Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have we all been assimilated into using Follow On Milk

Options
  • 20-12-2012 10:22pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

There's no escape, the guilt is overwhelming, radio ads, TV ads, I'm going to start drinking it myself just to be safe.

Luckily Cow & Gate, Aptimal & SMA are offering this life changing product for the giveaway price of just over €10 a tin.
    http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/search/default.aspx?notepad=follow%20on%20milk%20powder
    My only worry is that they develop a follow on follow on milk when it's time for the young ones to move up again.
    To think our generation only had ordinary natural milk from a cow, we are lucky to be here at all.

Now that's sorted I'm off to get me one of those automatic soap dispensers, the times we live in eh.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    There's no escape, the guilt is overwhelming, radio ads, TV ads, I'm going to start drinking it myself just to be safe.

Luckily Cow & Gate, Aptimal & SMA are offering this life changing product for the giveaway price of just over €10 a tin.
    http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/search/default.aspx?notepad=follow%20on%20milk%20powder
    My only worry is that they develop a follow on follow on milk when it's time for the young ones to move up again.
    To think our generation only had ordinary natural milk from a cow, we are lucky to be here at all.

Now that's sorted I'm off to get me one of those automatic soap dispensers, the times we live in eh.

lol..I'm drinking it right now! :D

I never bought it...just swapped to cow's milk when the time came...but you're right they're really going full metal jacket with the ads

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I'm dying for my little fella to turn one so I can stop making up bottles, it'll be cows milk for us from then on :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Ms2011 wrote: »
    I'm dying for my little fella to turn one so I can stop making up bottles, it'll be cows milk for us from then on :-)

Same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

That bloody scare-mongering ad about the amount of iron needed drives me nuts - they only need that much IF THEY ARE NOT EATING ANY FOOD!!!! Even if you drank that amount, your body wouldn't absorb it all. I don't know how they get away with it grrr :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Yep, a lot of it is total gimmick to get around the laws preventing advertising of first artificial milks. Totally unnecessary in most cases. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

My daughter just had her 1st baby. She went off today and paid nearly 10euro for a bottle of drops to up the babies calcium. She was told in the hospital to get them! I thought they got all the nutrients they need from breast/formula?? :confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Chucken wrote: »
    My daughter just had her 1st baby. She went off today and paid nearly 10euro for a bottle of drops to up the babies calcium. She was told in the hospital to get them! I thought they got all the nutrients they need from breast/formula?? :confused:
    Vitamin D drops maybe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭pushkii

apparently we don't get enough vit d in this country as babies because of lack of exposure to sunlight :O
    i really think the govt should provide these drops free of charge and put as much effort into advertising the need to give these drops regularly as they do into advertising follow on milk. no wonder the breastfeeding rates in Ireland are so low

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Vitamin D drops maybe ?

That's what I thought...?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Vitamin D drops maybe ?
    pushkii wrote: »
    apparently we don't get enough vit d in this country as babies because of lack of exposure to sunlight :O
    i really think the govt should provide these drops free of charge and put as much effort into advertising the need to give these drops regularly as they do into advertising follow on milk. no wonder the breastfeeding rates in Ireland are so low

Ah..that makes sense then :) I was wondering was it something she didnt need to get. Thats ok now.

Hmmmm..must get baby a passport and jet him off to Greece ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Follow on milk me arse! My wife insisted on breastfeeding our three kids. It worked very well for the first lad and he had little or no formula. Then he went onto normal enough food mashed up etc. We had twins after that and she kept up the breastfeeding for a good while there too.

One thing that sticks with me though, is how pushy the staff were in the hospital with regards to formula. If they saw the slightest problem with the feeding they would shove the formula in our faces. One of the twins was a bit sick to start with and as a result spent a few days in NICU. Well, what they didn't shove down his throat! They said he was under weight (despite being heavier than his sibling AND not taking into account that he was a breastfed baby so he was going to be lighter. They don't tell you that they refer to a formula fed chart and not a breastfed chart for weights!) and fed him till he was full and then fed him some more. I was apalled at this but they insisted on stuffing him silly. Now, six years later, he has a thing about stuffing his face! Connected? Hmm..
    Anyway, back at home my wife, suffice to say, was being sucked dry with the twins and....got sore, shall we say. So she had to take a break to recover. Enter formula.
    When she recovered she found she had stopped making milk and no matter how hard she tried she couldn't get it flowing again.
    The formula stayed and we found out that the once sick twin couldn't handle regular formula so there was this soy stuff which worked. But boy was i broke buying this crap. As soon as they were old enough i got them off formula. Man that rubbish annoys me.
    Sorry, that was a bit rantish. Merry Christmas to all!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

That bloody scare-mongering ad about the amount of iron needed drives me nuts - they only need that much IF THEY ARE NOT EATING ANY FOOD!!!! Even if you drank that amount, your body wouldn't absorb it all. I don't know how they get away with it grrr :mad:

I love* how on that ad in very teeny, tiny writing it says something like 'milk is not typically a good source of iron.' Um, no **** sherlock.

