Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Being paid more than I should be

• 21-12-2012 3:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I've been getting paid a lot more in my job than I should be for a few months now. Nothing has been said. Am I in the wrong if I don't report it?

Planning to use the father ted "it was just resting in my account" defense if it's brought up at some point.

Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I don't know if you could be formally disciplined for it, but if it's noticeably more then you should be getting (i.e. you can't really claim you didn't notice), then you might not be doing yourself any favours with them if you don't report it.

The longer you leave it, the more you'll have to repay them if they do realise their error - and they are entitled to reclaim all the overpayments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you go direct to payroll, they will most likely be quite relieved that you spotted it and will just move to rectify the error rather than make a lot of noise about their mistake by trying to have you disciplined.

You could quite reasonably just say that you never really bother looking at your payslip or bank account in any detail, so you only noticed after a couple of months.

As Eoin says, they have the right to reclaim any overpayment so you want to nip this in the bud asap. They will eventually notice - probably when they do their EOY reporting or file their P35. So I think you're better off saying it to them before they say it to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

No need for a defense OP.

Payroll will be happy to fix this without going to the top management

If they wanted disciplinary action they'd be discipling themselves too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Jaffusmaximus

mikemac1 wrote: »
    No need for a defense OP.

Payroll will be happy to fix this without going to the top management

If they wanted disciplinary action they'd be discipling themselves too

The fact you posted means its on your mind and the only way to get it off it is to get it sorted. A clear conscience is worth more than a few quid unless you are Seanie Fitzpatrick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Take the money and run!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

If you are overpaid, the company can ask for the money back, but you are not obliged to hand it back.
    if you are underpaid then they must reimburse you with the shortfall.

However - in the real world companies can make work a living hell if you do not pay back,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

stoneill wrote: »
    If you are overpaid, the company can ask for the money back, but you are not obliged to hand it back.

That's not the case, and they are entitled to deduct it from your paycheck.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

stoneill wrote: »
    However - in the real world companies can make work a living hell if you do not pay back,

Actually in the real world companies are legally entitled to recover the overpayment and most do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Yep have seen this first hand with a former colleague in a different organisation, overpaid for 6 months and they knew from the first month they were getting overpaid and said nothing.

Payroll took it back over the next six months after much moaning by said employee and funnily enough he wasnt working there much longer.

Admit the error asap Op as it can only paint you in a bad light, everybody is aware of exactly how much they should be getting paid and ignorance is a very weak defence here.

I don't know about that, ignorance can be a defense.

I look at the final figure on internet banking but I never read my payslips.

With overtime the figure goes up and down every month.

Not everyone goes through their payslips line by line

• Advertisement

I don't know about that, ignorance can be a defense.

I look at the final figure on internet banking but I never read my payslips.

With overtime the figure goes up and down every month.

Not everyone goes through their payslips line by line

Again im not buying this, its up to the op what he does and i know every cent that goes through my payslip.

Why would you not want to account for every cent you earn or pay out?

It may be a defense but you can be sure it will be marked down and not forgotten by the company.

Only speaking for myself

A bit different from
    everybody is aware of exactly how much

Everybody does not check

Only speaking for myself

A bit different from

Everybody does not check

Fair enough this is all a bit pendantic anyways, good luck op and my advice is to sort it asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Turning a blind eye to it might and will hunt you in the future.

You might leave the job for a better job tomorrow and will need a reference.
    Think how it will plays out if you didn't report, and your employer views you as a dishonest individual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Report it and try to negotiate repayment rather than have the company take it back all at once. No disciplinary action will be taken unless you administer your own payroll.

A colleague of mine was overpaid over the period of about eight months. Nothing was said, but he only got about €100 in his December pay, which isn't what you want for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Juicyfruit

I think you should let them know op.

If they underpaid you, you'd sure as hell notice it and let them know straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

How much are you being over paid by OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I had a colleague who took the 4 days unpaid parental leave our company allows for the last 3 years and claims he never noticed that he had actually got paid for those days.
    The company figured it out this year and he was given 3 choices
    Take 12 day pay cut in the next month
    lose 12 days holidays
    or take a 2 day paycut per month for 6 months (or whatever he wanted as long it was recovered in 6 months)

They were quite insistent that the days would be recovered and would not broach a deal on splitting the difference

I also know of a case where a manager did not process the paperwork on a contract ending and an extra months pay was given to an individual. They went to court and won to get the money back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

I had a colleague who took the 4 days unpaid parental leave our company allows for the last 3 years and claims he never noticed that he had actually got paid for those days.
    The company figured it out this year and he was given 3 choices
    Take 12 day pay cut in the next month
    lose 12 days holidays
    or take a 2 day paycut per month for 6 months (or whatever he wanted as long it was recovered in 6 months)

I hope he didn't choose the highlighted option, as to my mind the employer shouldn't even have considered this as it would be in breach of the employees legal statutory entitlement (unless he gets 32 days leave a year).

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Anfield Road

P35's due to be filed next month, so it will be noticed then if not beforehand. Yes they will want the overpayment back & are fully entitled to it back plus if you argue with them you are only damaging your character & career. It is an error by payroll so once you approach them it will be regarded highly & a relief.
    On another note, have you checked your Tax Credits, perhaps there is a change there, did you claim extra credits, for example if you are married has your OH passed their tax credits onto you etc in the case that they are not working?.
    Anyway, you have to come clean asap it's not going to look good the longer you let it go on & I doubt very much you are looking forward to the tap on the shoulder from your manager or payroll dept for a "chat".

• Advertisement
Advertisement