Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nurses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭mountai

Nursing/Midwifery strike? Is that what you mean? There is a rally tomorrow in Dublin which I will attend.

Attend all the rallies you like. Go out on strike --- watch the reaction the public give you. Like the Teachers --- You will be Booed back into your wards where you all belong . Cop on you greedy people.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Mrs. Draper

mountai wrote: »
    Attend all the rallies you like. Go out on strike --- watch the reaction the public give you. Like the Teachers --- You will be Booed back into your wards where you all belong . Cop on you greedy people.

Would you settle for 11k less than what your colleagues earned upon leaving the same educational institute only 3 years previously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Ah, why worry mountai.
    Shur you have your money made.....
    Why the Celtic Tiger seemed to bypass Wexford,and now I know.
    Every public servant that I"ve dealt with since I came to this town, is without exception - Rude -Agressive- Dictatiorial - Ignorant - Thick.
    I could imagine trying to deal with these A**holes to set up a business
    to give employment ,investment etc. Thanks be to God, I"ve got my money made and dont have to deal with their likes on a regular basis.
    Throught history, in the wake of Bloody Revolution,the first to be lined up against the wall - POLITICIANS - next - PUBLIC SERVANTS - next -PROFESSIONALS. Sooner the Revolution comes the better !!!!

FREEDOM FOR WEXFORD

Your posts seem so level headed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Israel_Dagg

Would you settle for 11k less than what your colleagues earned upon leaving the same educational institute only 3 years previously?

Wages have to come down.

And it's only for 1000 jobs in the public sector, I presume the private sector is still allowed pay what they like. Plenty of nurses on the scratcher would bite their arms off for 22k.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭leanonme

Wages have to come down.

And it's only for 1000 jobs in the public sector, I presume the private sector is still allowed pay what they like. Plenty of nurses on the scratcher would bite their arms off for 22k.

Plenty of other graduates would kill for 22k, and getting to stay in Ireland. I know I would.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

leanonme wrote: »
    Plenty of other graduates would kill for 22k, and getting to stay in Ireland. I know I would.

You can earn more that that working in dunes stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

Plenty of other graduates would kill for 22k

+1 on this.

kceire wrote: »

Public sector

Private sector

There's the difference. And let them go work in Dunnes if they're not happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Nursing/Midwifery strike? Is that what you mean? There is a rally tomorrow in Dublin which I will attend.

How did they rally go? Did you get to attend?

Dont know what dunes stores you know of, but the ones I know dont pay that much to an individual starting out. From what I am aware of they would be paid around 18000 for a years work working 40 hours a week that is there first year.

And in the long term they will not get much more than that even with years experience. Which is not the case for any graduate who has left college. We all need to take cuts, I would be more than willing to work for 22k for the next two years if it meant I gained experience, which would lead me to better pay in the future.

How ever I may be different to other graduates who seem to have a sense of entitlement that they deserve 30k starting out pay, which if people still believe this I think we would be better with them leaving the county because its this sense of entitlement and greed that has this county in the state it is in.

• Advertisement

Wages have to come down.

This 'initiative' is not creating 1,000 new jobs. Its introduction will put 1,000 experienced nurses and midwives out of work

Odysseus wrote: »
    How did they rally go? Did you get to attend?

Yes I did. Anyway, I'm not looking for sympathy. I just want to give the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Yes I did. Anyway, I'm not looking for sympathy. I just want to give the facts.

I don't really do sympathy, so you are lucky;) No I am interested to kniw how it went? There are always nurses on the various teams I work with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I've received a lot of fabulous care from nurses over the years and every one of them deserve our thanks. However, the country has no money but if this initiative helps graduate nurses gain the practical experience to forward their careers, they should snap it up. Too easy for others to take the high moral ground on this one, it's either a lower paid job or nothing. They should take the job on offer and make the most of a bad lot.

I'm sure every other unemployed graduate (in private sector fields) would welcome a similar scheme to help them off the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Sure it ain't fair, but where do you think the money will come from?

I'm assuming seeing as there is a protest that there is a plan that has been worked out to have everyone on the same wages.

Is there a plan?

I haven't heard Liam Doran mention it anytime he comes on the TV but maybe you can tell us.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Dont know what dunes stores you know of, but the ones I know dont pay that much to an individual starting out. From what I am aware of they would be paid around 18000 for a years work working 40 hours a week that is there first year.

And in the long term they will not get much more than that even with years experience. Which is not the case for any graduate who has left college. We all need to take cuts, I would be more than willing to work for 22k for the next two years if it meant I gained experience, which would lead me to better pay in the future.

How ever I may be different to other graduates who seem to have a sense of entitlement that they deserve 30k starting out pay, which if people still believe this I think we would be better with them leaving the county because its this sense of entitlement and greed that has this county in the state it is in.

See there's my point. You say you have no problem with the 22k salary but then say only for 2 years.

Also you must have no experience with dunes stores ;) I have family members there on the floor earning over €12.50 per hour plus time and a half for Sundays plus bonus pay for bank holidays. They also still get their yearly increments/pay rise.

My niece stared in forever 21 in November, walked in off the street to €11 odd per hour.

