Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC "Drop-outs" of late, going insane

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

RUSTEDCORE wrote: »
    could this be related to the recent issues with microsoft?
    I have always expected their fix may be a dodgy workaround and mine can be fine then 5 minutes on the 360 and it drops.

Any of you accessing microsoft servers before dropouts?
    I'm on Mac and the connection's a disgrace. Unusable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Gone to sh*t in the last 20 minutes again -_-

Hopefully better in the morning. I was downloading a torrent when it went bad, but I closed that 15 minutes ago and the internet is still slow. I've tried connecting directly through the Cisco (which I usually use as a bridge) and my Netgear but both are slow.

Sort it out please, UPC :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Mine is dropping out right now and getting request timeouts.. FFS!

I'm not suffering any dropouts now, just crap internet speeds.

240944.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yep, thats the same problem. Area?

ED E wrote: »
    Yep, thats the same problem. Area?

I'm in Sligo.

Edit: I tested it twice in 5 minutes, first was the crap speeds of 3MB down and now it has jumped up to where it should be.

2507890979.png

And here's me thinking the problem had gone away.

Up and down the last hour or so. Not ever disconnecting from the net, just taking an age to load pages.

The strange thing is it works fine sometimes on my Cisco. I have my main PC connected through my netgear and it is slow, but I just tried it on my laptop that is wirelessly connected to the Cisco router and pages load fine :confused:.

Using the Cisco as my main router isn't an option so I hope this fixes itself. I've changed nothing the past few days since this started.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

As stated in another thread, there's a lengthy-ish thread in the UPC forum here.

My money is on a broken cable somewhere. Having internet ping and speeds suddenly break down since Saturday night is unusual and not normal of a service that has become overcrowded (its normally a gradual breakdown).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

My money is on mass uptake of Netflix/RTE/TV3 Player since the saorview switchover and Netflixs recent media blitz and UPCs crappy half-assed infrastructure cant handle it, what do you think?

• Advertisement

As before, the 50/100/150Mb rollout is where my money is at.

This is a fcuking mess again this evening, Boards about the only place I can get to load, infuriating that they're carrying on with the pretense of sending engineers to individual houses to 'fix' their connections when most of Dublin and the surrounding area is complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 MeDroiD

Hey guys. In my case I never have "slow connection", but it just keeps restarting every X hours. I don´t know why, but it keeps disconnecting and disconnecting.

Im a gamer, and when Im playing game, before disconnecting I see a huge amount of lag (like a DDoS attack) and after 1-2 minutes in which it seems that my connection is "fighting" against what I call this DDoS attack, I disconnect for about 10-15minutes...

Today I disconnected 1 time, 2minutes, not much, but still.

Does any1 have any information from UPC about what´s happening? I just moved to Dublin 4 months ago and it´s by far the WORST internet experience I´ve ever had in my entire life...

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭webwayz

Last 2 days I have had issues with UPC interent connection - tried the old reboot, turn it off and on again sans success. while its on now, it was dialup slow a few hours ago...
    there website(rather than just be an advert) should state slow times and issues and areas where there is issues at least then you could accept it and expect someone is on the job of fixing it

Ye should complain in this thread in the UPC forum aswell and hopefully something might get done, this thread wont make any difference anyway:

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056861588/1

Just rebooted itself :/

2518146194.png
    2518147789.png

Getting very fed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

2518146194.png
    2518147789.png

Getting very fed up.
    Holy sh1t! It's like 2005 all over again!

You really should nag UPC every day until they fix it. Annoy them until they can't take it anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

ED E wrote:

Getting very fed up.

Don't blame you that is going on long time now , had the same thing for months myself.

• Advertisement

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Holy sh1t! It's like 2005 all over again!

You really should nag UPC every day until they fix it. Annoy them until they can't take it anymore.

Problem is they just start a ticket for the house, which means a line test and a replacement unit which is f'ck all use.

What we need is them to look at the area as a whole, theres some sort of systemwide problem, but the CSRs will never pass me on to a senior network engineer.

What about having them send out a tech and speaking to them instead of the phone puppets? They might have suggestion(s) that the folks in the call center aren't aware of due to lack of "field" experience.

Also, do you have any neighbors with UPC (that you're aware of) facing similar issues?

I was chatting with them when they were here. The first fellow was a polish chap with poor english, not very talkative. Second, appeared to be his superior(I got the sense he came to check up on him) who arrived 10 minutes later was an older gent who was happy to hear me out but it was quite clear he didnt understand much above installation and their standard troubleshooting.

When they were laying the lines in our area first we had an engineer in who really knew his stuff but I dont remember his name and he just did installs.

A friend within 1KM had the same issues, but its been OK for him of late. Of the people on the street that I know well they're all on DSL.

Might walk down and scan for UPC boxes broadcasting to see.

I guess it's the luck of the draw with the tech guys. You never know, you might get someone who knows their stuff if you try again.

This conversation should be taking place in the UPC forum and every complaint you make here should be matched with a complaint to UPC otherwise its just pointless whining and nothing will ever be done about it:

Its being going on so long now its at risk of turning into one of those things that are just accepted as luck of the draw and then ignored by the company.

Thargor wrote: »
    This conversation should be taking place in the UPC forum otherwise its just pointless whining:

All the UPC reps tend to do is ask for people's account numbers over PM and then deal with the customer privately. You might as well just call 1908!

Plus, it's all been said by ED_E and others many times over on the UPC forum and yet here everyone is, still experiencing lethargic speeds.

