Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time Christmas Dinner

Options
  • 21-12-2012 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

First time Christmas Dinner
    hi,

I decided id give Christmas dinner a go this year, the family are invited over and im feeling a bit nervous about it now... never did anything like this before..

i want to do something slightly different...but simple...good quality too...

the plan is to do a pumpkin soup followed by a turkey wellington with cranberry stuffing and some mash, roast spuds, carrots and gravy

is there anything missing? probably do stuffing too...

Christmas pudding with custard for desert... This is made already thanks to my girlfriend...

Im looking for some tips or things to be aware of... i reckon i'll follow Jamie Oliver's recipe but any advice is great...

any suggestions for a qood simple gravy?

thanks alot and happy christmas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

If you're making your soup yourself I'd suggest you make it on christmas eve then reheat on the hop with a glug of cream before serving.

Roast potatoes can be par boiled the night before and chilled in the fridge until time to go into the oven. I actually find much better results doing it this way, crispy outside and fluffy insides. mmmm

Are you buying the turkey wellington or making it yourself? If making yourself I think it can also be assembled the night before to go in the oven on the day (if Jamie Oliver is anything to go by).

Don't forget the sprouts. :)

Most importantly I'd say is be prepared to laugh at yourself if there is a mistake, it's not the end of the world. Really it's not. The first year I had my parents in law here for Christmas dinner I left the turkey to my husband, I'm veggie so didn't taste it, but not a lot was eaten. I suspect it was well over done.

I also dropped the tray of roasted carrots and parsnips, and they looked delicious. :rolleyes:

However, I know now that my MIL really appreciated not having to do a christmas dinner and had a very relaxing day, even though it wasn't perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

thanks a mill...yes it looks like christmas eve will be busy preparing in advance...

gona do the wellington myself

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

It's not quick but I highly recommend Jamie Oliver's chicken wing gravy. It's not quick but not particularly difficult either. Can't link but it's on his site.

thanks...its on youtube and i plan to do it too thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

yeah, 2 thumbs up for jamie's gravy too, i did mine with turkey wings and it came out a treat.

also, if you're feeling particularly generous, you can't go wrong with a heap of pigs in blankets.

get yourself some of the mini superquinn sausages and a couple of packs of streaky rashers and cocktail sticks to hold it sall together and whack them in the oven and you won't be disappointed. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭siledee

Your food sounds great.

I find that if you're a bit nervous about things is to make a good list...about timings...eg carrots on at 2pm, reheat gravy 2.15...etc

That way most stuff will be ready when you want and you won't have forgotten anything...like I have done in the past :o

hi, thanks for the reply...im trying to imagine what order it all needs to be done...when ive imagined it correctly i'll write a list... :)

Advertisement