Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin 15 Pet Peeves

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

One of those "Sell bags of clothes" places is opening there beside the new dry cleaners where bikes & babes was in Mulhuddart today.
    It says they'll give ya 15e per bag of clothes (i assume this is a black bag...)

Can see why its profitable to collect clothes for charidee if they get 15e a bag for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Definitely the worst thing is how the 38 bus route changes at certain times during the day, I think it's from 4-6. I have to walk an extra 5 minutes to another bus stop!

One of my biggest pet peeves though, is the fact that the Corduff Inn still exists. It is the biggest eye-sore in the world!! In fact, they should level all the corduff shops (including the appartments) and just leave one huge Centra and the Pharmacy. It's all anyone needs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Polar101

Definitely the worst thing is how the 38 bus route changes at certain times during the day, I think it's from 4-6. I have to walk an extra 5 minutes to another bus stop!

For me the worst thing is that change only applying to peak hours. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

The worse thing on top of the 38 is the lotto of will it turn left out of Castlecurragh like it is meant to , or will i go straight into Corduff like it isn't meant .

After missing a bus and having to wait half an hour for the next one , I just started to get the bus in Castlecurragh to be sure .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

jeffk wrote: »
    The worse thing on top of the 38 is the lotto of will it turn left out of Castlecurragh like it is meant to , or will i go straight into Corduff like it isn't meant .

After missing a bus and having to wait half an hour for the next one , I just started to get the bus in Castlecurragh to be sure .

The 38 still goes through Corduff no? Any 38 I've ever been on only goes through Corduff with the exception of some peak ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

January wrote: »
    The 38 still goes through Corduff no? Any 38 I've ever been on only goes through Corduff with the exception of some peak ones.

yes thats it , sorry for the confusion im using my phone to reply .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Little Or no Late bars in D15

ronan45 wrote: »
    Little Or no Late bars in D15

The greyhound is a late bar but its always packed :/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

The greyhound is a late bar but its a kip :/
    FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

My pet peeve is the unjustified reputation D15 seems to have.

As a sheltered Southsider that recently now spends nearly everyday out there, I must say I was pleasantly surprised at the area. Ok Corduff looks a bit rough but the rest of the place around the Shopping Centre area looks nice.

An other thing is that you are far more likely to see undesirables around Dun Laoghaire and its shopping center area than you would in Blanchardstown. Dun Laoghaire is suppose to be a nice middle class coastal town but has been overtaken by drug addicts and ghastly looking people. I dont see these type of people when im in Blanch Shopping center and the surrounding areas. Even the clientele on the buses are of higher stock.

I just cant see where this reputation has come from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

As a sheltered Southsider that recently now spends nearly everyday out there, I must say I was pleasantly surprised at the area. Ok Corduff looks a bit rough but the rest of the place around the Shopping Centre area looks nice.

An other thing is that you are far more likely to see undesirables around Dun Laoghaire and its shopping center area than you would in Blanchardstown. Dun Laoghaire is suppose to be a nice middle class coastal town but has been overtaken by drug addicts and ghastly looking people. I dont see these type of people when im in Blanch Shopping center and the surrounding areas. Even the clientele on the buses are of higher stock.

I just cant see where this reputation has come from.

I agree. I'm a born and bred southsider and I bought a house in D15 in 2004 because it was a) within my budget; and b) handy for commuting to work. I realise that there are parts of D15 that would be classed as socially deprived, but you'll find them on the southside too. And as someone who grew up a couple of miles from Dun Laoghaire, I can confirm that it's a complete and utter kip that has been slowly dying on its feet for the last 15 years. It was a nice town once, but now I avoid it unless I really have to go there.

Now if D15 could only get a few (or even one) decent pubs I'd be a happy man. Even Dun Laoghaire has better pubs than here.

dodzy wrote: »
    FYP

Best of a bad lot though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Lack of good pubs in D15 is true. When I am home I go to Mulligans down in Stoneybatter. I would rather drink there than any bar in D15.

Years ago we would have been to the Bell almost every weekend but now it would be once a year to the bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

I live in Clonee and hop on the 70 down to Walshes in Stoneybatter for a pint. Only takes 10 mins. Cracking pub.

I live in Clonee and hop on the 70 down to Walshes in Stoneybatter for a pint. Only takes 10 mins. Cracking pub.

Its getting home thats the problem :p

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Its getting home thats the problem :p

Last 70 passes at about 11.45, home and all by midnight!

