Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local lad signs for West Ham

Options
  • 21-12-2012 1:12am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Clogh native, Sean Maguire has signed for West Ham. The 18 year old striker was playing in the League of Ireland first division last season for Waterford United and scored 12 goals from 24 games. Sean played for Ormonde Villa, Deen Celtic and Evergreen before moving to Waterford United. Both Evergreen and Waterford United should profit if he moves on for a transfer fee in the future.

He has signed a two year contract for the development squad which has in the recent past produced some of the best household names in English football, including Rio Ferdinand, Michael Carrick, Frank Lampard, Joe Cole and Jermaine Defoe, current West Ham players like Jack Collison, James Tomkins and Mark Noble also came through the Academy.

The only Kilkenny native who I can think of to have played in the premier league is Graiguenamanagh's Michael Reddy, who's career was blighted and cut short by injury. Garry Breen was on the books of Man City but returned to the league of Ireland, there's a young lad at Aston Villa but I can't think of his name and he isn't in the first team squad. There are a few Kilkenny natives in the league of Ireland, the most notable being David Mulcahy of Bohemians.

As a West Ham fan, I hope Sean Maguire becomes the next big thing for the hammers and also for the national team as Robbie ain't gonna keep going forever (unlike me forever blowing bubbles). From reading in the soccer forum he was the best player Waterford have had in a very long time and it was inevitable he would be snapped up by an English club.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

I think the lad at Villa is called Mikey Drennan

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

earlytobed wrote: »

That's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Silverscott

How would evergreen profit if he has moved on ?
    Did he not leave them to play for waterford ?
    So if he has left them both now to play for west ham how can they get money ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

No idea if its the case here, but small clubs often have sell on clauses when a player moves onto another team. Small example, Northampton Town sold a keeper to Blackburn for 150,000 with a 10% sell on, so when Blackburn sold him to Norwich for a million, the Cobblers got a further 100,000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

I'm pretty sure Evergreen will get a very small % of any fee he gets in the future because they were the ones who brought him through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

didn't really bring him through if he played for other teams, Are Evergreen a source team? I remember Freebooters used to be and everyone flocked to them cos of it! Good luck to the chap I say

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Because of a ruling nearly a decade ago that was made in favour of Crumlin United. Fair play to the FAI for following through with it.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/landmark-fifa-ruling-to-net-thousands-for-crumlin-utd-121324.html
    there's a young lad at Aston Villa but I can't think of his name and he isn't in the first team squad.

Mikey Drennan. He isn't in the first team, but he's banging in the goals for the reserves. If he keeps on going like he is then he shouldn't be too far off a first team appearance.
    Arawn wrote: »
    didn't really bring him through if he played for other teams, Are Evergreen a source team? I remember Freebooters used to be and everyone flocked to them cos of it! Good luck to the chap I say

It comes and goes. At the moment Evergreen are the main team in Kilkenny. The Junior team are winning everything around them. This naturally attracts attention and players from other clubs who are looking to play for a bigger/better team.

I think Seani Maguire made his mark for the Kilkenny youth team in the national final a while back. That wouldn't have been much to do with Evergreen though.

If you have the talent then you'll be noticed.

Mikey Drennan was one of the first players in ages to go straight from a local club, outside of the big feeder clubs, over to England. That shows just how talented he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

earlytobed wrote: »

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

I cannot believe that this last message is still on the thread two days later. What happened to the moderator(s)?

Mankbag wrote: »
    I cannot believe that this last message is still on the thread two days later. What happened to the moderator(s)?

If its not true, did you report it to a Moderator?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

This particular moderator has been working and spending time with his girlfriend and family whilst dying with flu over the New Year period but if you had of reported the post, it would have sent a message straight to my mobile. I have been on boards but I actually didn't pay attention to that post, I probably opened it and then didn't read it. Anyway to have a go at people who do something voluntarily is a bit sad. Two days later and I still can't believe that you haven't reported it despite having taken offense to it.

Fair enough. Will report something like this in future. Genuinely wasn't aware of the protocol involved. And certainly wasn't having a go at the moderator - was just amazed that nobody else had picked up on a grossly libellous post.

Dooferoaks, if it WAS true, would that still make it okay to post it?

Dooferoaks, if it WAS true, would that still make it okay to post it?

Well if it was true, would have no problem with someone posting it. Why should people object to the reporting of fact?

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Well if it was true, would have no problem with someone posting it. Why should people object to the reporting of fact?

Because if it is, or is likely to be, the subject of police and/or legal proceedings, it cannot be reported. As things stand it is merely the subject of rumour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Because if it is, or is likely to be, the subject of police and/or legal proceedings, it cannot be reported. As things stand it is merely the subject of rumour.

What do you mean it cant be reported? Its well known what he did and then he tried to pay the guy off but was rebuffed and the case will now be going to court.

It can't be reported because it could affect the outcome of the court case, it is irrelevant if it's common knowledge or not, please don't comment on this again. Because of what is written here a court could throw the case out, thus making him innocent and he could then take you to court for defamation.

Good luck to the chap at the Hammers.

Alot of local lads around the south east doing well across the pond these times. Shane Long, John O'Shea, Kevin Doyle, Daryl Murphy, The Hunts, Padraig Amond and young Drennan at Villa. The Jack Charlton and Mick McCarthy era's have left a bit of a legacy

There's a quick video interview with him on the West Ham United website.

There's a quick video interview with him on the West Ham United website.

It says I have to subscribe to West Ham TV to watch it? Have you seen the video?

It says I have to subscribe to West Ham TV to watch it? Have you seen the video?

I know I'm subscribed to the website which doesn't cost anything. The interview is on the home page over to the right.

• Advertisement

I know I'm subscribed to the website which doesn't cost anything. The interview is on the home page over to the right.

Ah right. I was trying to view via another way. Nice the way he got the Kilkenny mention in there :pac:.

Seemed really nervous doing the interview. Must be a huge change for him going over there.

Didn't realise that West Ham are top of their group in the u-21 league. He'll be going into a good team there. Hopefully the club can stay in the Premier League. Would be great to see him getting a chance in a few years.

Ah right. I was trying to view via another way. Nice the way he got the Kilkenny mention in there :pac:.

Seemed really nervous doing the interview. Must be a huge change for him going over there.

Didn't realise that West Ham are top of their group in the u-21 league. He'll be going into a good team there. Hopefully the club can stay in the Premier League. Would be great to see him getting a chance in a few years.

If he did get his chance with a premier league team, surely he'd be in with a chance of getting into the national team.

If he did get his chance with a premier league team, surely he'd be in with a chance of getting into the national team.

Hopefully Trap will be gone by the time he is ready to make the breakthrough.

Not if Trap is still in charge. He'll have to join a League 2 team.

Oh, before I forget, Mikey Drennan was mentioned in the Sunday Times sports supplement as one of the 5 young Irish sports stars to watch out for in 2013. Very big praise.

I'll try to find the paper tomorrow and see who the other four people on the list are. I think a few of them were well known.

He played his first game for the U-21 squad today as West Ham beat Arsenal 2-0. He's not mentioned in the short match report I read though.

23405_536255989740955_651084395_n.jpg

734158_536256013074286_101853093_n.jpg

Advertisement