Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nurses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,743 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

mountai wrote: »
    "I really hope you get sick maybe then you will understand why we need these people."

Well thank you for that Derekmcauley7 . Shows some level of mentality. At least I tried to put foreward some positve steps for consideration in trying to bring minds to bear on our present situation. May YOU have a long, prosperous and healthy life.!!!!!

I don't know about the "prosperous" bit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

How do I know your paying tax for all I know you could be costing the state money, but what I do know is nurses deserve a fair wage, by the way I dont believe you starred in dumb and dumber! apologies

Apology accepted.

I am a taxpyer (sadly!). I agree they do deserve a fair wage and it is a tough job, as are so many others, they are not unique in that regard. I think €22k is a good start and a foot in the door for any graduate. And a reflection of the economic reality of the country paying it, more importantly. We need to get more from less money that is just the way it is.

Boombastic wrote: »
    2011 & 2010 graduates seem to be showing more interests in the jobs. Jobs are also available for EU students to take.

I hope they are not feeling bullied from applying for these jobs by the unions:(

Well maybe they should have applied last year. I think you'll find many 2011 graduates are still looking for jobs.

Why would any E.U. student come here when they too can go to countries that pay much higher?
    The students I saw on the news didn't look at all like they were being bullied by the unions. They looked very angry at what the Govt were trying to do to them and there were plenty of them interviewed.

mfitzy wrote: »
    Apology accepted.

I am a taxpyer (sadly!). I agree they do deserve a fair wage and it is a tough job, as are so many others, they are not unique in that regard. I think €22k is a good start and a foot in the door for any graduate. And a reflection of the economic reality of the country paying it, more importantly. We need to get more from less money that is just the way it is.

They are not taking up the offer and we are very short of nurses, so what's your solution?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

Apology accepted.

This is a bad option and the results of this will quickly turn this measure into a long term disaster for the health service in terms of staff shortages and probally cost the state in the medium to long term. The morale of those already in the system is rock bottom and this proposal is also a further insult to them! I wouldnt expect anything better from HSE management or this government! But it will keep the private sector begrudgers happy!

• Advertisement

They are not taking up the offer and we are very short of nurses, so what's your solution?

My solution way back was cut the pay of the existing ones and pay the extra then to the young 'uns. That is not going to happen. As for increasing the €22k start, running a €9 billion deficit that seems fair enough to me. Know graduate I know/knew would have not at least considered it so I can only conclude nurses have been very well paid to date.

My solution way back was cut the pay of the existing ones and pay the extra then to the young 'uns. That is not going to happen. As for increasing the €22k start, running a €9 billion deficit that seems fair enough to me. Know graduate I know/knew would have not at least considered it so I can only conclude nurses have been very well paid to date.

But the existing ones obviously have contracts and as a result have budgeted mortgages etc on that level of pay. They might not consider that as being a great wage. If you cut them again then many will pack in the job and leave too.

I sincerely hope you don't work in HR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Derekmcauley7

mountai wrote: »
    "I really hope you get sick maybe then you will understand why we need these people."

Well thank you for that Derekmcauley7 . Shows some level of mentality. At least I tried to put foreward some positve steps for consideration in trying to bring minds to bear on our present situation. May YOU have a long, prosperous and healthy life.!!!!!

hahaha If you think that's bad man you should have seen what I took out of my reply.

Me wishing you to get sick is nothing compared to you wanting to watch the health service go to the dogs. You should be ashamed of your sort sighted views.

But the existing ones obviously have contracts and as a result have budgeted mortgages etc on that level of pay. They might not consider that as being a great wage. If you cut them again then many will pack in the job and leave too.

I sincerely hope you don't work in HR.

But the country is broke? Do you think because all the thousands laid off in the bust went running with their contracts to their bust employers demanding they keep them on? Did they fcuk!
    Pity I don't work in PS HR. Might bring a dose of reality to things for a change.

But the country is broke? Do you think because all the thousands laid off in the bust went running with their contracts to their bust employers demanding they keep them on? Did they fcuk!
    Pity I don't work in PS HR. Might bring a dose of reality to things for a change.

Good job is right. They would all be out on strike and patients would suffer.
    But you'd save money :)

• Advertisement

Good job is right. They would all be out on strike and patients would suffer.
    But you'd save money :)

More union militancy and threats. How helpful.

Why do you twist everything?
    I have nothing to do with their union and don't even work in the Public Sector.
    I gave an opinion which is not a threat.
    If you can't answer the questions or accept the comments then just don't reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Why would any E.U. student come here when they too can go to countries that pay much higher?
    The students I saw on the news didn't look at all like they were being bullied by the unions. They looked very angry at what the Govt were trying to do to them and there were plenty of them interviewed.

What countries in the EU pays more and how much?
    Any links? because I can see some which are lower.

What countries in the EU pays more and how much?
    Any links? because I can see some which are lower.

Why would they come here when they can go to a country which pays more. A country similar to where our nurses go like Canada, Australia or even England?

Why would they come here when they can go to a country which pays more. A country similar to where our nurses go like Canada, Australia or even England?