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    This conversation should be taking place in the UPC forum and every complaint you make here should be matched with a complaint to UPC otherwise its just pointless whining and nothing will ever be done about it:

Its being going on so long now its at risk of turning into one of those things that are just accepted as luck of the draw and then ignored by the company.

The point of this thread is mostly as a log. And to gauge if its isolated to me(which its clearly not).

As above, posts on the talk to forum are dealt with privately, and the reps just initiate a ticket.

The hope is that if I have enough info and a decent timeline like this we might just get things pushed higher up than CSRs or "technicians".

Piliger wrote: »
    Ok I spoke to an outside engineer ten minutes ago who came to visit. When he was on his way he had no idea, but when he came to the door, he had been notified ...

He said he has just been notified that the problem has been identified. He said all of us, even in different parts of the city, are involved and it will be fixed tonight after 2am. He said we should notice tomorrow evening and he will call back to verify.

I have experience of several of the other "Talk to.." forums from other companies and this one is by far the very worst. I don't blame Eamonn ... he is only allowed to do what he allowed to do and is strangled by company policy, which clearly is denial denial denial denial..........

If this is anyway true it may mark the end of this thread.

Its looking good anyway!

2522733210.png

So much for it being resolved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭RUSTEDCORE

Do you use torrents ED I have wondered if this is a way of limiting torrents .I sort of remember that torrents and xbox use the same type of packets and virgin media messed up xbox users in an attempt to severely limit torrenting.

• Advertisement

Bastard is back as bad as ever after a 24 hour reprieve, useless cnuts.

Just rebooted.

And again

2531969783.png

Barely useable again tonight, I have a faster connection on 56k at my parents house than 60 MB UPC, what a fcuking joke, landlord says he doesnt know anything about it either so thats me fcuked, has there ever been chronic problems like this before and were they resolved even if it took a few months?

I made a new thread in their forum:

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056891300

Would appreciate some backup in there for my statement if you're experiencing similar issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭blainj2

Just to add to the thread. Im having the same problem in Dublin 9. After a reset the modem is ok for about an hour or so. I have 50meg and it drops to 0.5meg, pings are dropping out. Ive started to log everything so i have a case to go to upc with.

I play LOL and use spotify if that helps. Thinking about uninstalling spotify to see if that helps but i doubt it.

It definitely a network wide problem.

Had to reboot it again there a few hours ago.

Gonna PM the reps again now.

ED E will you keep us updated on what the reps actually do please? I dont really believe they're actually following up on all those "PM us your account details" answers as well as alll the same "DM us your account details" responses on Twitter, I cant do it because its my landlords connection and he says he rang them and they said everything is fine, now he's gone to Spain.

Will do, have sent a pretty extensive message. Asked for somebody above the front line techs so we'll see what they say(probably not till tomorrow).

EDIT: Just had to reboot again. Really taking the piss today.

Collated a few tweets
    SVYZAgE.jpg

• Advertisement

Madness, I dont see what else I can say to them on their forum, got the feeling that Eamonn guy was taking the p1ss out of me because I said it was my lanlords contract and I couldnt get the details aswell, Im going to start phoning their offices and see if I can talk to a human.

Thanks for your Twitter pic though, really gets the message across.

Reps are investigating. Will report back when they get in touch again.

2541236774.png

Third time today, never seen it this bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

we had issues the last few nights with upc, rebooting etc wouldnt work, I rang upc this morning but the problem wasnt there, the rep took the modem offline and said if it went this evening to ring back in, it did and the new rep gave our router a new identity he said that there was intereference to the signal in the old one.

so formally we were upc 123456 for e.g now were upc 456789 for e.g.

the broadband has been great since I have to say, maybe worth seeing if upc can do the same for others. I havent read all of this thread so might have been mentioned previously.

2541945379.png

Sounds like he assigned you a new MAC. I've done that from my end by changing the internal routers MAC to get a new IP, no dice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Wishox

This is really starting to take the pish, 4 times tonight alone and every single night, i restart my bloody modem more than my phone, no help so im moving, stick your speed where it doesnt shine UPC !

Tell it to them on their Board cos their reps on Boards are still treating everything as an individual case as if the problem is your line or your router or something, they're just point blank refusing to acknowledge it:

http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1546

Would it make a difference if everyone in the affected areas, presumably Dublin, were asked to forward a complaint to ComReg on the matter? It couldn't hurt to try, there's nothing to lose.

Update

UPC seem to be taking an interest :eek:

Inbox:
    01-03-2013Re: Continuing problems
    17:15UPC: Reps
    01-03-2013Re: Continuing problems
    13:07UPC: Reps
    28-02-2013Re: Continuing problems
    16:51UPC: Reps
    28-02-2013Re: Continuing problems
    15:46UPC: Reps

So far no real info back from them yet, but its a start.

Will know more monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Update

UPC seem to be taking an interest :eek:

So far no real info back from them yet, but its a start.

Will know more monday.
    I'd imagine it might help them more if those suffering these drop-outs could confirm if they were using the internet for gaming.
    If there was a high correlation - then it would be quicker to fix I would have thought.
    I can't understand why the company on Boards.ie, don't pigeon hole users into sub-forums, with common faults among that demographic. People downloading boxsets should not be in the same forum as those suffering low pings for gaming etc. Likewise those suffering slow speeds on wireless should not be same forum as those suffering problems on Windows 7 and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭blainj2

Had 4 drop outs over the weekend while i was playing a game. Each time had to restart the router to get the ping and speed times back to expected. Its very frustrating.

They are going to look into it and get back to be. I'll let you know if i make any headway.

Advertisement