Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC "Drop-outs" of late, going insane

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 JockESpollix

I'm back to the same **** again.
    Has reset itself 4 times in the past hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

Been having these issues with the upc thompson since the firmware upgrade - their engineer called out over weekend- i was in school with this guy and he said they're up the walls with calls at the moment from the thompson since this upgrade - he gave me the cisco one and seems fine since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

:)
    seamus wrote: »
    If it was a service/network level problem, it would actually be easier to fix than if it's an intermittent fault with some properties.

Worth noting that I'm in D24 and have never had a service issue like the one described. Which would indicate that this isn't specifically a network-level issue, otherwise it would be widespread.

Even on this thread you have 152 posts by 30 people. But 97 of those posts have been made by 3 people. So this doesn't seem to be a major or common issue judging by those figures.

Found this thread cause I'm having the same issues!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

UPC Reps wont really check this thread, you should make a thread on their Board:

http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1546

I spent 2 weeks kicking up a stink over there and now Im fine, got a PM the day before it was fixed asking me to check the connection tomorrow and see if its any different and it was so maybe worth letting them know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thargor wrote: »
    UPC Reps wont really check this thread, you should make a thread on their Board:

http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1546

I spent 2 weeks kicking up a stink over there and now Im fine, got a PM the day before it was fixed asking me to check the connection tomorrow and see if its any different and it was so maybe worth letting them know.

Dont worry, I've posted there and am in almost daily contact with them via PM.

Yeah I know that was @ Grawns and any new people coming into this thread because its the first result on Google, the more that contact them on the board they set up for it the better.

Oh right, great point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 alex200

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

As mentioned above worth copying this post to the UPC Talk to forum.

• Advertisement

alex200 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Yeah thats something I kept forgetting to mention, the signal bars dropped from 5 to 3 a lot for me aswell when its happening, just in the Windows taskbar, never measured it with any dedicated software.

This exact same problem is back again, bad as ever :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

Mad stuff this but every-time I put my windows phone onto my home network I end up getting a dropout about a min after....

If I don't.... It doesn't drop out.

Very odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

been getting these drop outs regularly from 8pm onward in Clonmel Tipperary for the last 5 days.

Manc-Red wrote: »
    Mad stuff this but every-time I put my windows phone onto my home network I end up getting a dropout about a min after....

If I don't.... It doesn't drop out.

Very odd.

That sounds like the bug some have with using the 3925 as a wireless AP.

Or service has been fine for the last while now, but f'ck if UPC will tell us anything about what was wrong and what they did to correct it(clearly did something as its been impeccable for weeks).

Considering I've been recommending the 3800 I'd like to note here that ReadySHARE function has some sever limitations it would seem. Going to probably set up a proper freenas box with an intel NUC when we have the spare cash.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Im having similar problems to some of you.

Today Im lucky to be getting 5mb.Im on the 50mb package.

Engineer coming tomorrow--any specific questions I should ask him to look at??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭collier

Having similar issues multiple restarts using the Thompson. Getting 10-20Mbps out of the 150 I should be getting close to.

Later on in the night I get 120Mbps but it's very unstable. Noticing packet loss and high ping times on pingtest.net over wired connection.

UPC Support also confirmed packet loss and sending engineer, they think it is a problem on their network rather then the cable modem/router.

Guys all I can suggest is PM the UPC reps(I got Eamonn then Brian) and tell them you are having the same symptoms as I. They got their techs to do something and it fixed everything for us, but not a whisper as to what that was.

ED E wrote: »
    Considering I've been recommending the 3800 I'd like to note here that ReadySHARE function has some sever limitations it would seem. Going to probably set up a proper freenas box with an intel NUC when we have the spare cash.

Update: Some of our problems with DLNA were caused by windows media player sending bad requests(probably spamming them) to the router and knocking it offline.

Ahh MS.... :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭RUSTEDCORE

Update: Some of our problems with DLNA were caused by windows media player sending bad requests(probably spamming them) to the router and knocking it offline.

