Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nurses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

mariaalice wrote: »
    I was not being sarcastic at all, I thing the plan to pay graduate nurses 80% of first point on the salary scale is silly in the extream and showed up how bereft of new thinking the HSE is, they are going for an easy targed to save money insted of managing properly.

Sorry, I thought you were peddling the "go away to London if you don't like it" line. It really is a good city to advance your career. No picnic either though. Australia sounds like a handier number to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭hi!

People saying nurses knew what they were getting themselves in for when they chose the profession.....they didn't know it would be for such a low wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

hi! wrote: »
    People saying nurses knew what they were getting themselves in for when they chose the profession.....they didn't know it would be for such a low wage.

Well to be fair, no matter how interested you are in a profession you never really know what it is like until you are in it.

People here seem to be happy to say that the abuse they encounter from patients is something that they should have been aware of prior to signing up. The nurses that used to be sent to me after an attack on a ward or in a clinic never knew the impact such an event could have on their ability to carry out their profession.

Having to put up with abuse is something no health care worker gets paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,412 ✭✭✭✭road_high

hi! wrote: »

Neither did the many thousands of construction and engineering professionals that lost their jobs and have had to emigrate. Life isn't always fair (or in this case, what nurses and their union percieve as fair).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

mfitzy wrote: »
    Neither did the many thousands of construction and engineering professionals that lost their jobs and have had to emigrate. Life isn't always fair (or in this case, what nurses and their union percieve as fair).

And this is the nub of your idiotic argument: "that because things sometimes aren't fair, they shouldn't be fair at all. Lots of people in the private sector have lost money, so let the nurses suffer too."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,412 ✭✭✭✭road_high

osarusan wrote: »
    And this is the nub of your idiotic argument: "that because things sometimes aren't fair, they shouldn't be fair at all. Lots of people in the private sector have lost money, so let the nurses suffer too."

LOL. You do realise we are borrowing billions and billions just to keep the show on the road here (i.e. pay PS wages)? That's seems pretty IDIOTIC to me as we are going to have this all back plus interest. Clearly a sensible and non-idoitic arrangement to your good self though.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,907 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

LOL. You do realise we are borrowing billions and billions just to keep the show on the road here (i.e. pay PS wages)? That's seems pretty IDIOTIC to me as we are going to have this all back plus interest. Clearly a sensible and non-idoitic arrangement to your good self though.

Maybe if there were badly run down services and nobody to answer you're emergency calls if God forbid a loved one needed urgent help you would realise that your argument is very petty.
    The Govt and other political parties don't seem to mind too much how badly things are run down. After all they can afford to go abroad for their medical treatment.
    If we weren't paying other people's debts we would be in a better position but let's make sure the German gamblers are happy and to Hell with the sick and the nurses.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭brianthomas

When I seen the heading "NURSES" I ran in expecting something else. *slowly walks away*

Clondalkin in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

What do you think they are worth? What would you pay the following on entering the profession?

Nurses
    Fire service personnel
    Ambulance
    Garda
    Civil Engineer
    Doctor
    Minimum wage worker
    Average sales rep
    Middle management private sector

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭hi!

Odysseus wrote: »

Well to be fair, no matter how interested you are in a profession you never really know what it is like until you are in it.

People here seem to be happy to say that the abuse they encounter from patients is something that they should have been aware of prior to signing up. The nurses that used to be sent to me after an attack on a ward or in a clinic never knew the impact such an event could have on their ability to carry out their profession.

Having to put up with abuse is something no health care worker gets paid for.

