Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have we all been assimilated into using Follow On Milk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Ever tasted Aptamil 1yr plus it = dream topping

Birds_No_Added_Sugar_Dream_Topping_33g_62.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Nutramigen one is the worst smelling formula ever,it is terrible but we were happy to have it:)
    Soy formula is not recommended for a lot of reasons kids that are allergic to milk are often allergic to goats milk too.
    I may have to breast feed this child for a long time!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

My lo is 11 months still breastfed all he drinks is bm and water. Just wondering why people feel like they need either formula or milk (cows,goats etc) when baby is 1 and above? If you babe has a good varied diet then why is water not enough for fluid? Why do we feel like they need milk of some sort?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

lounakin formula is cows milk which heavily modified and processed. For that reason I started giving my son a little cows milk at 11 months.

If a 7-12 month old baby is on a reasonably broad diet they don't need follow on milk. If they're not then continue them on formula but the follow on stuff has nothing extra despite what the ads may have you believe.

If you think vit d drops taste awful then drink some formula :S

I know, and I'm not advocating formula at all, just saying that some paediatricians will tell you that formula is basically modified to suit human babies blablabla... Obviously many people use formula instead of cows milk so it must be slightly more adapted or thought to be so.

One of my friends from France gave her daughter that kind of milk because their doctor said it was... wait for it... BETTER than breastmilk.

Never tried formula... why, is it really awful tasting? Yeah the first vit D drops I got were aniseed flavoured and are supposed to be mixed with formula (I didn't read that part) but since my baby doesn't drink formula I just put the drops in her food... the entire portion tasted only of aniseed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭movingsucks

Hobbitfeet wrote: »
    If you babe has a good varied diet then why is water not enough for fluid? Why do we feel like they need milk of some sort?
    I thought it was to do with calcium for growing bones but maybe all those ads with dancing skeletons as a child were lying to me. My understanding is drinking milk is a good way to get a lot of calcium into a child.
    But then I never drank milk as a kid. Frigging hated the stuff. Coke all the way :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I thought it was to do with calcium for growing bones but maybe all those ads with dancing skeletons as a child were lying to me. My understanding is drinking milk is a good way to get a lot of calcium into a child.
    But then I never drank milk as a kid. Frigging hated the stuff. Coke all the way :D

Yeah, calcium, vit d, vit a, phosphorus, protein, fats, carbs. It's a decent enough multi-purpose food/drink combo. We like water too, but she loves her milk and dairy in general. First word was Cheese. Yoghurt or cheese is the preferred treat when given a choice.

I take her off it if for a few days a year when she has a cough or sniffle, just as I think the dairy stuff can make the stuffed-up feeling a bit worse.

I do often think the marketing for dairy products, must be some of the most intensive of any product. The yoghurt aisle in supermarkets is ridiculous. How have they all managed to differentiate themselves? We started to make our own at home and add mushy fruit when she started eating it (very The Good Life, I know, slightly morto admitting it) but there is nothing to it. it sits there and cultures, and then we add fruit. how are there so many yoghurt brands? Double sided aisle of yoghurts in my local supermarket, pure marketing magic that they can all survive. Cheese is the same. I am a cheeseaholic, never met a cheese I didn't like. But my god, there must be 30 different ways to buy just cheddar in the shops. PreSliced, grated, blocks, red, white, 4 different sized packs of each etc. It's all the same product!

The "follow on milk" must be another off-shoot of the same marketing thought. Let's sell the same thing, but make it be in slightly different packaging to hit a different demographic.

