Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nurses

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

Nurses need to realise that there are plenty of people doing work that is alot harder and more demanding than them, and that its only the media that portray this 'nurses are the pillars of the community - what would we do without them?' attitude.

They get paid A LOT of money for what they do, and yet all they do is moan and groan.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,743 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Tom_Cruise wrote: »
    Nurses need to realise that there are plenty of people doing work that is alot harder and more demanding than them, and that its only the media that portray this 'nurses are the pillars of the community - what would we do without them?' attitude.

They get paid A LOT of money for what they do, and yet all they do is moan and groan.

Ha ha ha. You obviously know nothing about their job and must be young and have not spent time in a hospital. You probably never worked shift work in your life either.

How much does the average shelf stacker earn these days? (rate per hour and average hours?)
    To answer my own question:
    http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/dunnes-stores-staff-to-get-3pc-rise-next-month-3356656.html
    It is worth over €600 to full-time staff, who earn in the region of €23,000 to €24,000 a year.
    The wage being offered does seem poorly paid relative to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭hi!

Example please?
    €22,000 before tax is NOT a lot of money for the work they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Jarrod

I don't think anyone has denied that there are harder jobs out there but that doesn't change the fact that it is an extremely tough job. And I doubt anyone is doing work that is a lot harder and more demanding for 22,000. The job requires a 4 year degree (actually it's slightly longer) and then after that they're expected to work for less than some shop assistants* earn. That's outrageous and I hope that nurses absolutely reject this scheme.

*Not having a go at shop assistants, but having done both jobs I know which I'd do again if offered similar money for both.

• Advertisement

They are highly skilled and qualified health care professionals responsible for the most vulnerable people in society, work long and unsocial hours and do all manner of things in their working day that most people would run a mile from.

Even if their job wasn't physically hard, stressful and demanding being qualified to do what they do itself they would deserve to be well paid.

You haven't got a clue if you think they are paid "A LOT" they are poorly paid for what they do, never mind this new reduced joke of a wage that's being introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭hi!

mfitzy wrote: »

Choice is simple. If you don't want to work with the above for the salaries on offer, move along to something else.

That's what they're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

So are all the people that don't want the jobs going to go overseas then?

I'm assuming they are rather than sit at home doing nothing seeing as they don't want these positions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Fishooks13

mountai wrote: »
    Welcome to the real world. The practice of hiring in staff at rates below existing workers has been going on in the private sector for years. Yes it is a way of driving down costs and when your employer is bankrupt, whats wrong with that?. IMHO you have been offered a mighty deal , Two years contract . In the private sector, the average time is 6 months. Go on the dole if you dont like it , or emigrate.When the Croke Park agreement runs out just watch the disgraceful pay rates tumble, that is assuming of course the negotiators (on behalf of Us -- the hard pressed private sector workers} show some moral courage and backbone . Remember , the world does NOT owe you a living so get on with it and stop whinging.
    mountai wrote: »
    Strange that no one has picked up on the point made about the countrys ability to Pay. Yes it would be great if we all could go back to Celtic Tiger rates of pay , which most of the "Caring" professionals are still on. How many examples have we seen of the greedy Consultants in their ivory towers "Yes it will be 150 Euro for your consultation ( which may take 10 mins) and bring cash". . GPs charging 50-60 per visit . When I queried why charge so much? (from a current GP AND serving TD) "Because thats the rate" was the response.Value for money?? . What a joke. How come its far cheaper to have a scan in a Private Hospital than a NHS one??. Why does the NHS refuse to use scans from these facilities for follow up treatment??.Every country in the world uses XRays ,Scans etc from previous medical units in these circumstances. I Know why -- Greed-- Do their own and charge double for it.
    A huge amount of current borrowings go to pay for inflated PS pensions. In the private sector, if you get a letter form your provider stating that because of losses, your pension is reduced , or even gone altogether, there is nothing you can do. Yet ,the country is Broke and we STILL borrow to give INCREASES to these people.This is the real world -- welcome to it.

Dumped by a nurse eh?

Fishooks13 wrote: »
    Dumped by a nurse eh?

and barred out of Coppers :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

22k for shift work as a nurse? Ridiculous wage. Imagine the $hit you would have to put up with (literally in some cases) for that pittance. Fair play to them for not taking it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I'm assuming they are rather than sit at home doing nothing seeing as they don't want these positions.

They will probably continue as agency workers........