Ahh MS.... :rolleyes:

VLC - FTW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭personguy

Firmware Version: epc3925-ESIP-12-v302r125561-120727c_upc
    Current Time: Thurs. Jan 1 00:03:16 1970
    Cable Modem Status: Scanning
    Bootloader Revision: 2.3.0_R1
    Current Software Revision: epc3925-ESIP-12-v302r125561-120727c_upc
    Firmware Name: epc3925-ESIP-12-v302r125561-120727c_upc.bin
    Firmware Build Time: Jul 27 21:06:28 2012
    Count Time ID Level Description
    16 Time Not Established 68000100 Critical (3) DHCP FAILED - Discover sent, no offer received;CM-MAC=24:76:7d:3d:e1:ce;CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:05:77:90;CM-QOS=1.0;CM-VER=3.0;

siiiiiigh
    3 hours is as long as we've been cut off from internet.
    ...somebody please go wake up UPC and tell them it's not 1970. thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

personguy wrote: »
    siiiiiigh
    3 hours is as long as we've been cut off from internet.
    ...somebody please go wake up UPC and tell them it's not 1970. thanks.

Just started working for me there. Rathmines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭personguy

and it's out again.

fannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnf*ingtastic.

so glad i could sort all my transportation and coordination for B&S before this weekend outside of working 40+ hours.
    oh wait, i can't, because UPC is about as reliable as unicorn farting out a winning lottery ticket.

so happy that i can count on my internet provider to be on when i get home from work, when i need it most (i'm one of those rare breed of people who doesn't use their home internet much when they're not at home), so i can video conference with colleagues in the states about time-sensitive issues.
    oh wait, i can't, because UPC is as dependable as a plane with one wing .. on fire.

same sh*take mushroom as last night.
    router claims it's new year's day, 1970.
    now, as much as i'd like to turn back the clock, and get my old body back, and wear paisley with confidence, and sport bell-bottom jeans with cuffs larger than my waistline...no, i'm afraid it's not 1970, and i just want my internet back, and i don't want to pay for this crap any more, and UPC can go drown in a lake, preferably with uncomfortable quantities of rusty flatware inserted into orifices that are unaccustomed to cutlery.

p.s. did i mention that i don't even have to look at the blinky lights on the router to know when the internet is working or not? yeah, when it IS working, the socket end of the power adapter AND the router itself both make this lovely bubbly screeching sound that is oddly similar to pterodactyls being ground into muesli, somewhere off in the distance. UPC know this and have still done nothing to replace or repair their equipment. :shrug:

update: 04:44 .. still out.
    update: 05:51 .. still out. can't wait up any longer. going to bed.
    update: 10:09 .. still out. lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

Down in D4.

Sort it out UPC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭alhimself

Out in D10 the last few nights, from about 1.30-2.00am onwards till the morning 9-10am.

Not cool, tryna get college work done in the wee hours and this BS! :mad:

two nights in a row, with other drops during the day at random for a few weeks now. The daytime drops started happening even before we moved from the Sci Atlantic modem and our venerable Linksys 54g to the Technicolour 7200 and our own TPLink router.

Definitely on UPC side, have technicolor 7200 with our own router plugged in. connecting to either signal no good, nor is ethernet direct from the 7200 to the laptop. when in the settings page for the technicolor
    Network access is denied, made no changes to the setup that works the rest of the day, so its not a config problem this end ie if it works when UPC is up, no reason it shouldnt work all the time, so logically explanation is issue is on UPC's side, not giving out IP's at these hours of the morning with Network Access denied....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Regarding UPC outages, see this thread...http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056974478

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭alhimself

thanks for that much appreciated

Oh crap, looks like this problem is back.

Oh crap, looks like this problem is back.

What area are you in Thargor?

Bray, tbh what it most seems like is that they're throttling Youtube and torrents, everything else is fairly normal including other streaming sites, but some random links like Reddit are very slow aswell so thats 90% of my internet use screwed.

Sick of it now, I spend more time tethered to my phone using 3's unlimited plan than I do on supposedly a 60 mb service or whatever the top one is meant to be these days, and its not any of my hardware either, couple of neighbours complain about it aswell and the day it came back before was the day I got a pm from a UPC rep on Boards a few weeks back saying try it tonight and it should be fixed but now its reverted.

• Advertisement

Throttling is a bad choice of words there btw, Youtube and the others are completely unusable when it goes like this.