I guess I just don't get the thing people have with their child needing some sort of milk. I go from my own experiences I seeing my younger brother breastfeed till he was over 3 and then just been given water as a drink. I also worked as nanny for 2 boys in Norway, 1 was still being bf morning and evening at 13 months he ha water during day with me. The other boy was 16 months had stopped bf and had water was drink they were never given any kind of milk or formula. They had good diets and I guess that was enough for them.
    My lo has tough yet and cheese but no milk and probably won't I just think we don't need it. I'm not sure but I heard somewhere that the calcium and iron in milk is the hardest for our body to absorb and that dairy actually blocks the absorption of iron from our food?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I agree with you hobbitfeet. My son probably gets a max of 50 ml of milk per day. He gets a yoghurt maybe every 2nd day but I never really bought into the fixation with cows milk/follow on formula/dairy based foods in general as being an essential food group for toddlers.

He gets some but in moderation just like wheat products and red meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'd never buy follow-on milk, crazy. Plus formula milk always tasted very sweet to me, I'm guessing follow-on would be the same. Any benefit probably negated by the amount of sugar in them.

Mine were straight on to cows milk around their 1st birthday, never done them any harm.

Wouldn't buy Vitamin D either, they have very varied diets with plenty of fruit and veg, so I would hope they would get all they need from that.

Advertisers are only preying on new parents with these adverts, making you feel like you are neglecting your child if you don't buy them. A child shouldn't be on follow-on milk up til its 3rd birthday (think I seen Follow-On advertised as suitable up to 3yrs).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I guess I just don't get the thing people have with their child needing some sort of milk.

I think it's a cultural thing. Ireland has always had an abundant supply of high-quality cow's milk, so it's natural that it would be a big part of our diet and indeed many of our parents and grandparents would have been getting it from a far younger age than 6 months! It's also very nutritious. In other parts of the world other foods form a large part of kids' diets.

The yogurt thing drives me nuts too! It is so difficult to find a small tub of full-fat natural yogurt amongst the sea of diet, sugary and other added crap options in the yogurt aisle.

• Advertisement

It is very hard to get vit d from diet. We produce it from sunlight... We spend a lot more time indoors these days, and covered up when outdoors. That one I don't think is a gimmick.

But should you not get your requirement from your diet? I don't know for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭missis aggie

Vitamin D ( its not strictly vitamin in dietery) is produced when body is exposed to sun. Its artificial version is added to food ( like milk, cereals etc).
    And I agree that if your diet is well balanced there is no need for cows milk or modified cows milk. Calcium and all the vitamins can be found in plenty of food.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

We drink a lot of cows milk as the odds are we have evolved to. All other mammals and the majority of humans can't process lactose past childhood but about 7-5000 years ago humans in two areas of the planet (eastern Africa and north-west Europe) independently evolved mutations on the second chromosome (probably due to severe shortages of their regular food sources) allowing them to consume the milk of the ancestors of cows that they farmed and gain a lot of sustenance from it. It might seem strange that we drink the milk of another species, especially when in many other parts of the world it's not really done. But the reason for that is that the vast majority of us in this country carry the mutation that makes cows milk highly nutritious to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Mine was breastfed for 3 months. Aptamil 1 fir three months then follow on from 6 months to 12. She's ten months now. I plan on giving her cows milk when she's one. For me it's normal to drink milk so ill def give it to her.

I think it's a cultural thing. Ireland has always had an abundant supply of high-quality cow's milk, so it's natural that it would be a big part of our diet and indeed many of our parents and grandparents would have been getting it from a far younger age than 6 months! It's also very nutritious. In other parts of the world other foods form a large part of kids'

Yes it makes sense that it I cultural. I've been trying to do a bit of research about milk since this thread. It seems like the main reason for people giving milk is because its a good source of vit d and calcium..right?? Been looking for other sources of these and I found oily fish which is a much better source than milk. So maybe we should all be eating oily fish instead of drinking milk!! http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/8443773/The-best-natural-sources-of-Vitamin-D.html
    http://legacy.jyi.org/volumes/volume6/issue3/features/lee_and_wei.html

The main thing that keeps me away from dairy is the amount of hormones it contains and the effects of this on our bodies. It also seems like milk is actually not te best source of the vitamins we are drinking. It's a strange one as we are constantly being told milk/dairy is good for us so what's truth? Sorry if I've taken this a bit off topic :)

There is no "Instead". We eat plenty of oily fish too. Omnivores.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

iguana wrote: »
    On the vitamin d issue, in the UK I was advised to just take the supplement myself and Sam should get it through my milk.