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭leanonme

I wish this scheme was available in my area. I finished college in May and was sick of waiting round by September so I decided to apply for an internship(jobs bridge) and for my 40 hours a week I will receive 184, will have the same responsibility as other social care workers. What I will get is a hell of a lot less than what these nurses are being offered, and I know plenty of the people I went to college with would be happy to be offered this position.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Not a nurse but am married to one.
    It's a f*cking hard job, physically, emotionally and mentally.
    They are highly educated and regulated and subject to very strict rules and guidelines.
    22k is not a high salary by any means (UK nurse's start on 24k (30k in London) and have better career prospects and educational opportunities.
    Nurses in Australia start on €42k.
    Don't buy the Government spin on this.
    The agreed (government and nurses reps) salary starts at €26k and that is the going and fair rate for the position.
    Liam Doran and the INMO are right to fight this and have the whole hearted support of many, many non nursing healthcare workers.

Stay doing agency work until the governt realise they have no choice but to offer proper wages.

Stay doing agency work until the governt realise they have no choice but to offer proper wages.

They might be a while waiting for that outcome seeing as the country is broke.

The Troika pays the PS wages now.

Maybe Doran should be talking to them?

Oh the Troika.
    The nurses and Doran should be quaking in their shoes. :rolleyes:
    Maybe they should only offer them 50% of a regular nurses wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭mountai

Sure Doran must love all you Nurses. When questioned about HIS salary , he refused to give any details. Just like the IMO , on a HUGE salary no doubt .

Oh the Troika.
    The nurses and Doran should be quaking in their shoes. :rolleyes:
    Maybe they should only offer them 50% of a regular nurses wage.

The Troika can offer whatever they feel like offering and there is jacksh*t Doran or anyone else can do about it.

The Troika can offer whatever they feel like offering and there is jacksh*t Doran or anyone else can do about it.

They can do exactly as they are doing now and refuse the miserable offer.
    30 applied for 1,000 jobs. Says it all. What can your beloved Troika do about that then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

They should really tackle consultant pay before dealing with nurses.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Hire Filipino nurses who will be very happy with 22K

The Filipino nurses have also started going where the money is. Very few coming here now.

They can do exactly as they are doing now and refuse the miserable offer.
    30 applied for 1,000 jobs. Says it all. What can your beloved Troika do about that then?

They couldn't care less if no nurse took it, their concern is the fact that the HSE is going way over budget and seems to have no control of spending.

They couldn't care less if no nurse took it, their concern is the fact that the HSE is going way over budget and seems to have no control of spending.

Then they need to start at the top. The HSE is top heavy with managers and administrators as has been said many times already.
    If they stopped paying the debts of the entire E.U. Bankers and speculators they might save even more before we end up with hardly any nurses, garda, firemen etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The Filipino nurses have also started going where the money is. Very few coming here now.

Fair point

I wasn't being smart
    Just no matter if it's public or private, when management want to cut staff costs and avoid pay rises they look abroad

Hotel industry for the last several years as an example

Filipino nurses have a great reputation and there are many in Ireland.
    Maybe that's something HSE management will target

Good luck to them if they can get better money elsewhere

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Fair point

I wasn't being smart
    Just no matter if it's public or private, when management want to cut staff costs and avoid pay rises they look abroad

Hotel industry for the last several years as an example

Filipino nurses have a great reputation and there are many in Ireland.
    Maybe that's something HSE management will target

Good luck to them if they can get better money elsewhere

Agreed but as we reduce wages we also reduce efficiency. Many low paid service workers will also move to where the money is or if they stay they will not work to their potential as they know nobody will take their job at the money.
    It's a vicious circle now. Two cleaners (Lituanians) where I work recently jacked in the job because their wages were cut and went home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭tenton

Two cleaners (Lituanians) where I work recently jacked in the job because their wages were cut and went home.
    You sure money was the reason - that they did not go home because they missed their famalies, own culture + language etc? Given the wages they were on here are far higher than wages they would get for equivalent work elsewhere. Our minimum wage is still too high.

tenton wrote: »
    You sure money was the reason - that they did not go home because they missed their famalies, own culture + language etc? Given the wages they were on here are far higher than wages they would get for equivalent work elsewhere. Our minimum wage is still too high.

"Our minimum wage is still too high" ?

ESB, Gas, Petrol, Car tax, tolls etc etc etc all gone up but you think the minimum wage is too high. Try tell someone on minimum wage that or better still try living on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Again I dont see why the consultants are paid so much. For their talents they are extremely overpaid.

• Advertisement

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Again I dont see why the consultants are paid so much. For their talents they are extremely overpaid.

Gave a consultant 100 euro for 5 mins a few months ago.
    50 euro to see a doctor is too high as well.

Advertisement