Totally agree with you.I'm a student nurse & starting to realise the reality. What I mean is most nurses didn't think the only option would be doing the job for €22,000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭donkey balls

About 2/3 years ago my self and a friend decided to train as a EMT one level down from Paramedic this included a sh*te load of studying both theory&practical,After that you did a placement on a ambulance for a week before sitting the final exams well all I can say is that week was an eye opener for both us.
    Both of us would be tough enough lads but some of the things that we saw we could not do on a daily basis,People are always giving out about the sickness level within the HSE now considering young children& the old age are more susceptible to viruses why have a nurse come into work and to then spread what ever virus they have.
    Some time ago I my self was in an A&E dept and the abuse that nurses&doctors got was unreal,Lets face it in the private sector which I work in no company will tolerate verbal abuse never mind physical/emotional abuse.
    I also posted earlier in this thread about the amount of agency staff employed by the HSE has anyone including the govt not ask the question why are there so many agency nurses?
    Could there be someone making a nice few bob by using the agencies all the time when in actual fact its cheaper in the long term to hire directly,Also with the EU agency worker directive that came in to place Dec2011 which means that an agency employee has to get paid the same rate of pay as a full time staff member.
    Is the govt&HSE trying to get around this by using these new contracts so that the agency staff working at present will get paid what these new contracts are paying.
    I know for a fact that a globally recognized company let a load of their staff go and brought in new contracts for staff taking up employment on less $$$ even though the company has made some good profits,As the saying goes peanuts=monkeys and I've seen it in certain parts of the industry I work in.
    The last thing we need is people whether they be nurses/paramedics/fire services etc working for a crap wage and not being motivated in there job,Again I've seen it happen in the private sector were the employees don't give a flying f**k.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think we need to pay staff in hospitals ,gardai ,ambulance staff good wages,as they are dealing with people at their most vunerable, in possibly emergency situations.
    Look at the usa ,they pay teachers in public schools low wages, resulting in a low quality educational system.
    But at least they are recruiting nurses , many gardai are retiring , garda
    numbers are being cut.
    A nurse was on joe duffy,said some nurses will take a 2 year contract
    to get training and experience ,then work in the usa where wages for nurses are higher.
    There,s something wrong with the hse,
    there,s junior doctors,working 24hour, 36 hour shifts.That should not be necessary.How can you make complex technical decisions re patient care
    after working 15 hours straight.
    Under hse agreements drugs here are 2 or 3 times the price in other eu countrys.
    This country owes billions,
    a few hundred nurses pay, even if it was cut by 50 per cent won,t even
    reduce our debt by 0.1 per cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

What do you think they are worth? What would you pay the following on entering the profession?

Nurses
    Fire service personnel
    Ambulance
    Garda
    Civil Engineer
    Doctor
    Minimum wage worker
    Average sales rep

Nothing...don't you know we are broke, we are borrowing billions and billions just to pay PS workers.

The nasty vile sentiment towards average PS workers is sickening in the extreme. I'm fcuking sick to death of the same nasty cnuts who made big money in the boom now looking at the nurse or fireman thinking....cut their wage it's their fault we are in this mess Oh and ''don't you know your employer is broke'' gets me every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭the deftone

So apart from everyone arguing the point, what do people think will actually happen? Regardless of your views on the situation, how do you see it all playing out?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

not yet wrote: »
    Nothing...don't you know we are broke, we are borrowing billions and billions just to pay PS workers.

The nasty vile sentiment towards average PS workers is sickening in the extreme. I'm fcuking sick to death of the same nasty cnuts who made big money in the boom now looking at the nurse or fireman thinking....cut their wage it's their fault we are in this mess Oh and ''don't you know your employer is broke'' gets me every time.

1. I didn't make "big money" in the boom, I was in school and then college. There are different perspectives between people who disagree with you and many of us entered the full time workforce post-Celtic Tiger.

2. Who has said "it's their fault we are in this mess"? I haven't.

3. Your employer IS broke. I'm sorry if that's "gets you every time" but it's the fact of the matter. How can there not be cutbacks in the situation the country is in?

@thedeftone - I think the govt has to hold the line with this one or else it sets a precedent if they want to target graduates from different PS sectors afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,552 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

not yet wrote: »

But their employer is broke.

The only way the Gov can raise more money is to tax every worker in the country even more.

So apart from everyone arguing the point, what do people think will actually happen? Regardless of your views on the situation, how do you see it all playing out?

I have been saying this from day one, I coud be wrong however, I reay doubt I will ever see one of this nurses in my cinic.

I don't think people will take the positions, and the HSE will back down. Time will tell.

But their employer is broke.