Now why wasnt this suggested over here? It makes so much sense. I never managed to give him the drops because they made him puke, but I'll try to get the flavourless sugarless ones for him and try those instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Neyite wrote: »

Now why wasnt this suggested over here? It makes so much sense. I never managed to give him the drops because they made him puke, but I'll try to get the flavourless sugarless ones for him and try those instead.
    I took Vitamin D tablets when I was pregnant. It was recommended to me by one of the midwives in the hospital. Started them at the same time as my iron. Not sure if that's the same thing though, was it for both of us or just me, I don't know. I give my little man the Abidec drops and for some reason he loves them! :) the smell reminds me of something I used to use when I had a toothache!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Yes it makes sense that it I cultural. I've been trying to do a bit of research about milk since this thread. It seems like the main reason for people giving milk is because its a good source of vit d and calcium..right?? Been looking for other sources of these and I found oily fish which is a much better source than milk. So maybe we should all be eating oily fish instead of drinking milk!! http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/8443773/The-best-natural-sources-of-Vitamin-D.html
    http://legacy.jyi.org/volumes/volume6/issue3/features/lee_and_wei.html

The main thing that keeps me away from dairy is the amount of hormones it contains and the effects of this on our bodies. It also seems like milk is actually not te best source of the vitamins we are drinking. It's a strange one as we are constantly being told milk/dairy is good for us so what's truth? Sorry if I've taken this a bit off topic :)
    I grew up on "cows milk" and by that i mean it sometimes still had heat from the cow that made it! I remember pouring it on my breakfast and seeing the cream stay on top of the cereal! Feck all hormones on that i tell ya! Ah fond memories. Now my bones are like wolverines they weigh so much. And i dont remember visiting the doctor either. Now, with my kids i'm on a first name basis with the doctor. Owning a cow might be cheaper!

• Advertisement

shedweller wrote: »
    I grew up on "cows milk" and by that i mean it sometimes still had heat from the cow that made it! I remember pouring it on my breakfast and seeing the cream stay on top of the cereal! Feck all hormones on that i tell ya! Ah fond memories. Now my bones are like wolverines they weigh so much. And i dont remember visiting the doctor either. Now, with my kids i'm on a first name basis with the doctor. Owning a cow might be cheaper!

Yes I think unpasteurised is going to be much better for you alright but that time is long gone when the majority drank it straight from cow. Dairy is big business these days and artificial hormones given to dairy cows has increased along with gm food they are eating the only thing you could do to avoid this is buy organic.
    Pwurple I know we are omnivores but what I meant was maybe more people should give their children more oily fish instead of milk. I personally don't it much if an oily fish, white fish yes but not oily so that is something I'm going to try to change after reading how high in calcium and vit d it is. Wondering how many if you eat oily fish regularly? Give it to your children regularly? Or know people who give it regularly?

Where are you from hobbitfeet?

I can only speak for us, but we love our oily fish. If you don't eat it, you really should, you are missing out on deliciousness! We have smoked mackerel on toast or crackers for breakfast and snacks. such a handy thing to have in the fridge. We fish off the beach in late summer with my uncle for mackerel and bbq it there with a disposable bbbq. straight out of the sea. So yummy. Mackerel season is up there with pancake tuesday in our family for favourite food times of year.

All of my family have always eaten oily fish as children, and feed it to our own now. Most of my close friends would be the same. I know some people who don't touch any fish. Avoiding any food group always seems like madness to me though.

