Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

just received a message from xbox live

Options
  • 21-12-2012 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

As said just got a message bout backing up security codes from Xbox live did any1 else get 1 want to know if real it was sent to my messages on Xbox

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

It's real. Rumours abound that everyone will have to manually sign in to their accounts again soon. This is their way or preempting the ****storm that will follow from all the guys who have auto-sign in and no idea what their passwords are.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭gotthebug

Thanks man

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

fake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Not near my xbox so can't check but I got a message, something to do with setting up 2 level account security, like having an alternative email address / phone number on your account for recovery.

If it's the same one it's legit, nowhere in the message were you asked to reveal info to its sender or anything dodgey like that, just to go to xbox.com and update with additional account recovery details, pretty standard now over all of MS services, for example when accessing billing on xbox.com or other MS services like for windows 8 it will send you a text to your phone with a code that must be entered to proceed, a positive move by them imo a little late in many cases of folks who had accounts stolen but end users have a share of the blame in some cases.

Arawn wrote: »
    fake

Based on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭derm0j073

This is their way or preempting the ****storm that will follow from all the guys who have auto-sign in and no idea what their passwords are.
    That would be me so .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Got the same message about setting up two level security or something. It said to go to the account settings & click some option to set it up. I clicked it & got a message saying my console has no live id or some other nonsense. No time today to deal with XBL headaches, setting it all up was enough of a nuisance for me.

How can they be fake messages, if there's a new option added into the account security tab on the dash?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

I work in Xbox Support. It's real. Its there so people have at least two means of recovering their passwords. A huge ammount of people don't know their passwords and they think we can see them. When we try resetting the password some times the morons put the email of the email they forget the password for as a recovery email.

the morons put the email of the email they forget the password for as a recovery email.

Nice attitude. From someone who is A+ certified, have been building pc's for years, have all kinds of experience with networking & fault finding...let me just say that setting up a kids Xbox Live account for the first time is an absolute confusing mess. From having to set up guardian accounts, multiple emails, multiple passwords, credit cards, profile security, family settings...its one massive headache.

So before you start branding people morons for losing track of what their doing, don't forget how convoluted the registration system & initial setup is.

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    Nice attitude. From someone who is A+ certified, have been building pc's for years, have all kinds of experience with networking & fault finding...let me just say that setting up a kids Xbox Live account for the first time is an absolute confusing mess. From having to set up guardian accounts, multiple emails, multiple passwords, credit cards, profile security, family settings...its one massive headache.

So before you start branding people morons for losing track of what their doing, don't forget how convoluted the registration system & initial setup is.

I was referring to people that get hot-headed at agents for their own lack of competence. I know it's tough setting accounts but a huge number of people rush through the process, filling out wrong information or none at all and it comes back to bite them in the ass. I don't feel any sympathy for anyone that gets irate at me because they didn't set their security up. I'm a great, friendly agent that will bend over backwards and bend the rules for customers if I can it's just the minority. I should have stated that in my previous post. I didn't want to cause offence to anyone.

I was referring to people that get hot-headed at agents for their lack competence. I know it's tough setting accounts but a huge number of people rush through the process, filling out wrong information or none at all and it comes back to bite them in the ass. I don't feel any sympathy for anyone that gets irate at me because they didn't set their security up. I'm a great, friendly agent that will bend over backwards and bend the rules for customers if I can.

I've worked in customer service myself, it can be a soul destroying job I agree. But I nearly had a stroke last Xmas trying to set it all up. I noted everything down in a text file & have it drop boxed to be sure. I can sympathize with those who get confuddled by it, but getting irate at customer service staff is like shooting yourself in the foot...you just shouldn't do it

I've worked in customer service myself, it can be a soul destroying job I agree. But I nearly had a stroke last Xmas trying to set it all up. I noted everything down in a text file & have it drop boxed to be sure. I can sympathize with those who get confuddled by it, but getting irate at customer service staff is like shooting yourself in the foot...you just shouldn't do it

Yeah it's tough. I don't agree with some of the way the Microsoft Accounts system is set up. By the sounds of it, you had to set up a profile for your kids or someone under 18. The parental account set up can be a nightmare. Somethings have been more simplified but I know where you are coming from. It can still give the most tenured agents headaches some times.

I totally agree but I do get satisfaction from helping people, especially when they're really nice. :)

By the sounds of it, you had to set up a profile for your kids or someone under 18. The parental account set up can be a nightmare. Somethings have been more simplified but I know where you are coming from. It can still give the most tenured agents headaches some times

Yep it was his first time going on Live so I had to set it all up. Was then told I had to set up a guardian account etc...it wasn't intuitive at all, & was quite a headache

Child accounts are crucial if you are going stick a credit card on your account to pay a monthly sub. Imagine giving your kid unlimited access to your credit card on Xbox Live :eek: They'd have the best dressed avatar in the land.

Child accounts are crucial if you are going stick a credit card on your account to pay a monthly sub. Imagine giving your kid unlimited access to your credit card on Xbox Live :eek: They'd have the best dressed avatar in the land.

I wasn't even storing my cc info, I just needed to use it to verify I was who I said I was!

So do I need to do anything with this new two step process, or can I leave the accounts as are. My son uses a usb stick to roam between two different consoles...

I wasn't even storing my cc info, I just needed to use it to verify I was who I said I was!

So do I need to do anything with this new two step process, or can I leave the accounts as are. My son uses a usb stick to roam between two different consoles...

If you added a CC to verify that you are an adult, you should be able to add remove it. You can also set Parental Controls. If you go to the support section of Xbox.com you can see a step by step guide to setting that up. Basically you can control the amount of time they're allowed on the console and limit the content or type of games they play.

basically you can control the amount of time they're allowed on the console and limit the content or type of games they play.

Tried that, but the clock doesn't reset when the next day arrives for some reason. Another headache, so I just turned off the feature & use my router to control the time the console has acccess to the net instead

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

yeah, got that message too. No reason to think it's not legit.

Advertisement