*I don't love it at all actually, it makes my blood boil.:mad:

pushkii wrote: »

to hell with the drops...I think they should supply us with a 6 week sun holiday :P all in the kid's best interests of course ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

shedweller wrote: »
    One of the twins was a bit sick to start with and as a result spent a few days in NICU. Well, what they didn't shove down his throat! They said he was under weight (despite being heavier than his sibling AND not taking into account that he was a breastfed baby so he was going to be lighter. They don't tell you that they refer to a formula fed chart and not a breastfed chart for weights!) and fed him till he was full and then fed him some more. I was apalled at this but they insisted on stuffing him silly.

This was exactly my experience as well (except my son was a healthy 8lb weight). I latched him on soon after he was born but he had an infection so he was taken to NICU where he was intencively fed 2 oz of formula every 3 hours regardless of whether he was hungry or not, one time I couldn't get the second oz into him so a nurse forced it in only for him to vomit both ozs back up, I got so upset seeing this :-(
    Anyway by the time my milk came in my son had been so stuffed with formula he had no interest in the breast. My biggest regret is not questioning things more & fighting my corner more but as a first time mum & emotionally & physically exhausted after a failed induction & subsequent emergancy c-section I didn't have to where-will-all to do this & just kinda got washed along with things :-(

And not that's my rant over ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I always thought the vit d thing was a bit of a swizz but I looked into it and Irish people and those from northern Europe don't get enough vit d during the winter months. It can lead to problens with osteoporosis and even depression. Think about how depressed people can get during the long winter months and it kind of makes sense.

I got the drops half price in a local pharmacy and when I remember I put them in my sons morning cup of milk. I don't stress about it. We shop in aldi and lidl and they don't sell the full fat super milk and I really don't want to add another supermarket into my weekly shopping which I hate doing as it is.

I wouldn't bother with drops from April to end October though.

As for follow-on milk yes it's a gimmick. A very clever one which tries to guilt parents into thinking the HAVE to give it to their toddlers. Strangely enough it doesn't exist in countries where the pharma companies can advertise formula for 0-6 month babies.

Ms2011 wrote: »

This was exactly my experience as well (except my son was a healthy 8lb weight). I latched him on soon after he was born but he had an infection so he was taken to NICU where he was intencively fed 2 oz of formula every 3 hours regardless of whether he was hungry or not, one time I couldn't get the second oz into him so a nurse forced it in only for him to vomit both ozs back up, I got so upset seeing this :-(
    Anyway by the time my milk came in my son had been so stuffed with formula he had no interest in the breast. My biggest regret is not questioning things more & fighting my corner more but as a first time mum & emotionally & physically exhausted after a failed induction & subsequent emergancy c-section I didn't have to where-will-all to do this & just kinda got washed along with things :-(

And not that's my rant over ;-)

after my second son was born, by emergency c section too...I felt so rotten...on my first baby they gave you a drip with morphine in it...but in two short years they'd stopped that and instead they pumped you full of morphine...which means you're vomitting for the day and evening after. so my son, who was a great feeder, was fed formula...which was okay by me...I was too ill to form a thought on it lol.

by day 3 my milk had come in and I was feeling much less precious and everyone was breastfeeding around me...so I thought you know what I'll give it a whack. so I asked the midwife and she said it was too late to start....I should have stuck to my guns and just gone ahead because he was such a great eater I'd say get would have been brilliant at it and it would have been so
    handy....but sure whats done is done...he's a year now and as healthy as an ox so it did him no harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yes, the follow-on milk is junk junk annoying junk. I must look up sales figures for it, I would love to know if people are falling for it. I really had to bite my tongue when I saw a girl i know who breastfed her baby up to 12 months wean onto follow-on milk. To my mind it was a complete change of stance...

They live in the back of beyonds though, so maybe getting fresh milk is tricky? I can only guess that having a stash of powdered milk is handy when you are a 30 minute drive to the nearest open shop. I remember when we dropped the formula, being vaguely annoyed at having to remember to keep milk in the house constantly, as we both work full time, eat at work, so there was never enough being consumed at home to justify buying it during the week.

