Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting a sleeve

Options
  • 21-12-2012 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

So I'm booked in for 26th January to start the first piece of my Alice in Wonderland sleeve. Been planning and saving for it for well over a year now :D It's going to include loads of little details that hint to other things, my lucky numbers, a quote, a couple of small LOTR references (eg. a flower from it or something like that) that kind of thing, and the plan is to have it get more sinister towards my wrist :D

BUT I'm already getting super nervous :P I'm starting off with a top half sleeve, and its all going to be very slow progress due to money-or lack of, and the fact I'm still only 24 (as in probably this piece, most likely 2-3 sessions for that throughout the coming year and then not another piece for over a year... though we all know how addictive they can be...) but its such a massive commitment! And even though I have 5 others (2 of which are about 3 hours each) I'm worried about the pain. *insert embarrassed face here*

You guys know how I'm feeling, right?
    Right??

:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

They say that anticipation of death is worse than death itself and I think you can apply that here. Likewise I'm getting some work done on January 5th and I'm a bit nervey about the pain, but I know once I'm into it, it'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

If you're really worried about the pain you could try those numbing creams, I've never used them myself but I've heard good things about them, you just rub it in wrap it in cling film for half an hour and wash it off before you go for your tattoo.

If you're not bothered all you can do is pop some neurofen a few hours before and then a couple more before you sit down, it certainly doesn't stop the pain but it helps make it a tiny bit durable over a long period of time.

I have a friend who recently took about 8 neurofen for 2 hours on his forearm and he said he couldn't feel a thing :p - obviously I don't recommend that though!

I remember when I was getting my back done just trying to keep a constant slow natural breathing helped a lot (although it was difficult). All you can do otherwise is tell yourself it gets better after the first 5 minutes :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

i remember my first tat, on my trapizius. I nearly pass out through the pain. The needle wasnt the problem, it was the massive, 25 stone, biker leaning on my back like i was a table. 1 hour of that was more than i could handle ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

I got a chest piece and half sleeve done this yr! the traps and the sternum are painful but its not unbearable! you'll be grand!!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭TheJinMu

:) It's probably a mixture of pure nerves and excitement :D Its not like I dont know what it feels like :) Might be doing the inside of the arm too, that sounds much worse! :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

TheJinMu wrote: »
    :) It's probably a mixture of pure nerves and excitement :D Its not like I dont know what it feels like :) Might be doing the inside of the arm too, that sounds much worse! :P

I got something done on the inside of my forearm recently, near enough to the elbow that it was done on a place with pretty thin skin. Not the same as the upper inner arm, but pain levels are similar or so I'm told. Honestly, it didn't hurt too much. There were a few moments where I gasped, but nothing particularly bad.

I think you just need to relax a little bit! Have a couple of painkillers before you go and you should be fine. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

are we telling tattoo pain stories ? I got left leg done a few years ago ,Jesus wep't on the cross for me because of the pain.

Shortly afterwards I got my other leg tattooed , the pain was worse.So in in future I'm just going to get tattooed on the left side of my body.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭tommyombomb

As a person who has no interest in tattoos but know a few people who got them. I always thought the pain is part of the process and enjoyment. I know it sound mad and I can't relate to it but I always thought it was part of the process. GL and out of interest what sort of money are we talking about to get a full arm done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

As a person who has no interest in tattoos but know a few people who got them. I always thought the pain is part of the process and enjoyment. I know it sound mad and I can't relate to it but I always thought it was part of the process. GL and out of interest what sort of money are we talking about to get a full arm done.
    Depends on the complexity really I'm getting a jungle themed sleeve started in Jan which will take maybe 20 to 25 hours to do at E80 an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

So I'm booked in for 26th January to start the first piece

I'm booked in on the 31st of January to start mine :) 6 hours of madness ahead of me :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

Worst part for me was top of the arm collar bone area after that no pain...was always told inside of bicep was sore didn't feel a thing

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

mattjack wrote: »
    are we telling tattoo pain stories ? I got left leg done a few years ago ,Jesus wep't on the cross for me because of the pain.

Shortly afterwards I got my other leg tattooed , the pain was worse.So in in future I'm just going to get tattooed on the left side of my body.

Three and a half hours of fine line detail up and down the spine.
    After a while it stops hurting and you're sort of high on endorphins.
    Then when it was over, I went to stand up and fainted right away.
    Hurt like a bitch for about a week too. Then just itched a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

so pain eh, elbow done as part of sleeve, skull design, finished sleeve after bout 5 hours (was final part) and went back to elbow to add some white ... sweet divine mother of fcuk, worst 2 minutes of my life, swollen elbow tatt ..

as for the rest, i found after a hour or so it all felt pretty much the same, i kinda zoned out listening to the motor humm

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Thread is about getting a sleeve done, not general pain guys, please save the genera pain stories for the "Does it hurt..." thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

So I'm booked in for 26th January to start the first piece of my Alice in Wonderland sleeve. Been planning and saving for it for well over a year now :D It's going to include loads of little details that hint to other things, my lucky numbers, a quote, a couple of small LOTR references (eg. a flower from it or something like that) that kind of thing, and the plan is to have it get more sinister towards my wrist :D

:)

sounds good.where are u getting it done.i'm puttin together my ideas for a pirate themed sleeve that i'm hoping to get started soon after xmas.i plan to get mine from pavel in skincity

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭TheJinMu

sounds good.where are u getting it done.i'm puttin together my ideas for a pirate themed sleeve that i'm hoping to get started soon after xmas.i plan to get mine from pavel in skincity

Caroline in Clowntown, Ennis is doing it :D She seems to be in exactly the same frame as mind as me about it, which is brilliant! Pirate themed sleeve is something I'd love to see! That was another idea I had, but long term I want my whole right side filled with a pirate ship. If I ever get the guts for it :)

Ahahaha, pain stories are nice to read too. I mostly just wanted to hear from people who were scared starting theirs too :) Someone to tell me it'll all be ok. Hahahahahaha :D:)

Advertisement