Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NURSING HOME

Options
  • 20-12-2012 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

what should i studie to gain a job in a nursing home any courses starting in janurary or february in dublin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

maesdavid wrote: »
    what should i studie to gain a job in a nursing home any courses starting in janurary or february in dublin

From what I've heard it's either nursing or grunt work appallingly paid and generally no qualifications. It might be different here from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

What sort of work do you want?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Dores

satisfactory Garda vetting (including vetting from other jurisdictions as
    appropriate)
    the receipt of two references (including a reference from the last place of
    employment)
    confirmation of identity
    confirmation of registration/validation of status, where applicable
    verification of all qualifications (for nurses this includes verification of
    registration on the active register of An Bord Altranais)
    exploration of gaps in employment

All nursing staff are, where possible, facilitated to undertake a relevant postregistration
    qualification in the nursing and care of older people.
    24.2 All newly recruited care staff and those in post less than one year commence
    training to FETAC Level 5 or equivalent within 2 years of taking up employment.

from: http://www.hiqa.ie/system/files/HIQA_Residential_Care_Standards_2008.pdf
    Section 5: Staffing

FETAC Level 5 (8 modules) including Care Skills (necessary) and Care of the Older Person, Palliative Care or similar modules.

Few places where you can study FETAC 5 in this area:

http://www.dorset-college.ie/Humanities/courses/course_details/?rid=29&cid=45

http://www.marinocollege.ie/further_education/nursing_health.htm

http://www.progressivecollege.com/Programmes/SchoolofPracticalHealthCare/tabid/96/Default.aspx

I just love this approach to care workers:

grunt work appallingly paid and generally no qualifications...

Would you like your health or life to be completely depending on someone with generally no qualifications ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Dores wrote: »
    I just love this approach to care workers:

grunt work appallingly paid and generally no qualifications...

Would you like your health or life to be completely depending on someone with generally no qualifications ?

Absolutely not which is why I find the whole thing rather troubling. My experience is from the UK - I hope it's different here but I suspect it's not too far removed.

I take it you've seen the various undercover reporting going on?

• Advertisement

I take it you've seen the various undercover reporting going on?

Some. But generally, I believe - maybe against the statistics, that things are getting better and there is more good than bad.

Sadly , only those "bad" appear in news, when there is so many care workers and places serving the highest standards of care every day for many years and nobody mentions their effort.

The attitude, that care workers are just "manual" workers with no qualification at all is probably the left over after many years when that was true. This can be also the reason why people do not demand better care in those places where standards are very low and which ones are subject to those shocking reports.

When I do not accept any justification for abuse or neglect, I also think that this is a very demanding job and with the recession and savings everywhere in some cases staff are pushed to their physical and psychological limits and that can end up very badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Laydee

maesdavid wrote: »

Fetac level 5 in Pre Nursing. I don't know about ones starting in December or January but if you wanted to start one in September I'd advise Colaiste Dhulaigh based on your other thread asking about nursing. They have a direct link to DCU and offer places to their top 10 students.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 The.Russian.one

Hi all. I have a FETAC 5 (full 8 modules) Community and Health Services Certificate, can I work as a carer in a nursing home? I also have a separate component certificate in Care skills BUT I don't have references as I have been unemployed for the last 4 years and my last employers do not exist anymore.

Thank you for replies!

Advertisement