Last 70 passes at about 11.45, home and all by midnight!

ha ha you have discipline.

ha ha you have discipline.

That I don't. Manys the taxi I've got home after the best of intentions in getting the last 70!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

Lack of good pubs in D15 is true. When I am home I go to Mulligans down in Stoneybatter. I would rather drink there than any bar in D15.

Not only is Mulligans a lovely pub/restaurant but they also have an amazing variety of foreign/craft beers to try. They don't serve the bland mass market usuals Heiniken, Guinness, Bud, Carlsberg etc.

Last time I was in there I was drinking Aspalls Cider on draught (E5 -5.50) a pint. No comparison with Bulmers which it leaves in the 1/2d place.

As for getting the last bus home. I never managed that. It must take iron willpower.

Murt10 wrote: »
    Not only is Mulligans a lovely pub/restaurant but they also have an amazing variety of foreign/craft beers to try. They don't serve the bland mass market usuals Heiniken, Guinness, Bud, Carlsberg etc.

Last time I was in there I was drinking Aspalls Cider on draught (E5 -5.50) a pint. No comparison with Bulmers which it leaves in the 1/2d place.

As for getting the last bus home. I never managed that. It must take iron willpower.

Yeah true. Good food and beer and relax atmosphere. I don't mind paying the taxi fare home for that extra choice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

The amount of people fools driving from the centre past LIDL to Huntstown/Hartstown who cross over the white line into on coming traffic (me!).

While driving but especially turning into Whitestown at the two turn ins and also Huntstown Wood is a major problem -

I was driving in my lane towards the centre today and a car coming in the opposite direction was turning into Huntstown Wood the driver fool drives half a meter onto my side of the road to wait to turn in :confused:

I had to slam on the brakes quick check of the passenger side mirror and go into the bus lane - if a bus was beside me I'd have crashed head on. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

dickwod1 wrote: »
    The amount of people fools driving from the centre past LIDL to Huntstown/Hartstown who cross over the white line into on coming traffic (me!).

While driving but especially turning into Whitestown at the two turn ins and also Huntstown Wood is a major problem -

I was driving in my lane towards the centre today and a car coming in the opposite direction was turning into Huntstown Wood the driver fool drives half a meter onto my side of the road to wait to turn in :confused:

I had to slam on the brakes quick check of the passenger side mirror and go into the bus lane - if a bus was beside me I'd have crashed head on. :mad:

If you are coming out of centra car park and turn right towards hartstown, the road markings can be deceiving for non locals, trust me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

dodzy wrote: »
    If you are coming out of centra car park and turn right towards hartstown, the road markings can be deceiving for non locals, trust me.

Yeah I know that it needs more directional arrows,But I'm not talking about people turning onto the road I'm on about people driving along the road with there right tyre on my half of the road particularly when turning right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

People who use their front garden and footpath and roadside and grass verge as a car repair shop for multiple piles of crap they have.

Cars mainly left hand drive and groups of bald men in track suit bottoms, leather jackets and shoes standing by looking into the engine bay. Fcuk off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

We had ONE bookshop in D15, Borders. Now we have none. That's quite sad considering the demographics of the area.

Easons?
    Roselawn shopping centre?
    Blanchardstown village?

Three I can think of.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Easons?
    Roselawn shopping centre?
    Blanchardstown village?

Three I can think of.

To be honest, I wouldn't put any of them in the same category as Borders. Due to their size they can only carry limited stock that wouldn't appeal to many people.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I have to agree with Zaph there, they are not bookshops worthy of spending time browsing in which is usually what i do before making a purchase. It is rare that I go into a bookshop with a specific book in mind. Would love a nice, big bookshop in Blanch! The choice even in Eason's is very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

miamee wrote: »
    I have to agree with Zaph there, they are not bookshops worthy of spending time browsing in which is usually what i do before making a purchase. It is rare that I go into a bookshop with a specific book in mind. Would love a nice, big bookshop in Blanch! The choice even in Eason's is very poor.

Blanch has one of the best libraries in Dublin though (largest in Ireland)...
    They are fairly active on twitter here (link) and run some good free events every while (genealogy etc)...

“Roll it back”

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

ozmo wrote: »
    They are fairly active on twitter here (link) and run some good free events every while (genealogy etc)...

Thanks for reminding me. I really should get back to the library, used to be a very active member. Saves me money too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

ozmo wrote: »
    And (like any library in the country), if you find a book in another Irish library (by searching BorrowBooks.ie) you can order it so that you can borrow it from your local library.

Advertisement