Throttling is a bad choice of words there btw, Youtube and the others are completely unusable when it goes like this.

Youtube is a specific issue where UPC are redirecting to the low res CDNs and f'cking **** up. If other traffic is problematic then theres something larger going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I've had 5 drop outs today and speeds are less than half what I normally have or should be getting.

And its motherf'cking back >:(

I'm omw out to work now so I only managed to do a brief bit of troubleshooting. Full power cycle did nada. EPC isn't too hot, more warm. Traffic was light at the time.

When I've time tomorrow ill post a full report and contact the reps again.

Model:	 Cisco EPC3925
    Vendor:	 Cisco
    Hardware Revision:	 1.0
    Serial Number:	
    MAC Address:	
    Bootloader Revision:	 2.3.0_R1
    Current Software Revision:	 epc3925-ESIP-12-v302r125561-120727c_upc
    Firmware Name:	 epc3925-ESIP-12-v302r125561-120727c_upc.bin
    Firmware Build Time:	 Jul 27 21:06:28 2012
    Cable Modem Status:	Operational
    Wireless Network:	Disable

Cable Modem State	 	 
    DOCSIS Downstream Scanning:	Completed
    DOCSIS Ranging:	Completed
    DOCSIS DHCP:	Completed
    DOCSIS TFTP:	Completed
    DOCSIS Data Reg Complete:	Completed
    DOCSIS Privacy:	Enabled

Downstream Channels	 	 
     	Power Level:	Signal to Noise Ratio:
    Channel 1:	 3.5 dBmV	39.9 dB
    Channel 2:	 3.5 dBmV	41.0 dB
    Channel 3:	 3.5 dBmV	41.2 dB
    Channel 4:	 3.2 dBmV	39.1 dB
    Channel 5:	 2.4 dBmV	39.9 dB
    Channel 6:	 2.6 dBmV	40.4 dB
    Channel 7:	 2.3 dBmV	40.0 dB
    Channel 8:	 2.0 dBmV	39.8 dB

Upstream Channels	 	 
     	Power Level:
    Channel 1:	48.7 dBmV
    Channel 2:	 0.0 dBmV
    Channel 3:	 0.0 dBmV
    Channel 4:	 0.0 dBmV

Two hiccups of late so I'm logging these just in case. Nothing blaringly obvious with it. Not sure the EPC didnt just overheat its poor little self.
    Model:	 Cisco EPC3925
    Vendor:	 Cisco
    Hardware Revision:	 1.0
    Serial Number:	
    MAC Address:	 
    Bootloader Revision:	 2.3.0_R1
    Current Software Revision:	 epc3925-ESIP-12-v302r125561-120727c_upc
    Firmware Name:	 epc3925-ESIP-12-v302r125561-120727c_upc.bin
    Firmware Build Time:	 Jul 27 21:06:28 2012
    Cable Modem Status:	Operational
    Wireless Network:	Disable

Cable Modem State	 	 
    DOCSIS Downstream Scanning:	Completed
    DOCSIS Ranging:	Completed
    DOCSIS DHCP:	Completed
    DOCSIS TFTP:	Completed
    DOCSIS Data Reg Complete:	Completed
    DOCSIS Privacy:	Enabled

Downstream Channels	 	 
     	Power Level:	Signal to Noise Ratio:
    Channel 1:	 3.7 dBmV	39.9 dB
    Channel 2:	 4.0 dBmV	41.7 dB
    Channel 3:	 4.3 dBmV	41.9 dB
    Channel 4:	 3.9 dBmV	41.8 dB
    Channel 5:	 4.0 dBmV	41.5 dB
    Channel 6:	 3.7 dBmV	41.4 dB
    Channel 7:	 5.0 dBmV	42.4 dB
    Channel 8:	 4.6 dBmV	42.0 dB

Upstream Channels	 	 
     	Power Level:
    Channel 1:	48.9 dBmV
    Channel 2:	46.6 dBmV
    Channel 3:	48.1 dBmV
    Channel 4:	45.3 dBmV

Doubt it seeing as my service has been back to its usual sh1tty self since last Friday and someone at work said theirs had dropped off a cliff again aswell, this is in Bray:

3142242630.png

Just lost sync again.

