bump test and a big improvement once again.

Also took out a little extra from the barrel channel as when on a bipod the business card got a little bit tight at the very front of the stock. Now card flies up and down with no resistance.

Jobs still to do:
    • Get grub screw to tighten down barrel entruction
    • Play with torque settings
    • Install striker spring when it arrives

Total cost of improvements to date: €20 + elbow grease

• Advertisement

dev110 wrote: »
    I have the trigger lightened and the biggest shim put in. Passes the bump test and a big improvement once again.

Also took out a little extra from the barrel channel as when on a bipod the business card got a little bit tight at the very front of the stock. Now card flies up and down with no resistance.

Jobs still to do:
    • Get grub screw to tighten down barrel entruction
    • Play with torque settings
    • Install striker spring when it arrives

Total cost of improvements to date: €20 + elbow grease

I forgot to add
    If when tightening up the front action/entruction screw it pulls up the stock/down the barrel, try placing a small washer between the entruction and the stock to take any free space out of the equation

Any sign of your .22 yet Clive?

Not yet

Playing with torque settings:

IMAG0289.jpg
    IMAG0290.jpg
    IMAG0291.jpg
    IMAG0292.jpg
    IMAG0293.jpg

I only measured the vertical as that is what I am trying to keep to a minimum. Any windage will be up to me to aim off for.

I set the action screws at 15 In-lbs and fired at two cards:

IMAG0296.jpg

Managed a 215-1X here. Not great tbh.

For the second card I changed my technique and managed a 229-5X

IMAG0295.jpg

Total from both cards is 444-6X. This was shot with SK Rifle Standard Plus. I hope to add on a few extra points when I move to Eley Match/RWS R50

Good shooting there Dev.

Try removing the front entruction screw & entruction and see does that do anything, use just the action screw.
    I think the best I got was 226 with the CZ Style.

Remember that in an IS comp. you can only use the scope at 6.5 power it makes it far more difficult to aim.

Next is to try some eley tenex. Allow at least 20 rounds between changing ammo before you see any difference.

• Advertisement

I want to break the 230 mark fairly soon. I was close today and only needed 1 more point :(

I think I have the rifle set up as much as I can so now its down to my technique. I changed things around today and shot better so want to get up next week to work on more things.

Bring on the comps :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Just to clarify something lads, I was thinking of trying IS Benchrest this year, just for the craic, I know my scope must dial down to 6.5, Is there anything else? Im going to be using a 10/22

cw67irl wrote: »
    Just to clarify something lads, I was thinking of trying IS Benchrest this year, just for the craic, I know my scope must dial down to 6.5, Is there anything else? Im going to be using a 10/22

The total weight of your rifle must NOT be greater than 8.5lb all up. That includes attachments like the bi-pod and scope. Must be able to magazine feed at least 2 rounds.

Full regulations here
    http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxuYm5hc3JwY3xneDo5NDU3YTMyOTQxOTNmYTg

IS extraction

International Sporter - is any Sporter having a manually and mechanically operated
    firing mechanism, max weight not more than 8.5 pounds (3.855 Kg) inclusive of
    scope (and bi-pod if used). Rifle must have a working safety. The action must be a
    repeater action and hold minimum of two rounds in a removable clip/magazine
    except for tubular fed rifles; the clip/magazine must be capable of feeding two or
    more rounds into the chamber and must be installed in the clip/magazine housing
    when competing and when rifle is weighed.
    Barrel weights, harmonic tuners or bullet stabilisers, barrel attachments (vibration devices) are NOT permitted.
    Any scope may be used with max magnification of 6.5X, scopes with more power will have to be
    taped in position by a referee for duration of match.
    The barrel/ action can be bedded and have the trigger reworked (or replaced). Rifle barrel cannot be fluted.
    Barrel must be made out of one piece of metal with no attachments except for the
    action and a nut to secure the barrel to the action. Factory stock or stocks that meet
    "Stock Clarification‟ rules may be used. Return to battery shall NOT be permitted. No
    electronic assisted triggers allowed

Do you have to feed from a magazine during the competition or can you single feed and leave the mag empty?

dev110 wrote: »
    Do you have to feed from a magazine during the competition or can you single feed and leave the mag empty?

That I don't know but will find out.
    And that's why I'm looking for the single shot adapter to use instead of a mag to single feed with. YoDave has them at $22.

It may be a rule that the rifle must have the ability to feed from a mag to be classed as a sporting rifle as against the benchrest rifles that only have the single feed option action.

Thanks clive, So my 10/22 in a Boyds evo stock with a 12inch VQ carbon fibre barrel is ok once I have the scope taped down, Thats great thanks! I have a compensator on the end of the barrel would that matter?

cw67irl wrote: »
    Thanks clive, So my 10/22 in a Boyds evo stock with a 12inch VQ carbon fibre barrel is ok once I have the scope taped down, Thats great thanks! I have a compensator on the end of the barrel would that matter?

