Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

quinn released for xmas

• 20-12-2012 7:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭

i see old man fraudster quinn is being released for 3 days over the xmas, jesus that man must be laughing his hole off at the patetic justice system in this country, he gets 9 weeks of a cushy card playing sentence and then he gets a few days off for xmas.

a fcking disgrace of a country.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

gustafo wrote: »
    i see old man fraudster quinn is being released for 3 days over the xmas, jesus that man must be laughing his hole off at the patetic justice system in this country, he gets 9 weeks of a cushy card playing sentence and then he gets a few days off for xmas.

Are you really supprised though ?
    I'm not.... It's par for the course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I am not a fan of his, but I wouldn't begrudge him getting out for a few days over Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Fergal Quinn is doin' porridge???

Up his hole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Joe, its a disgrace. Somebody should do something.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Is this for real?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Gets out of jail just after world ends. What luck!

Skid wrote: »
    I am not a fan of his, but I wouldn't begrudge him getting out for a few days over Christmas.

Why? What makes him in any way more deserving of seasonal release than any of the thousands of other criminals in jail?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Thats it.

Cavan, you are now officially the refuge of fúcktards.

Gombeen wánkers the lot of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Sure he might murder someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭navara man

great new .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

I have no strong feelings towards Quinn one way or another but I have a feeling that no matter what his fate is some people won't be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Why? What makes him in any way more deserving of seasonal release than any of the thousands of other criminals in jail?

He's not more deserving. He's just as deserving as the many other prisoners who will be released from jail for Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Seeing as they let Murderers and rapists out, I don't see why he shouldn't get the same privileges as violent offenders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

gustafo wrote: »

It's hardly the worst thing that has happened in fairness. I don't see any harm in letting him out for the few days, he has not murdered anyone.
    He can't go to the grandchild's christening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

Released where?

*goes to find rifle*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Probably worth noting that as of yet Sean Quinn is not a convicted criminal

Skid wrote: »
    Seeing as they let Murderers and rapists out, I don't see why he shouldn't get the same privileges as violent offenders.

Yeah fair enough.
    Gee Bag wrote: »

True, so how was he even granted compassionate release? Is there precedent (before now) for allowing those being held for contempt of court to be released temporarily?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Gee Bag wrote: »

Indeed Mr.Gee.

It's also worth noting that this family has caused a 2% levy on insurance policies for the foreseeable future.

These fucking gimps have also reportedly tried to dip their greedy paws in the taxpayers pockets and disobey legitimate court orders.

Why anyone would have any sympathy fpr these greedy gimps is beyond me /

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

♫ Drivin' home for Christmas
    I take look at the driver next to me
    He pays my insurance levy................. ♫

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

I don't know what the big deal is - shur that money was only resting in his account.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭GoodisonPark

System bends over for Quinn.
    Contempt prisoners do not qualify for temporary release , they serve every day of their sentence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Since when to prisoners get out of prison for Christmas. What an absolute joke. Im quite embarrassed to be Irish right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

System bends over for Quinn.
    Contempt prisoners do not qualify for temporary release , they serve every day of their sentence.

Can you verify this statement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

A Lot of non-violent offenders get released for the Xmas period. It means less prison officers have to be rostered on for Xmas day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Indeed Mr.Gee.

It's also worth noting that this family has caused a 2% levy on insurance policies for the foreseeable future.

These fucking gimps have also reportedly tried to dip their greedy paws in the taxpayers pockets and disobey legitimate court orders.

Look very carefully at the 2% levy.... the majority of it is down to the fact that the administrators have no idea how to run an insurance company.

http://namawinelake.wordpress.com/2012/08/08/the-quinn-insurance-debacle-or-how-on-earth-have-we-ended-up-on-the-hook-for-over-e1bn-or-1-of-our-gdp/

read that article and you will see that we are getting f*cked again.Quinn is still a greedy bstard but put blame where it should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭GoodisonPark

dirtyden wrote: »
    Can you verify this statement?

Dáil Éireann - Volume 483 - 02 December, 1997
    Written Answers. - Temporary Release of Prisoners.
    441. Mr. Durkan asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the total number of prisoners who have not served their full sentence in each month since 30 June 1997; the categories of prisoners involved in this regard; the reason for the early releases in this regard; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [21575/97]
    Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Mr. O'Donoghue): It is not possible to provide the precise information sought by the Deputy in the time available. However, the daily average number of persons on temporary release in the period from 30 June to the 30 November 1997 was approximately 527.
    All categories of sentenced offenders are eligible for consideration for temporary release except those imprisoned for contempt of court including civil debtors). It is long-standing policy, however, that persons serving sentences for serious crimes such as sex offences, importation or supply of drugs, armed robbery (including robberies where a syringe was used) and other cases involving serious violence are not granted periods of temporary release except in very exceptional circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

donvito99 wrote: »
    Thats it.

Cavan, you are now officially the refuge of fúcktards.

Gombeen wánkers the lot of them.

What an ignorant post - generalise much do you??

Oh and he's not from Cavan - he's from Fermanagh but don't let that get in the way :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

These ****ing gimps have also reportedly tried to dip their greedy paws in the taxpayers pockets and disobey legitimate court orders.

ah god father its terrable, god forgive me for using the laurds name in vane but jesus christ isn't it terrable
    don't see a problem to be honest, it was a discrase what he done but fraud isn't exactly assault rape or murder.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

All categories of sentenced offenders are eligible for consideration for temporary release except those imprisoned for contempt of court including civil debtors).

so violent or sex offenders can be considered for temporary release yet someone who ends up in jail for contempt of court or non-payment of a debt can't? it would be funny if it wasn't true. i suppose its good though that the policy is to only give violent criminals such release in exceptional circumstances, how it works in practice is another matter however.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Meanwhile that poor man that imported that bit of garlic into the country will spend the next six Christmases in prison.