And again. Turns out the no-ip DUC client logs when it cant connect(phones home on a 5min period). Only keeps a couple days worth but still informative.
    12/03/2013 15:31:24: Checking Remote IP address
    12/03/2013 15:31:30: IP Server did not respond with valid response
    12/03/2013 15:31:41: Checking Remote IP address
    12/03/2013 15:32:05: IP Server did not respond with valid response
    12/03/2013 15:34:32: Checking Remote IP address
    12/03/2013 15:34:56: IP Server did not respond with valid response
    12/03/2013 15:35:06: Checking Remote IP address
    12/03/2013 15:35:06: IP Server did not respond with valid response

12/03/2013 16:41:13: IP Server did not respond with valid response
    12/03/2013 16:41:24: Checking Remote IP address
    12/03/2013 16:41:48: IP Server did not respond with valid response
    12/03/2013 16:51:41: Checking Remote IP address
    12/03/2013 16:52:06: IP Server did not respond with valid response
    12/03/2013 16:52:16: Checking Remote IP address
    12/03/2013 16:52:40: IP Server did not respond with valid response

12/03/2013 17:27:58: IP Server did not respond with valid response

12/05/2013 00:45:10: IP Server did not respond with valid response
    12/05/2013 00:45:20: Checking Remote IP address
    12/05/2013 00:45:45: IP Server did not respond with valid response
    12/05/2013 00:45:55: Checking Remote IP address
    12/05/2013 00:46:19: IP Server did not respond with valid response
    12/05/2013 00:46:29: Checking Remote IP address
    12/05/2013 00:46:53: IP Server did not respond with valid response
    12/05/2013 00:47:03: Checking Remote IP address
    12/05/2013 00:47:28: IP Server did not respond with valid response

Will continue to check this till friday then get onto the reps again. FFS it was fine for ages.

12/06/2013 01:44:17: IP Server did not respond with valid response

Only one more drop. Still one too many.

• Advertisement

Are you still seeing problems Ed E? Im going nuts here, my connection is unusable all the time now.

Another thing Ive noticed is the signal strenght swinging between 20% and 100% at random, do you notice that?

Are you still seeing problems Ed E? Im going nuts here, my connection is unusable all the time now.

Another thing Ive noticed is the signal strength swinging between 20% and 100% at random, do you notice that?

Back working right now. Got a temperature probe in it now. Ambient is 15-16*C and the EPC3925 sits at a very mild 42*C consistently(measured from the actual modem casing). Got a fan ready to try if it starts acting up again, another poster used that to some success, but Im not sure its heat issue at these temps. That said, cant measure every individual IC on the board.

Two complete halts in 24hrs(that Ive personally caught). Loss of service is 1-2mins at most. By the time I get to the EPC its in a normal state so I dont think its doing a full reboot.

Was gaming when it happened a few minutes ago, had high packet loss for 30-60s then a complete disconnect. Tab'd out, tried a webpage, no access. EPC, 404. WNDR loaded and logged in. A few seconds later all back to normal.

Temp on the EPC its normal 42 so its not overheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 FatherFrost

Hope you get your probs sorted out ED E, just this thread caught my attention as lately esp in the evenings/nights my UPC can be very janky, have had it years and never had a problem(I have feeling its cause of new Technicolor router I got few months ago) but last few months some evenings it just drops here and there, never a big deal unless I'm trying to PVP or COOP in some game, or downloading large files. But it is starting to get very vexing, and fairly sure its UPCs end.

Ok since my last post. Will continue to monitor it. Not gaming for a while due to exams so it wont have a huge effect but still shouldnt be happening.

Issue seems to be on one of the first hops inside the UPC network. Will have them bump it to networks again if it keeps up.

• Advertisement

Just slowed to a crawl for a minute, then rebooted/re-synchronised, straight back to 50. The usual.

And again at 18:02. EPC stopped responding for about 2 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Mavvvy

Yeah same issue's here in Dublin 6 on 100mb.

Packetloss on voip programs and connection drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 0Default0

Dublin 15, same issue.

Intermittent dropping and download speed dropping to as low as 500kbps.

Reported on the Talk2UPC forum earlier. Reps will see it tomorrow. Will post back their response.

• Advertisement
Advertisement