I now stand corrected see post below this one

Sorry to disappoint you but no I don't think semi-auto rifles are allowed. As the rules above state 'Return to battery shall NOT be permitted' and that rules out the SA as I see it. :( Reason is you can't have ejecting empty cases hitting the guy beside you.
    But then local club rules may overrule the NASRPC rules and allow them to be used. :):)

And I'm not sure if the compensator comes under the 'Barrel weights, harmonic tuners or bullet stabilisers, barrel attachments (vibration devices) are NOT permitted' rule.

I'm not the expert on this maybe it's best to ask one :cool::cool:

And remember your 10/22 will never beat a bolt action rifle in IS competition shooting. Well unless it can consistently do 1/2" groups @50m with ZERO flyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Scalachi

CliveJ,

After much discussion last year, it was agreed (with the UK BR) that Semi Autoes were allowed.

Regards

DB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭nastros

Wow this thread has some great advice for anyone with a CZ452. I am just about to order the yo dave trigger kit and get a boyds thumbhole stock for my own CZ. I find the current stock a little uncomfortable when shooting on a bench. I tried the Eley Match ammo in the rifle the other day and have to say there was a big difference in the groups. Once I get them installed I might post an update here on the difference its made.

Scalachi wrote: »
    CliveJ,

After much discussion last year, it was agreed (with the UK BR) that Semi Autoes were allowed.

Regards

DB

Cheers for the heads up DB (the man that knows the rules like the back of his hand) ;);)

• Advertisement

clivej wrote: »
    I now stand corrected see post below this one

Sorry to disappoint you but no I don't think semi-auto rifles are allowed. As the rules above state 'Return to battery shall NOT be permitted' and that rules out the SA as I see it. :( Reason is you can't have ejecting empty cases hitting the guy beside you.
    But then local club rules may overrule the NASRPC rules and allow them to be used. :):)

And I'm not sure if the compensator comes under the 'Barrel weights, harmonic tuners or bullet stabilisers, barrel attachments (vibration devices) are NOT permitted' rule.

I'm not the expert on this maybe it's best to ask one :cool::cool:

And remember your 10/22 will never beat a bolt action rifle in IS competition shooting. Well unless it can consistently do 1/2" groups @50m with ZERO flyers.

Its pretty consistent, Guess a couple of Rounds of Benchrest will decide how consistent! Short barrel will be a bit of a disadvantage but as its only for some casual competition, I dont mind. Have it set up for gallery so its going to stay short and light!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

also for international sporter i thought bull barrels were not allowed??so a 10/22 with bullbarrel or the .920 size barrels would not be allowed?

Hi Bazza

Not sure where you got that bit, but its news to me as is not part of the rules to my knoweledge ?

Can you post where it came from ?

Regards
    DB

i was more asking is it true of the bull barrels being not allowed,as in could i buy a cz and stick a high end bull barrel on and still be allowed shoot in international sported if i made the weight restriction?

Hi Bazza,

As long as you meet the weight and scope magnification, there should not be an issue, I would imagine if you put a heavy barrel on a CZ and a scope, you will struggle to make the weight.

regards

DB

isuppose thats true,weight is a big factor.is there a restriction on the stock you can use?

Scalachi wrote: »
    Hi Bazza,

As long as you meet the weight and scope magnification, there should not be an issue, I would imagine if you put a heavy barrel on a CZ and a scope, you will struggle to make the weight.

regards

DB

The CZ 453 .22lr varmint I'm getting a license on will only just make the weight limit without bi-pod.

CZ varmint 453 = 6.84lb
    Bushnell 3200 5-15x40mm tactical 1.4lb
    Set of mounts ????

So I'm up to 8.24

That is only 4oz under the allowed limit

You can do a search to see how much one inch of a certain diameter barrel is and see if you could get under the weight limit with a custom barrel.

I've asked about replacing the barrel on a CZ 453 varmint over on Rimfirecentral.com (CZ section) where the consensus seems to be you don't get your bang for the buck by doing this. This will be because the action and bolt are not customized as well.

I plan on getting an 11 degree crown cut on the muzzle and then pillar bed the action. If this drives me over the weight I'll start reducing the stock weight by adding vents to the for end.

I've got a front rest sorted out.

bazza888 wrote: »
    isuppose thats true,weight is a big factor.is there a restriction on the stock you can use?

YES.
    It can't be flat bottomed at the for end, like the LV and HV stocks can.

A lot of the regulations are there to keep the rifles more to the 'Sporter' end of things. This is why the rifle must be able to be feed from a mag, even if you chose to use a single shot adapter. Yes I checked up and you can use them. It stops the single shot actions from being used with their advantages.

Being semi flat bottomed on the for end would disqualify the boyds evolution would it not?

• Advertisement

Thanks to Cass I have a front rest to mess around with tomorrow. I'm going to try free recoil and the usual way to see if it makes any difference to the scores.

Might get a brick of RWS also and try them out.

Edit: Just checked mine for weight and I'm comfortably under it. Rifle on its own is 3.360 kg and with bipod its 3.636 kg. I plan on using a front rest so that's 0.54 kg to play with. I wonder is there anyway to add some weight some where.

Advertisement