Are you sure that nurses starting salary in the UK is lower? Only working in London do you get allowances. How much is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

Its getting to a stage where some public service unions will walk away from croke park, it appears that the cuts being asked for in services and what the government might legislate for in pay cuts might not result in a massive difference, Some unions will probally say its now at the point at which industrial action becomes a reality and many workers now feel that too. This governemnt seem to think they can walk all over everybody and retain their own pay and expenses and down grade esential services, they are far more sheepish when it comes to dealing with the merkels and Europe but like the schoolyard bully the target those who are vunerable!

Are you sure that nurses starting salary in the UK is lower? Only working in London do you get allowances. How much is it?

From talking to a local nurse the starting wage at Band 5 is much the same (except they get paid in Sterling so about 20% more usually. also London where most nurses go get paid up to 5k extra. Plus the money is far better as you climb grades. She said up to 90k per annum at Band 9. Promotion is easier to get too according to her.
    I don't really know too much about it except what the local nurse explained but I found this link for you -

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/adult_nurse_salary.htm

From talking to a local nurse the starting wage at Band 5 is much the same (except they get paid in Sterling so about 20% more usually. also London where most nurses go get paid up to 5k extra. Plus the money is far better as you climb grades. She said up to 90k per annum at Band 9. Promotion is easier to get too according to her.
    I don't really know too much about it except what the local nurse explained but I found this link for you -

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/adult_nurse_salary.htm

NHS Agenda for change 2012/2013

£21,176 = €25,164, still less than €26,834, €1670 less.

London is more expensive to live in, hence the higher rate. But this is the exception. Most -places in the UK pay less to newly qualified nurses.

NHS Agenda for change 2012/2013

£21,176 = €25,164, still less than €26,834, €1670 less.

London is more expensive to live in, hence the higher rate. But this is the exception. Most -places in the UK pay less to newly qualified nurses.

They will never progress to this here either

"Range of typical salaries at senior level (Bands 7-9 in the NHS): £30,460 - £97,478."

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Apology accepted.

Fair enough, but if increments are scrapped, how do these young nurses ever progress from that starting wage?

• Advertisement

March 2011 UK

Nurses pay WILL be frozen for two years, as Government bans wage rise for health workers earning more than £21,000

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

If that was implemented in March 2011 then that freeze period is almost up. What's your point? The case being made here is to abolish increments altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

You cannot compare a government providing vital services to a business who are in existence to make profit. Most services provided by a government are always going to run at a substantial loss there is no other possibility.

At the end of the day the government are not going to go bust despite what some people think, things are better now than a year or two ago. They will get the money from somewhere in order to maintain the country, a business does not have the same leeway and ability to drum up funds from various different places that a government does.

Posts like this annoy me, where is this "somewhere" that we ofton hear about?

The country is broke, the money that pays for the day to day running of the country comes from the IMF, they can't get money anywhere else at the moment.

If that was implemented in March 2011 then that freeze period is almost up. What's your point? The case being made here is to abolish increments altogether.

They are looking to extend the freeze, also to abolish increments. Google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

IMHO nurses do very important work in very difficult circumstances (for the most part) and a starting salary of €20,000 is an insult to their professionalism, training, education, skills, etc.
    I know several nurses personally and I am very much of the opinion that they are seriously undervalued by society. I have seen these nurses (both male and female) take beatings from patients (some of whom are dealing with various forms of dementia and the like and so are unaware of what they are doing), have serious abuse hurled at them by drunken and drugged idiots and their families, supposedly see their shift end at 8pm and yet not be able to leave until 11pm due to staff shortages and get no additional pay for this, etc etc etc.
    Being in the public service is not the Carlsberg job the media would often have you believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Seriously go to London there are jobs every where for nurses, its almost nothing to come home an hour and a bit on a plane and despite what you read the NHS is very good and there are fabulous private hospitals all over London.

London is a great vibrant city.

mariaalice wrote: »
    Seriously go to London there are jobs every where for nurses, its almost nothing to come home an hour and a bit on a plane and despite what you read the NHS is very good and there are fabulous private hospitals all over London.

Exactly, and when the cream leaves the HSE and unfortunately the patients will be all the poorer for it.
    When our brave nurse bashers are laid low in hospital and cannot get their message through to a foreign nurse because she cannot understand them then they might realize they have a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

mariaalice wrote: »

Yes it makes LOADS of sense to have our newly qualified, highly trained and skilled nurses go to live and work in a different country.
    Some people, believe it or not, want to stay in Ireland and be close to their friends, family, sports clubs, etc. Some people like Dublin, Cork, Galway, wherever they wish to live. An insulting salary of €20k is forcing people to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

While I suspect that the person advocating London is being sarcastic, they do have a point. The choice facing nurses in Ireland now is to work for peanuts in public health or else go into a private nursing home which will provide no possibility for career advancement or any sort of stability. In London, the starting salary is around £27k a year (living elsewhere in the UK you will have a much lower cost of living, especially in the north) but while the NHS is no picnic to work in, they also provide loads of training opportunities and the possibility for promotion. My girlfriend is retraining to be a midwife and is being paid a bursary as well as her staff nurse's wage plus a London allowance.

It certainly beats p*ssing about for checkout wages in Mallow hospital while gobsh*te office workers who sit on their holes all day accuse you of not living in the real world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I was not being sarcastic at all, I thing the plan to pay graduate nurses 80% of first point on the salary scale is silly in the extream and showed up how bereft of new thinking the HSE is, they are going for an easy targed to save money insted of managing properly.

Advertisement