Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin 15 Pet Peeves

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

dicky82 wrote: »
    Sunday cyclists cycling two and thee a breast on back road between Clonsilla and Lucan bridge.

Oh Jeebus that infuriates me! Just in a general sense, I'm actually not too upset at cyclists per se...but you often see people cycling along, sometimes there are cyclists going in BOTH directions, with a queue or about 15 cars behind them who can't pass :) Of course they are perfectly entitled to cycle that road, and more power to them, as I am too lazy to get out on a bike myself, but still....grrrrrrr...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Larbre34 wrote: »
    the housing builds around Clonsilla and Ongar will start up again within the year, the last of the greenery should be gone within 2.

Got a source on that? Who is building, and what are they building, where?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'm a consultant planner, Im familiar with the goings-on in the market and increase in planning application activity among clients. Given the desire of the government and NAMA to release funds for viable housing schemes in areas of demand and the recent stats about the shortage of supply in Dublin, it is very likely that a number of shovel ready schemes in D15 will start moving again in 2014. I havent trawled Fingal CoCo to check the expiry of permissions or receipt of commencement notices but its a logical supposition to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Many of the ghost estates are being brought up to code and finished off.
    Very hard to get a plumber or a sparks atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I would imagine the remaining idle houses in Barnwell Hansfield would be sold off soon and additional building commencing imminently now that the new Hansfield train station is now open. For once the real estate agents wouldn't have to lie about a train station on your doorstep!

PS - to keep on topic, I'm actually trying to think of a D15 pet peeve and I honestly can't. Not bad for a blow in of 8 years and it must mean I like the place. :) Okay, just one, it's distance from the city centre. I hate the cost of a taxi fare from town after a night out (really inflates the cost of going out).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

ongarboy wrote: »
    PS - to keep on topic, I'm actually trying to think of a D15 pet peeve and I honestly can't. Not bad for a blow in of 8 years and it must mean I like the place. :) Okay, just one, it's distance from the city centre. I hate the cost of a taxi fare from town after a night out (really inflates the cost of going out).

Nitelink is your friend :) 70N from Westmoreland St...it means you have to make sure you keep an eye on the time, but you can't beat it for €5.70!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    Nitelink is your friend :) 70N from Westmoreland St...it means you have to make sure you keep an eye on the time, but you can't beat it for €5.70!

Now all they need to do is run it on a Wednesday and Thursday night and I'd be sorted! :L

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Why doesn't every estate have it's own set of bottle banks or why isn't there a glass collection. Not everyone has a car to be lugging glass around in.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭dicky82

Lucky for you you dont live in a midlands town thats half derelict. Dont worry the housing builds around Clonsilla and Ongar will start up again within the year, the last of the greenery should be gone within 2.

Definitely not looking for the green areas to be concrete but site fencing and unusable scaffold planks, rotting blue hoarding, huge mounds of topsoil etc are eyesores. They should be made level them and let nature take over, wild flowers, blackberry bushes all would be a much nicer back drop than what's there. Oh I should say that I'm not suggesting they level the old school.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭dicky82

ongarboy wrote: »
    I would imagine the remaining idle houses in Barnwell Hansfield would be sold off soon and additional building commencing imminently now that the new Hansfield train station is now open. For once the real estate agents wouldn't have to lie about a train station on your doorstep!

Most taxis will take you to d15 for a prearranged fixed rate. Just ask them before you set off. You'll be surprised how. Many taxis would rather the €20 than sitting on a rank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Morag wrote: »
    Why doesn't every estate have it's own set of bottle banks or why isn't there a glass collection. Not everyone has a car to be lugging glass around in.

+1 I have still NO idea why Spar in Waterville don't have a bottle bank to the right of their shop. I stock up my glass in a massive IKEA bag and drive down to the one in Superquinn,where I inevitably then buy stuff.

There must be a logical reason why shops/estates don't have more bottle banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Morag wrote: »
    Litter.
    Glass is not collected by recycling companies as it would need another bin. You cannot put glass in with other stuff because broken glass would "contaminate" the rest of the bin (this is the reason a recycling company gave me many years ago).

Laurel Lodge shopping centre used to have bottle banks but they were removed an number of years ago.
    The bottle bins at Porterstown Park always have lots of litter around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Have to say the N3 in the mornings from Clonee to the M50 are terrible between 7:30am and 7:45am.

I know its not a major issue but I hate how slow it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Have to say the N3 in the mornings from Clonee to the M50 are terrible between 7:30am and 7:45am.

I know its not a major issue but I hate how slow it is.

I've given up on it. Gone back to going cross country

dicky82 wrote: »
    Most taxis will take you to d15 for a prearranged fixed rate. Just ask them before you set off. You'll be surprised how. Many taxis would rather the €20 than sitting on a rank.

I ALWAYS do this. Open the front door of the cab and ask will you go to Clonee for 20. Might take 3 or 4 cars but you'll always get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I've given up on it. Gone back to going cross country

I was thinking about that as I goto Swords. I used to go the backroads for years but stopped it when the roads were finished.

Suppose a good reason to stop at The Roastry for a coffee in the mornings on the way to work:)

The N3 can be poor for short periods, and especially on mornings like those this week, but compared to how it was pre-2010 its a dream generally. I would save yourself the fuel and wear on your car and avoid the back roads, some of them are in a rough state. You might as well crawl in traffic for 15 mins as spend the same 15/20 mins trying to get back to the M50 another way

New Pet Peeve. The length of time it takes a 70N to get to outer D15 when you have a few lagers on board and the seal is well broken! :o

New Pet Peeve. The length of time it takes a 70N to get to outer D15 when you have a few lagers on board and the seal is well broken! :o

Man i know that feeling! A form of torture :(

The N3 can be poor for short periods, and especially on mornings like those this week, but compared to how it was pre-2010 its a dream generally. I would save yourself the fuel and wear on your car and avoid the back roads, some of them are in a rough state. You might as well crawl in traffic for 15 mins as spend the same 15/20 mins trying to get back to the M50 another way

Takes me a similar amount of time, maybe a few mins longer (i'm heading to the N7) and i dodge the toll. I'd rather be moving cross country than crawling. Just hate sitting in traffic jams.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

To be fair if you even wanted to you could head out the new n2-n3 link road to the n2 and join the M50 to get to Swords that way... The back roads around here aren't that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Road closures around Phoenix Park on weekends. Usually marathons when we can't drive into Chapelizod from Castleknock. Also last weekend Lucan was closed so when you come off the N4 after Woodies you had to divert. A few signs wouldn't go amiss.

/rant over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

But the marathon only happens once a year.

There are numerous fun runs, half marathons, walks etc that close the roads around/through the Phoenix Park every year.

But only one marathon. For all the rest, bar the marathon and the half, they're confined to the park itself so don't really have an affect if you want to drive from Castleknock to Chapelizod.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

This is very trivial, granted, but there's something getting my goat up every time I pass it. An advertising/promo billboard outside Paidi Og's aka The Shanty pub that reads

"Were The Fun People Go"

Sorry but if you're going to splash out on something like that, please get the spelling correct!

Never even noticed that, will have to have a look next time I'm passing!

Omackeral wrote: »
    This is very trivial, granted, but there's something getting my goat up every time I pass it. An advertising/promo billboard outside Paidi Og's aka The Shanty pub that reads

"Were The Fun People Go"

Sorry but if you're going to splash out on something like that, please get the spelling correct!

In the carpark of Hollystown golf course they have signs saying "Your on camera".

Where is Paidi Og's

• Advertisement

Mulhuddart Village.

Advertisement