Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nurses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

mountai wrote: »
    Who said my Son was mistreated??? . The reality is --- He is part of a system , its called "Free Market Economy". Yes , occasionally the market dips ,and this is where we find ourselves at the moment. Good to see the way Iceland is recovering from its "doomsday scenario" The US seems to be picking up also. The difference is --- In those countries , the "Wrong doers" are prosecuted and jailed. Even the PM of Iceland is being brought through the courts for "Missmanagment". All the talk about the "Crooked Bankers" being brought to book, before the election, has now been put to one side. "Public Service Reform" --- another phrase bandied about --- yes, lets see when THATS going to happen . Turkeys voting for Christmas-- When is there going to be ONE decent moral politician stand up and call it like it is???

BTW . My Son will not be put down by this. He will get up off his arse, dust himself down and give it his best shot. Thats what most people in the REAL WORLD do.

How would you apply the "Free Market Economy" to public hospitals and schools?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Site Banned Posts: 107 ✭✭big_joe_joyce

K-9 wrote: »

it would be naive to think schools or hospitals can go uneffected by a rescession

Some horrible clowns posting in this thread. Anyone who thinks its acceptable for nurses to start on such a low salary don't deserve to be treated in a hospital. For what they do even experienced nurses are paid much too little. Both my mother and sister are nurses and I have seen first hand how hard the job is yet idiots think it's acceptable to pay them near minimum wage.

Never mind that nonsense about people in the private sector this and people in the private sector that. Nurses deserve to be paid more than some average graduate behind a desk somewhere. Some posters just haven't a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

K-9 wrote: »

It can't be done; or if it is attempted in anyway we get threads like the one over the day charge of 75e being applied to patients and how that is wrong [which I do concur with]

Some horrible clowns posting in this thread. Anyone who thinks its acceptable for nurses to start on such a low salary don't deserve to be treated in a hospital. For what they do even experienced nurses are paid much too little. Both my mother and sister are nurses and I have seen first hand how hard the job is yet idiots think it's acceptable to pay them near minimum wage.

Never mind that nonsense about people in the private sector this and people in the private sector that. Nurses deserve to be paid more than some average graduate behind a desk somewhere. Some posters just haven't a clue.

who said they should earn minimum wage ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭mountai

Hope you are not "Punished" as I was for calling people "Horrible clowns"

FTA69 wrote: »

public sector workers do not earn similar wages to those in the private sector , thats an acknowledged fact , nothing crackpot about it , last figures show something like 30% of a pay differential

I don't think that can be applied to every type of public sector worker, to many disciplines, it is just a generalisation. Some earn more, some less.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Nursing is easier than most "average" graduate courses to qualify from, so why should they earn more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 kensie diablo

I personally think 80% is a kick in the teeth. I would recommend 90%. Afterall, the state has entirely subsidized their training.

And on top of that, most people would kill for a job in their chosen profession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Nursing is easier than most "average" graduate courses to qualify from, so why should they earn more?
    Excuse me? Please, pray tell how it's easier.

• Advertisement

who said they should earn minimum wage ?

It's not far off it when take into account the deductions from their salary.

It's not easier for a start and any grad job I ever see or have applied for in my area was closer to 30k than 20k and what graduate job first day in the door have you even a fraction of the responsibility of nursing.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭ZzubZzub

Ooooh tell me more! I'm just about to qualify as a nurse, would love to know how it's easier!

mountai wrote: »
    Odysseus, I see you are a moderator. Is it possible you could throw some light on the issue of me being censured for answering a post . Please and thank you.

As it has already been stated; I am just a poster here noting more nothing less. I can be infracted or banned by the mods of this forum if I'm out of line. PM the mod who actually infracted you is the best thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

The girlfriend is a Nurse, she works incredibly long days and deals with huge amounts of stress daily.

She often has to stay an extra 2 hours on top of her 12 that she's done just to finish her duties due to horrid lacks of staffing in the hospice where she works.

The ability of dealing with death on a daily basis is something I doubt I could take, I'm happy engineering away! But she does it, sometimes shes very upset with what has happened etc.