Meanwhile that poor man that imported that bit of garlic into the country will spend Christmas in prison.

Poor man???? Are you f*cking serious, did you not read the measures he took to defraud the state. I dont get people having sympathy for that guy. He purposely defrauded the state of €1.6m. He should be in jail. As should Mr Quinn.

EDIT: Are you being sarcastic? My sarcasm-detector aint working so great lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Hogzy wrote: »
    Poor man???? Are you f*cking serious, did you not read the measures he took to defraud the state. I dont get people having sympathy for that guy. He purposely defrauded the state of €1.6m. He should be in jail. As should Mr Quinn.

EDIT: Are you being sarcastic? My sarcasm-detector aint working so great lately.

Which is worse, importing a bit of Garlic or fcuking up the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Dáil Éireann - Volume 483 - 02 December, 1997
    Written Answers. - Temporary Release of Prisoners.
    441. Mr. Durkan asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the total number of prisoners who have not served their full sentence in each month since 30 June 1997; the categories of prisoners involved in this regard; the reason for the early releases in this regard; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [21575/97]
    Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Mr. O'Donoghue): It is not possible to provide the precise information sought by the Deputy in the time available. However, the daily average number of persons on temporary release in the period from 30 June to the 30 November 1997 was approximately 527.
    All categories of sentenced offenders are eligible for consideration for temporary release except those imprisoned for contempt of court including civil debtors). It is long-standing policy, however, that persons serving sentences for serious crimes such as sex offences, importation or supply of drugs, armed robbery (including robberies where a syringe was used) and other cases involving serious violence are not granted periods of temporary release except in very exceptional circumstances.

Fair enough.

I am not sure that is quite the same as the compassionate release Quinn is looking for. The only reason I asked the question is I am sure if the compassionate release quinn was looking for was somehow unprecedented it would be all over the press. I cant believe that every journalist/reporter/lawyer/the prison system would have missed this, but you picked up on it. I am sure if he gets it that it will not break any rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

Meanwhile that poor man that imported that bit of garlic into the country will spend the next six Christmases in prison.

I would not call him poor, well maybe a bit poorer than he was after paying the tax he owes.
    I would say his sentence will be reduced on appeal and then maybe people can stop going on about him as if he was a saint.
    Paul Begley, from Rathcoole, Co Dublin, was sentenced in March after he admitted that he avoided paying €1.6m in garlic import duty.

Purposely labeling Garlic as apples so as to pay less tax and defraud Ireland of 1.6 million in tax. Yeah. Thats bad and justifies a prison term. Are you saying people shouldnt go to prison for tax fraud? ...Yeah thought not.

Im not saying I dont think Sean Quinn's actions are equally culpable or even more so. But that garlic importer SHOULD be in jail. As should Quinn.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Quinn released but they locked up the 2 boys that robbed his laptop from his car in Dublin last month.

Be funny if they were in the queue for food together in prison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Any bets on a little trip up north to get out of further jail-time..............................

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

so violent or sex offenders can be considered for temporary release yet someone who ends up in jail for contempt of court or non-payment of a debt can't? it would be funny if it wasn't true
    It's so people who are in prison for not paying their TV license can watch the Queen's speech on the prison telly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

He stole €1,600,000 in that matter. People go to jail for stealing a thousandth of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Hmmm, is that guy who got 6 years for the garlic crime being let out for Christmas as well? Somehow I doubt it..

EDIT: Just see he is not, what a country...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

When will people stop comparing every jail sentence to 'the garlic man'? He basically robbed €1.6 million from the exchequer.

And before you say it's not a shadow if what Quinn did, his case is on going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Totally agree. Sick of hearing about the 'garlic man' at this stage, it would leave a bad taste in your mouth :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Rasheed wrote: »
    When will people stop comparing every jail sentence to 'the garlic man'? He basically robbed €1.6 million from the exchequer.

And before you say it's not a shadow if what Quinn did, his case is on going.

Its more a comparison of how elite the justice system is. You can be sure if he had money behind him and was an active community member in well respected circles, he would get off with a fine, but since he had none of this he was thrown in the slammer. And we have a rich man who blamed a vicious sexual assual on cholesterol meds out in less than 6 months, of course people are going to compare the sentences when judges who are living in cuckoo land dish out their own justice..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

HondaSami wrote: »
    He can't go to the grandchild's christening.
    Plus an ideal opportunity to squirrel away some more of our money. A double whammy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Is Mick Wallace allowed out for Christmas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Which is worse, sarcasm or idiocy?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Hogzy wrote: »
    Since when to prisoners get out of prison for Christmas. What an absolute joke. Im quite embarrassed to be Irish right now.

It's being happening for quite a while now, certain prisoners are selected for it. They get released on Xmas eve and are supposed to report back on the 27th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Obviously Quinn is worse than someone that imports garlic. But then importing garlic is a perfectly legitimate business. Defrauding the state is a different story though........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Ah jaysus Joe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Rasheed wrote: »

You're missing the point.

Begley, admits his guilt, pays his fines and gets an unbelievable six years !

Quinn robs everyone, denies doing any wrong and gets out for Christmas.

• Advertisement
Advertisement