Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas present for supervisor?

• 20-12-2012 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi it just occurred to me rather late, but is it customary for Phd students to give their supervisor a present, like a bottle of wine or something?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

It varies from supervisor to supervisor. A bottle of wine is probably too much. Unless they're having a Christmas party, or make a point of giving gifts to their students, something very token is probably best.

For certain, no supervisor would ever expect a gift (well, maybe after you pass your viva!).

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭beatle

Who doesn't like a pressie? :-) I gave my supervisor a bottle of mulled wine and it was very appreciated, but not expected. Probably depends on your relationship...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

I would recommend a bottle of 18 year old scotch,

Advertisement