Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burglaries in Ardkeen

Options
  • 21-12-2012 3:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Police on our street today knocking around asking for information. Apparently there have been a string of burglaries in the Ardkeen area. One just a few houses away from mine. Police said it happened between 4pm and 8pm in the day!

Everyone be alert.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

There have been at least 3 that I know of, my friends house got done last Friday night, and there were two more done yesterday or the day before I believe. In my friends case, the wire to the Eircom Phonewatch box was cut and Eircom did not register any fault or anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭SimonClarke

Can you give any information about your friends house or the other please? Point of entry, method of entry, time of day it happened etc.. I've never had to deal with something like this before so I would prefer to be prepared if possible..

Was at night, sometime between 11pm and 1.30am. In through the back door after disconnecting the alarm, no finger prints left or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Deise_67

cutting de phone line would not
    stop the alarm going off locally, it would just stop the monitoring station from being alerted. had they the alarm turned on ?

Deise_67 wrote: »
    stop the alarm going off locally, it would just stop the monitoring station from being alerted. had they the alarm turned on ?

Yep, they cut the wires going into the box, the box must have been faulty or the thieves are extremely clever. No fault was registered by Phonewatch, no alarm went off. They are going to sue Phonewatch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

just looking at the n&s with the weekly update of robberies the town is out of control with vermin robbing peoples homes , the root of the problem is drugs and the increase in availability of smack, its time the cops go look to out the big boys and leave off chasin the mickey men around to boost their detection stats.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭decies

The root of the problem is scumbags that are not permantly locked up , if you have a list of convictions you should be put away longer and longer until you rot in there and none of this Christmas release **** either for your grandchilds christening . Do people ever get justice in this country !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

decies wrote: »
    The root of the problem is scumbags that are not permantly locked up , if you have a list of convictions you should be put away longer and longer until you rot in there and none of this Christmas release **** either for your grandchilds christening . Do people ever get justice in this country !!!

+1.

Well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

If a phone line is cut Eircom should still be alerted to loss of signal, phone watch is a flawed alarm system on so many levels that i couldnt even start on.

A word of interest to people in Ardkeen I was out there last saturday think it was the 18th at about 4.20pm, I was looking at houses for a friend who was is in the market, I dropped my kids off in Kidzone or run a muck what ever its called and i drove in to have a look so i remember the time quite clearly.

I drove in and took the first right went round had a look and made my way back out, as i was going out a lad was running up the road in a skanky old shell suit he looked well dodgy pale skin dirty clothes were dirty and he looked like he was on a mission, as i caught up with him he was still running and looking behind him and i noted at the time he was upto something, He was about 5.6 skinny with dirty blond hair, tight hair, deffo upto something, should i go to the guards with this info?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Hoffmans wrote: »
    just looking at the n&s with the weekly update of robberies the town is out of control with vermin robbing peoples homes , the root of the problem is drugs and the increase in availability of smack, its time the cops go look to out the big boys and leave off chasin the mickey men around to boost their detection stats.....

Wrong.

Dole being cut to 100 a week for young people is a big factor. Drugs are only a small part of it. Doesnt help when people pretend to be drug addicts when in court to get a lighter sentence and rehab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Were these burglaries in Ardkeen Village? or just the whole Ardkeen area in general?

H

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭garyscargo

Deise_67 wrote: »

PhoneWatch generally only install a dummy box outside on the wall so there's no external siren to sound outside as an effective local deterrent. This is not common with other alarm providers, who provide "live" external siren boxes (flashing LED thingys generally indicate a live/real box, and most alarm boxes you see will have these). Why are PhoneWatch installing dummy boxes instead? Well, we can only guess, but a dummy box renders an alarm system useless as a standalone so you are more likely to keep the monitoring, and it is also cheaper to provide, I guess. Snip the phone wires in the white plastic box at the side of the house and the monitoring is useless anyway, as we have seen in this thread (and, no, PhoneWatch or Eircom will not know that this is done immediately - they only make a test call into the system every day or so iirc). The alarm may sound locally, but only internally (no external siren) and in a double glazed house the neighbours might not hear it at all.Any alarm is better than none, but I would personally prefer a good standalone system installed by a good local alarm company such as JEC, DFS, Safeguide, etc. Just IMHO and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Hoffmans wrote: »
    Look for another story involving a grey passat soon im guessing

Advertisement