The only way the Gov can raise more money is to tax every worker in the country even more.

Any idea how much of a tax increase would be needed to pay for these nurses?

The only people who are doing well in this God forsaken country are the politicians, ex-politicians who are now directors in the failed banks, the people at the head of the banks and the bondholders.

I would like to see a General Strike to bring the whole charade down and maybe then we could start again and get it right. Will we ever see any of the FF Government in court?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

I would like to see a General Strike to bring the whole charade down and maybe then we could start again and get it right. Will we ever see any of the FF Government in court?

If we do they'll probably have to face Paul ''Justice'' Carney. :mad:

• Advertisement

Nurses
    Fire service personnel
    Ambulance
    Garda
    Civil Engineer
    Doctor
    Minimum wage worker
    Average sales rep

Ah! Come on mfitzy

Ah! Come on mfitzy

It's easier for her to tell you what they're not worth.;)

It's easier for her to tell you what they're not worth.;)

I found her in the Irish economy forum lambasting the public sector on Croke park! She'll surely be here soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭donkey balls

As someone who has done agency work in the past and from what I heard from the manager were I was placed at,His company paid approx 40/50% of my hourly rate to the agency which would add up to approx €400/500 a week in a fee not including Vat.

I honestly don't know. I just got an e-mail stating the the HSE is looking for a new Chief Finanical Officer. Fair enough and I agree that people should be paid a fair wage for the job they do. However, we are stating that we can't afford to pay Nurses the agreed rate and this post is offering a wage of 172,495; I just can't agree with that.

Odysseus wrote: »
    I honestly don't know. I just got an e-mail stating the the HSE is looking for a new Chief Finanical Officer. Fair enough and I agree that people should be paid a fair wage for the job they do. However, we are stating that we can't afford to pay Nurses the agreed rate and this post is offering a wage of 172,495; I just can't agree with that.

They will tell you that they are getting that in the Private Sector. And they're right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

They will tell you that they are getting that in the Private Sector. And they're right.

How are they right? What private sector position are you comparing it to?

Here's the NHS rates for same position

Pay Range for
    Chief Finance
    Officer
    Level 3 Population at or over 500k £95 - £110k
    Level 2 Population between 150k – 499k £85 – £95k
    Level 1 Population at 149k or below £75 – £85k

Exchange rate : €172495= £146955

The irish counterparts are being more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

The deadline has been extended indefinitely now after a pathetic take-up of the scheme. The problem that the HSE has is that they've realised that they can't simply bully the grads into taking the positions but they can't be seen to back down either so they're between a rock and a hard place.
    Nurses have overwhelmingly boycotted a schemeto recruit 1,000 new nurses into our hospitals. It was personally humiliating for the minister, who championed the scheem and promised that the jobs would be easily filled.

In fact, only 80 young people applied for the 1,000 posts, despite the fact that 1,200, or 75pc of newly qualified nurses, are forced to emigrate each year.

The deadline for applying to the scheme, which had been fanfared by Dr Reilly as an opportunity for young nurses, passed yesterday with minimal take-up.

But the response was so poor that the Health Service Executive actually refused to disclose exactly how many applications it had received.

Sources suggested that as few as 40 had applied for the so-called "yellow pack" posts. Dr Reilly insisted it was "more than double that" but it would still put the take-up at about 80, or less than 10pc.

The HSE has now been forced to scrap any further deadlines for applications and instead opt for an open-ended recruitment process in a desperate last-ditch attempt to entice interest.

source

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Nurses have overwhelmingly boycotted a schemeto recruit 1,000 new nurses into our hospitals. It was personally humiliating for the minister, who championed the scheem and promised that the jobs would be easily filled.

The subeditor at the indo was probably on 20pc less as well.
    At least only a few words got mangled............ it not like someones life or health......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

The deadline has been extended indefinitely now after a pathetic take-up of the scheme. The problem that the HSE has is that they've realised that they can't simply bully the grads into taking the positions but they can't be seen to back down either so they're between a rock and a hard place.

source

Two people wrote that article and neither of them could spell 'scheme' correctly?!

Advertisement