Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightclub insurance cover patron theft??

Options
  • 21-12-2012 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

I'm unsure as to what forum to put this query into, mods please move if inappropriate.

I was out last week when my bag with my iPhone 5, camera, money and make up was stolen. The property was worth about €900 in total. All my information on the phone from work, gone. I had the phone only insured for damage, not loss and theft. Ive blacklisted the phone and tried the Find my iPhone app but as the phone was off, it was in discoverable. I spoke to the manager and had a search of the club the following morning but to no avail. I also asked the guards if it was handed in. Im unsure as what I should do next, would the premises insurance cover it. There are no signs up around the club stating that any loss or theft is at patrons risk??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

No it wouldnt. why should it? You should have been aware of where your own possessions were at all time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

You had to specify that the phone in your handbag was an iphone 5 because....?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

dahamsta wrote: »

id imagine to quantify the price of it.

Get over it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

dahamsta wrote: »

To give people an idea of how much the items were worth?

You had to post a question here that didn't pertain the op because....?

OP I doubt the nightclub pay to insure their patrons belongings. I am afraid this time you are out of luck. Take is as an (expensive) lesson to never let your possessions out of your sight in that sort of situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

can you prove it was theft by a patron?? if so i should see no reason why not........

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

listermint wrote: »
    id imagine to quantify the price of it.

But not the cash or the makeup. Yeah, right.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Vodkat

Thanks for your responses. I was aware of my belongings at all times, I wasn't going to sit at the table with my arm around my bag, no one ever does. I just never expected that to happen and im really upset that it has. We paid an entrance fee and I just presumed that it covers theft, but maybe not personal belongings. I'm not at all blaming the club but I just hoped there was some way I could be reimbursed for the loss.

Its a hard lesson learned and ill be insuring for loss and theft anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

Vodkat wrote: »
    We paid an entrance fee and I just presumed that it covers theft, but maybe not personal belongings.

What?

I'd say you never thought about insurance being part of an entrance fee till you had something stolen. I'm surprised someone who has a phone worth hundreds of euro doesn't have proper insurance....live and learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Play nice folks.

OP - I'm not sure how you would expect insurance to cover this. Apart from your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Vodkat

madalig12 wrote: »
    What?

I'd say you never thought about insurance being part of an entrance fee till you had something stolen. I'm surprised someone who has a phone worth hundreds of euro doesn't have proper insurance....live and learn.

Actually I have thought about it before, a friend of mine who had a broken leg didn't pay the entrance fee, as he entered at his own risk and the premises cannot be liable for any accident that may occur. So obviously some of the entrance fee covers insurance then, that why I asked. Anyway I have my answer already thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Actually I have thought about it before, a friend of mine who had a broken leg didn't pay the entrance fee, as he entered at his own risk and the premises cannot be liable for any accident that may occur. So obviously some of the entrance fee covers insurance then, that why I asked. Anyway I have my answer already thanks.

Have to say that sounds like complete BS as well. A premises can't release themself from any liability based on the fact someone didnt pay and entered at your own risk. When you enter, you enter at your own risk anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

peteb2 wrote: »
    Have to say that sounds like complete BS as well. A premises can't release themself from any liability based on the fact someone didnt pay and entered at your own risk. When you enter, you enter at your own risk anyway.

to a degree, all premisses have to have public liability insurance (protecting us from physical harm i think) but not from sheer lack of care of ones personal belongings.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

to a degree, all premisses have to have public liability insurance (protecting us from physical harm i think) but not from sheer lack of care of ones personal belongings.

I don't believe it's mandatory like motor insurance but you'd be crazy to be in business and not have public (and employer) liability insurance.

As far as I know it only covers bodily injury and/or damage to personal possessions caused by slipping or because of defective fittings or culpability on the part of the staff like a waiter spilling a tray of drinks all over your iPhone and the like. It does not cover theft of personal possessions from patrons by other patrons.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

There are no signs up around the club stating that any loss or theft is at patrons risk??

Such notices only state the obvious: you are responsible for your own possessions, not the nightclub. Unless someone of the staff: "said here let me mind that for you", they are not responsible.

This makes no sense!!! Regardless of the fact that he has a broken leg or did not pay the entrance fee, the nightclub would still be responsible if he had an accident through their negligence. The last three words are the key - if the nightclub do or fail to do something that results in a patron suffering a loss then they are liable period. By the same token if the patron did or failed to do something that contributed to the situation then any claim would be reduced to the extent of their own negligence. And before you ask public liability does not extend to the theft or loss of you possessions - since it is assumed that you are smart enough to look after your own crap!

Advertisement