Anchovies or sardines on pasta, pizza, salads, stuffed into the middle of delicious olives. Salmon or trout for dinner on weekends when we can go to the fishmarket during the day. Frank hedderman in cork city old english market does the most amazing hot smoked salmon you are ever going to taste. It is fantastic. That on a homemade pizza, with some fresh chopped chillis, and a dollop of creme fraiche to dunk the crust in... Right, that might have to be christmas eve dinner. :D

Ireland has such amazing dairy industry with a great reputation, and we have so much coastline for fresh fish. We really are so lucky to have so many good fresh local things on our doorstep. I am not including the follow-on-milk in that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I think you're an exception pwurple. Most Irish people don't eat a lot of oily fish. We try to eat salmon once a week. I'm very funny about mackerel. I love it straight from the sea but wouldn't buy it from the supermarket. I love trout but it's hard to get non farmed. I love herrings too but again they're hard to get. Going completely off topic now but you've reminded me to go to Howth in the new year and stock up on fish!

Hobbitfeet fish cakes are a great way of sneaking fish onto a plate for adults (my husband!) as well as kids.

We did baby led weaning as we started at 6 months so he had a pretty varied diet from the start. It didn't stop him being fussy but it meant he was eating meat and fish from early on so I never saw any need to supplement his diet with follow on milk. He had breast milk until 11/12 months, he had water in between milk feeds and from 11 months he had cows milk (in small amounts).

I can't see how follow on milk would've given him a thing additional nutritionally. He wasn't sick until 12 months so he was getting everything he needed from his food and reduced breastfeeds.

I'm from Ireland Sligo. I have given tinned mackerel and sardines to my lo he loved I for awhile and then went off it haven't given him any now for a few weeks so its something ill put back on my shopping list :) I have had smoked mackerel a few times at weddings for a starter and it wa delicious so I bought some bit it just wasn't as good!! We do it salmon and whit fish and lots of grains, seeds and legumes if say my lo has a great diet and lots of breastmilk!!
    I think sometimes I worry to much about what's added to our food and. How its produced. If I can get it organic and local I do maybe I need to worry a little less but I can't help it definitely got worse while pregnant and after my boy was born

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

We never used formula. Son is now 27months and 31/2 feet tall....seriously

I wouldn't worry too much about the organic hobbitfeet. Non organic isn't as bad as we are being led to believe at all. I have been on a couple of organic farms and I wouldn't touch what they produce. E coli central. I would take fresh local veg from a normal farm with the odd bit of 10 10 20 in the soil over weeks old imported half rotten organic veg coated with chicken excrement and rat piss. Organic is as gimmicky as the follow on milk to me.

My little 'un used to eat a fair bit of tinned boneless sardines, then went off it.

He hadn't eaten any in about 6 months and I opened him a tin the other day for lunch and he polished off the whole tin in record time.

Have to totally disagree with you on the organic front there is a huge difference in nutritional quality. Watched an episode of river cottage where they took normal chicken, corn fed and organic and had the nutritional % investigated by food scientist (sorry cant remember technical name for them) and there was a massive difference in composition of chicken the organic had much higher levels of omegas than the normal one which was mostly fat. Organic is te only way I ensure no gm also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Have to totally disagree with you on the organic front there is a huge difference in nutritional quality. Watched an episode of river cottage where they took normal chicken, corn fed and organic and had the nutritional % investigated by food scientist (sorry cant remember technical name for them) and there was a massive difference in composition of chicken the organic had much higher levels of omegas than the normal one which was mostly fat. Organic is te only way I ensure no gm also

yes would have to agree with this. I would much prefer organic to non organic when it comes to meat. vegetables I'm not so fussyabout but I will always get organic meat when I can.

• Advertisement

Yes meat and dairy and eggs is the most important organic for me too. Veg with tough skin eg squash is not so important organic as its not as east for pesticides to be absorbed into the flesh we eat. I am lucky my mum has an extensive veg garden all organic :)

Advertisement