On the vitamin drops, vit d has dropped right off even in summer with us all being so covered up to protect us from skin cancer. Those drops though, why in the name of goodness are they so strongly flavoured? I wonder what vitamin D actually tastes like, because the horrible aniseed they are masking it with makes me gag.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Rabidlamb wrote: »

Bad mammy here, never gave it to my 3 yr old:-) he's so smart, healthy, gorgeous, perfect already though, lol imagine if I had given it to him!?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

ariana` wrote: »
    Bad mammy here, never gave it to my 3 yr old:-) he's so smart, healthy, gorgeous, perfect already though, lol imagine if I had given it to him!?!

He'd have cured cancer & solved Einsteins Theory of Everything by now if you'd only given him formula.
    I feel your shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭movingsucks

I started giving my baby follow on milk at around six months. Don't intend to keep giving it to her after one though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

haha
    Neither of mine could take milk at 12 months so left them on formula until 18 months but the only reason was that it was better then them being sick.
    It appears my 22 year old is now able for very small amount of dairy though \o/ Nutramigen works out expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

Soon the crap they sell in France will hit our shelves... Follow up milk for bigger kids (it's called milk for school years or something like that), baby yogurts made with formula, then milk that is so enriched it only looks like milk. There is even one call "easy digest" and one for the elderly. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Nanazolie wrote: »
    Soon the crap they sell in France will hit our shelves... Follow up milk for bigger kids (it's called milk for school years or something like that), baby yogurts made with formula, then milk that is so enriched it only looks like milk. There is even one call "easy digest" and one for the elderly. :rolleyes:

shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

On the vitamin d issue, in the UK I was advised to just take the supplement myself and Sam should get it through my milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

Some experts do say that the growing up milk is better than cow's milk. Cow's milk is possibly the least adapted animal milk to humans, so it's not hard to imagine that there would be a controversy.... not that I'm leaning one way or another. A lot of people have problems with cow milk. When my daughter grows up I will try and give her goat's milk instead, at least for a couple of years. The trick is to find a brand that doesn't load the milk up with extra crap nobody needs.
    Talking about vit D, I got some for my daughter but I found the taste vile and saw that it had added sugar and a bunch of other stuff, additives, flavourings... Instead I got a small bottle from Boots, it has nothing but vit D, it's tiny, 6 months supply, only two drops a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭0ctober

I was actually about to start a thread on this! God those ads wreck my head, they should be banned. How they've got away with it so long I don't know. It's sickening to think that follow on milk is thought to be the norm now. As for the whole spin they have about the iron, baby should be able to get all their iron needs from an adequate weaning diet.

Also as an aside, I've noticed another very sneaky form of advertising. I'm breastfeeding my daughter, but when I was pregnant I signed up for emails from a certain formula company about my baby's development week to week. After she was born I continued to receive emails promoting their product. They also had info about breastfeeding as they have to be seen to be promoting it. However any time I clicked on the link in the email for an article on breastfeeding it brought me straight to an advertisement for the formula. Conveniently enough if I did the same for an article on bottle feeding it would bring me to the article. Gaaaahhh sneaky advertising makes me so angry!!! >:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Nanazolie wrote: »

Do they not already sell that here as 'growing up milk'? It's advertised as the next stage after the follow on stuff.

My daughter drinks follow on milk now but she has just turned one so once the box I have now is finished, it's onto the cows milk

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭0ctober

pwurple wrote: »
    On the vitamin drops, vit d has dropped right off even in summer with us all being so covered up to protect us from skin cancer. Those drops though, why in the name of goodness are they so strongly flavoured? I wonder what vitamin D actually tastes like, because the horrible aniseed they are masking it with makes me gag.

The BabyVitD3 brand of drops are good, they have no taste, no flavourings, sugar, additives etc. And you only need to give 2 drops rather than 5 like some other brands

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Do they not already sell that here as 'growing up milk'? It's advertised as the next stage after the follow on stuff.

My daughter drinks follow on milk now but she has just turned one so once the box I have now is finished, it's onto the cows milk

Ah. We are doomed...

I started my daughter on formula when she was 6 months, she couldn't digest it so had to spend a small fortune in soya and goat formulas. When she reached one I ditched the powder and bought her goat milk cartons (tastes vile but she liked it). For number 2, I didn't make that mistake seeing he was already a very pucky baby, I kept on breastfeeding until he was old enough to drink cow's milk from a carton. I don't even buy the fortified one, they have a very varied diet so the only supplements I give them is Vit D (my brother had rickets as a child caused by vit D deficiency) and omega 3 because they don't get fish often enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

lounakin formula is cows milk which heavily modified and processed. For that reason I started giving my son a little cows milk at 11 months.

If a 7-12 month old baby is on a reasonably broad diet they don't need follow on milk. If they're not then continue them on formula but the follow on stuff has nothing extra despite what the ads may have you believe.

If you think vit d drops taste awful then drink some formula :S

Advertisement