I don't know of a job more emotionally trying out there and I am sick to death of people hating on nurses. Anyone that ever ends up in one always changes there attitude towards nurses fairly quick I can tell ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

FTA69 wrote: »

public sector workers do not earn similar wages to those in the private sector , thats an acknowledged fact , nothing crackpot about it , last figures show something like 30% of a pay differential

Just a point but those figures you quote do not compare like with like. Generally those in the Public Sector would be much more highly qualified than the average qualification level in the private sector.

I really think it is crazy that people are against the idea of paying nurses fairly. By god, I'd be very concerned if a nurse looking after me is only earning €11 ph. For gods sake, you can get that amount working unskilled in a factory.

From seeing the crap nurses have to deal with they deserve every penny of their pay. You couldn't get me to become a nurse for a million euro.

Cian92 wrote: »

Just a point but those figures you quote do not compare like with like. Generally those in the Public Sector would be much more highly qualified than the average qualification level in the private sector.

I really think it is crazy that people are against the idea of paying nurses fairly. By god, I'd be very concerned if a nurse looking after me is only earning €11 ph. For gods sake, you can get that amount working unskilled in a factory.

From seeing the crap nurses have to deal with they deserve every penny of their pay. You couldn't get me to become a nurse for a million euro.

many clerical officers in the public sector have arts degrees yet earn significantly more than their office counterparts in the private sector , the advanced education status arguement is a bit of a red herring

many clerical officers in the public sector have arts degrees yet earn significantly more than their office counterparts in the private sector , the advanced education status arguement is a bit of a red herring

Any sources for that? What is the advanced education status agreement? What grade work these workers be; say any grade III CO's I know who not have a degree, maybe diploma or certs.

Odysseus wrote: »

Any sources for that? What is the advanced education status agreement? What grade work these workers be; say any grade III CO's I know who not have a degree, maybe diploma or certs.

my point is , possessing a degree is no guarentee of high pay , nor should it

its silly to believe that the public sector exceed the private sector in terms of pay because of the education differential

its silly to believe that the public sector exceed the private sector in terms of pay because of the education differential

Do you not think someone who has been educated further should be worth more to the workforce of their chosen profession?

Like someone who just done the leaving or someone with a L7 or L8 degree, there should be a difference, some people work hard for there education, including nurses.

Not only that but nurses have very mediocre pay at best for the hardship that they go through!

YbFocus wrote: »

Do you not think someone who has been educated further should be worth more to the workforce of their chosen profession?

Like someone who just done the leaving or someone with a L7 or L8 degree, there should be a difference, some people work hard for there education, including nurses.

Not only that but nurses have very mediocre pay at best for the hardship that they go through!

i dont think someone who works as a clerical officer should be paid more than a secretary in an accountancy firm just because they happen to have a degree in some humanities

nurses are well paid in this country by international standards , as are guards and teachers , the facts speak for themselves

• Advertisement

How come I'm quoted in the above post?

How come I'm quoted in the above post?

Thats really odd and not my doing man, cant understand why that happened :confused:

CO's do not get paid more if they possess the a degree, same in my area you you hold the min required qualifications that is it, you don't get anything extra for possessing further qualifications. I wish you could.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Average nursing pay (excluding new entrants) is circa 60k a year according to the hse. Hardly mediocre.

Thats really odd and not my doing man, cant understand why that happened :confused:

It gets worse, look at my post above.

i dont think someone who works as a clerical officer should be paid more than a secretary in an accountancy firm just because they happen to have a degree in some humanities

nurses are well paid in this country by international standards , as are guards and teachers , the facts speak for themselves

They are in fact in line with the likes of Uk when it comes to pay. I cant speak of the guards and teachers as I don't know about them.

Average nursing pay (excluding new entrants) is circa 60k a year according to the hse. Hardly mediocre.

This is not correct, I do not know any nurse earning that.

It gets worse, look at my post above.

Odd as hell, must be a special mod malfunction :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

INMO in talks
    SIPTU in talks

The nurses are going to make the same mistake others have made, multiple unions who can't achieve as much as one strong union

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

+1
    My mam earns more than that on the shop floor at Dunnes Stores!
    The nurses deserve everything they get imho and the nurses on the frontline deserve more respect for the work they do!

Advertisement