See there's my point. You say you have no problem with the 22k salary but then say only for 2 years.

Also you must have no experience with dunes stores ;) I have family members there on the floor earning over €12.50 per hour plus time and a half for Sundays plus bonus pay for bank holidays. They also still get their yearly increments/pay rise.

My niece stared in forever 21 in November, walked in off the street to €11 odd per hour.

Once again that's privately owned!!! They can pay what they like! Let the nurses go work there then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭spagboll

junior doctors and nurses get the shaft, other hospital staff are on the gravy train

often times the junior doctor on call is the lowest paid person in the hospital after porters, cleaners and catering staff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

spagboll wrote: »
    junior doctors and nurses get the shaft, other hospital staff are on the gravy train

often times the junior doctor on call is the lowest paid person in the hospital after porters, cleaners and catering staff

The hours that junior doctors are pressured to work are indeed inhumane, no argument from me on that.

If this proposal goes ahead the newly employed nurse will be on less pay than the porters, cleaners and catering staff. All staff have an important role, but pay should reflect the responsibilities of a role.

And i'm going to apply a hazy free market argument here - it's about supply and demand, right? Well, all those people who've said that they'd love a graduate role at €22,000 should just apply for these jobs then. I mean, it's a graduate scheme, right? Take in graduates who may have no experience, and train them? Only - it's not a graduate scheme. it's exploitation of nurses, who trained and gained experience during their 4 year course.

The money is there to hire nurses on proper contracts - currently it's been paid to agencies to provide temp nurses. There'll always be a need for agency staff, but it's not a staffing solution for full time roles.

This isn't nurses complaining about the pay cuts that all new entrants into the public sector have taken - starting pay has already been cut by 24% since 2009. If this sheme were to go ahead this would be a total cut of 34% since 2009.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

oldyouth wrote: »
    I'm sure every other unemployed graduate (in private sector fields) would welcome a similar scheme to help them off the dole.

They've Jobsbridge :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

Nurses dont get paid half enough as it is for the work they do, I love the private sector post celtic tiger attitude wanting everyones pay cut in the public sector, when they were on the gravey train in the celtic tiger they laughed at people in the public sector and looked down on them, Private sector is has its fair share of wasters and dont forget the people who by and largely put us in this recession were private sector bankers and developers!!!

Nurses dont get paid half enough as it is for the work they do, I love the private sector post celtic tiger attitude wanting everyones pay cut in the public sector, when they were on the gravey train in the celtic tiger they laughed at people in the public sector and looked down on them, Private sector is has its fair share of wasters and dont forget the people who by and largely put us in this recession were private sector bankers and developers!!!

What do you mean for the work they do? What about the guys who maintain the roads that you drive on? They're not on big money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

What do you mean for the work they do? What about the guys who maintain the roads that you drive on? They're not on big money.

"10 grammes of tar and chip, Stat"

Hippies! wrote: »
    They've Jobsbridge :)

Yes we are so lucky we have jobs bridge. I am about to start a jobs bridge internship and for my 40 hours a week I will receive 183 euro total a week, so for my 9 months I will receive 6588, which is a alot less than a nurse on 22k for 3 months more.

And yes I would be willing to work for 22k, and I don't believe that after the two years you would not be better off, and earning more than someone who didn't work in there profession because they will earn more in dunnes stores for those two years.

Also I have friends who have worked in super value for 6 years and are still on 8.65, so you are not better off stacking shelves than taking up employment in the field you have your degree in.

Could you explain your first point to me, cause this new scheme is only for a two year contract, so what is wrong with me saying I would sign up for this two year contract. After the two years you would be earning more than 22k, or at least you would be in a better situation after the two years than would would be sitting at home.

Have to respond to this, during the boom years Public Sector salaries rose year on year thanks to Bertie and his cronies so it's a bit much to see posts like this.

And unless someone was in the building trade or a plumber etc no Private Sector worker was on any "gravy train" as you put it.

It's amazing that there is 2 years of paid work experience being offered that will look good on a CV and people would rather do nothing rather than take advantage of it.

If such a scheme was available in the Private Sector there would be a line of people the length of O Connell Street looking for these jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

It's amazing that there is 2 years of paid work experience being offered that will look good on a CV and people would rather do nothing rather than take advantage of it.

Do nothing? The other option is to go to the UK, where the NHS recognises the experience gained DURING the degree course by Irish trained nurses.

cuckoo wrote: »
    Do nothing? The other option is to go to the UK, where the NHS recognises the experience gained DURING the degree course by Irish trained nurses.

There won't be jobs for all the graduates in the UK, why not use the system to gain real experience over the 2 years and then look for work?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Nurse Dominatrix runs tomorrow.

Don't think this thread is for horse racing

Nurse racing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Just seen on the news the application rate has been very low for the jobs. These young graduates are deluded. €22k may not be huge money, but these days it's a good start and a job in Ireland in very uncertain times.
    The sense of entitlement from this set of workers and the Unions is sickening to say the least. The real elephant in the room is the Croke Park Agreement and the fact that existing nurse pay and conditions are absolutely cushioned (for now) and thus there's far less in the "pot" for the new entrants.

Advertisement